J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Re: J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

Post by Ssinghal »

Both of the series are spectacular classics and are unique in their own way. Both are unreplaceable and have a unique place for themselves in the history of books. However, if I had to choose one of them, I think I'd rather go for the Harry Potter series since I'm more addicted to it and enjoyed it more than Hunger Games.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

I like both, but JK Rowling is brilliant.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

This indeed is a difficult question. Both of them are amazing but J.K Rowling is my all time favorite. So my vote goes to J.K Rowling :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

They are both amazing authors, but the Harry Potter series was a generational phenomenon, and continues to be in both books and movies. Like the craze surrounding these books has been astronomical and she still continues to sell millions of books a year a decade later.Also, Harry Potter has such a rich plot and setting that you think it actually exists. Still waiting on my letter to Hogwarts.... :cry:
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I am a big JK Rowling fan as you can see in my profile picture. The Harry Potter series is well-loved by my family especially by my dad. It would be amazing to write something that appeals to children and to 60 year olds.
jillianjones99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jillianjones99 »

J.K. Rowling is my favorite author and my idol, so I would have to pick her. As much as I love The Hunger Games series, Harry Potter was better in my opinion. But, they are two different genres, so it's hard to compare. J.K. Rowling is an amazing author and she put so much thought and detail into the Harry Potter books. I love that there wasn't really a love story with Harry Potter, it was more about the adventure and defeating the enemy. Although, I have read J.K. Rowling's other books, such as The Cuckoo's Calling, and I wasn't impressed.
ginnypxtter
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ginnypxtter »

For me, it would have to be J.K. Rowling all the way. I liked The Hunger Games, but it never stayed stuck to me. However, as soon as I finished The Philosopher's Stone, I was hooked with the story and read on till the end of the series. Her writing was enough to get me to buy Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and The Casual Vacancy.
Quirinius
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Quirinius »

Am thinking of starting reading the book right now.
Shireks Nancy
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shireks-nancy.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by Shireks Nancy »

Definitely J.K Rowling, but I love Suzzanne too.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I loved The Hunger Games, but I've got to go with J.K. Rowling. Her story is timeless. Suzanne Collins created an incredibly popular series but Rowling created an international phenomenon. Like my brother, who never reads, would have no idea who I was talking about if I said Katniss Everdeen. He might say it sounded familiar. But he knows exactly who Harry Potter is because Harry Potter is iconic. I guess I just personally believe it has more staying power. The Hunger Games took me to a place where I could talk myself into thinking I had a chance of not dying instantly if I were in the games. That was nice. But Rowling took me to a place I want to go again and again. Also, I'm going to be real, that billion dollar nest egg would be pretty sweet. 8)
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I would say J.K. Rowling. The series is more loved, I think. Although both series are popular and very successful.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

It's J.K. Rowling. How she managed to pull off seven books with unnoticeable inconsistencies is to be praised. :D
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Jan Moraa Onsomu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9266">Kite Runner</a>
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jan-moraa-onsomu.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Jan Moraa Onsomu »

J.K. Rowling! I'd say so because she was my first real inspiration as far as novels are concerned. However, I'd give Suzanne Collins a chance for showing up right beside J.K.Rowling on this post!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
hlc85
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hlc85.html
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by hlc85 »

I can easily say that I wish that I had written the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. I adore the characters in her series and they progress so much over the novels. These books have greatly affected literature and she has become a household name. It is an author's dream come true.
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

J.K. Rowling, because I haven't read a Susan Collins book yet

Return to “Discuss Authors”