J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Chirlerona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chirlerona.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: What's Heartfulness? by Frankie B. Rabbit

Re: J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

Post by Chirlerona »

For me there is no comparison, it is J.K.Rowling all the way.I like reading books by Suzanme Collins, but the number of times I re-read Harry Potter proves that J.K.Rowling's style of writing and imagination is much more appealing to my character.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

J.K. Rowling. Hands down. I loved the Hunger Games series but it wasn't as revolutionary and awe-inspiring as the Harry Potter franchise. Not only that, I grew up reading these series, watching and waiting for the movies. I totally feel that they're in a separate realm and shouldn't be compared because I feel that Collins' work is noteworthy just not on par with Rowling's.
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

angiejack456 wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 12:35 I love both series. They are both amazing reads. However, my vote has to be for J.K. Rowling. Her world building, plot complexities, and character development are above and beyond.
Couldn't agree more with this - both authors are incredible and have written brilliant series, but J K Rowling will always get my vote.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

J.K. Rowling - I like that series a little better over all, and if I am choosing which one I would have preferred to write, it would be the one that is vastly more popular ha
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
hisamluv
Currently Reading: Sonar The Surge
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hisamluv.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by hisamluv »

I choose J. K. Rowlings she's my favorite all the time. Suzane Collins can com in later.

Besides Harry Porter has an edge over the Hunger Games.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

J.K Rowling for sure. The Harry Potter series is just unreal. The books are so well written and so imaginative. I’m such a huge Potter fan and so are all of my friends.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think I prefer Suzanne Collins, as I am not a fan of Harry Potter at all, and I prefer the Hunger Games.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I have to admit I don't find Suzanne Collins that exceptional. She was at the front of dystopian young adult fiction, but then the market was just flooded. It wasn't her fault of course but there's still nothing out there like Harry Potter for me. I also think Hunger Games took a lot of ideas from other places (ancient Rome for starters) whereas I find J. K. Rowling original.
Athena04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Athena04 »

I would love to have written the Harry Potter book because they were my childhood and I still adore them. And you can say I’m a complete Potterhead and I have never read the Hungergames books because I was never really interested in them. So I choose J.K. Rowling!!!
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

I'm not really a fan of either. Hunger Games was ok. Which would I have rather written? Harry Potter, I guess. She's made way more money :lol:
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

JK Rowling for sure! She is a genius storyteller with an unimaginable imagination. Collins also does great work but nothing beats the intricacies and detail of Harry Potter.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Rae15
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rae15 »

First thing to consider is do you mean to pick between the author themselves or the series?
Second thing, I am comparing by writing style, plotline and impact on myself. I pick the Harry potter because I have grown up reading it and it has shaped me. The Hunger Games was a really good series but it didn't have as much impact on me. The plotline in both books were amazing and had very little holes. The way that the authors had used detail zooming to make every chapter to blend is very impressive. As expected since they are experienced authors with years of expirience. But I will have to choose Harry Potter again because during the first three pages i was already very interested and I was only in 5th grade at the time. It took me until the 3rd chapter to really get interested in The Hunger games. I did read it when I was a bit older though.
They are both amazing authors and have their own strengths and weaknesses. If we were talking about just the authors my opinion might have changed.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I believe J.K. Rowling comes out superior in worldbuilding, but Collins creates a stunning portrayal of PTSD in a character, and holds a mirror to the darker sides of life that are explored with trope subversion and morally ambiguous but developed characters. (Though of course J.K. Rowling had compelling and developed characters, they don't manage to hit the same level of dark complexity in three books.)

Of course, that's expected of their genres: Collins is post-apolyptic YA, which is intended to show the real and the gritty, while Rowling writes what's mostly regarded as middle grade fantasy, which had fantastic worldbuilding.
Reviewer1969
Currently Reading: Avatar: The Last Airbender-North and South
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer1969.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Reviewer1969 »

I think this question depends on who the reader is and what their level of patience is. For example, a young teen who wants to enter a world of magic that isn't too startlingly different from their own would be more inclined to read Harry Potter. This is especially true of people who are willing and able to read a hefty 7 book long series to get to its inner depths, an overarching commentary on race, extremist groups and society.

The Hunger Games series, however, is far more fast paced. It is jarringly obvious to the reader from the first handful of chapter that the series is combating the idea of oppressive, communist like estates that have complete control over its people. It also comments on humanity as a whole, similar to Harry Potter, but does so in a far more direct way. The downside is that it loses key audience members from the start who criticize it for being too intense.

I think J.K. Rowling, and by default Harry Potter, is a better writer because she is able to attack these incredibly important themes in a clear, yet not offensive manner. It changes the readers perspective on how they address those different from them as they read the book rather then yelling at them that things must change, which is how it feels when reading Hunger Games. Sometimes more subtle approaches are the most impactful because it gets to the root.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

They are both amazing authors, but the Harry Potter world is so much more involved and complex that I would go with JK Rowling.

Return to “Discuss Authors”