J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
randomreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomreader.html

J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

Post by randomreader »

J.K. Rowling and Suzanne Collins are two very acclaimed authors of the Harry Potter series and The Hunger Games. If you were one of them, which series would you rather have written?
k_ruff
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-ruff.html

Post by k_ruff »

That is a very hard question. they are both wonderful writers with their own style and technique. I am a fan of both series, but I would have to go with the Harry Potter series. I think it has so much more of an intricate story and honestly I am extremely attached to those characters and I would have to choose that series over The Hunger Games.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I am with Harry Potter series as well!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
arnaleigh
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arnaleigh.html
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran

Post by arnaleigh »

As am I! Harry Potter was the first series I read and I even waited in line for the last one so those books will always be special to me
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran
ElisaMac
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisamac.html

Post by ElisaMac »

J.K. Rowling all the way! I loved both series, but the Harry Potter books are the ones I gift continually!
Ashah Taylor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashah-taylor.html

Post by Ashah Taylor »

Harry Potter. Harry was a huge part of my childhood (not that I'm much better now)
hasmartz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasmartz.html

Post by hasmartz »

I would have to say Rowling. I think I'll be rereading her books for years to come. I enjoyed The Hunger Games, but I can't see myself becoming attached to them in the same way. I have yet to feel the urge to read that series again, no matter how good it was the first time.
tstaf4d
Favorite Book: My Name is Memory
Currently Reading: Marcelo in the Real World
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tstaf4d.html

Post by tstaf4d »

J.K. Rowling most definitely. Nothing against Collins, but I enjoy Rowling's writing style more.
"Words are heavy" The Book Thief
Ammonia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=25016">I heart Vegas</a>
Currently Reading: Paws and Jaws
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammonia.html

Post by Ammonia »

I don't think there should be any discussing on the subject. It's wrong to do so, because it would cause arguments among Rowling's fans and Collins' fans. Besides, they don't really have much in common in order to be compared. Collins' is writing about the post-apocalyptic struggle, while Rowling has written about growing up in a world of magic.
No offense to the author of the topic, but I really don't see how the two could be compared. :)
Snevets1

Post by Snevets1 »

That is a difficult question. For me I would say Rowlings Harry Potter Series. There was so much going on and there are many areas to explore in the world that was created. The books could go on forever. Im still wanting to have Hogwarts: A History written ... it would be quite the read.
Savenysis
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Have not found it yet
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Savenysis »

I would have to say J.K. Rowling. As much as I enjoyed Suzanne Collins books, J.K. Rowlings books shaped my childhood. And if I could be either of them, I would go with J.K. in a heartbeat. To be able to give such a gift to the world would be absolutely monumental!
louisemwilcox13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louisemwilcox13.html

Post by louisemwilcox13 »

While I love both series dearly, I am going to have to go with J.K. Rowling. I grew up with her books and I feel that her characters are more easy to relate to and that there are important life lessons about growing up hidden in the plot. She has a remarkable ability to make you feel as if you are growing with the characters.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.” -George R.R. Martin
jennyinneverland
Favorite Author: Cecelia Ahern
Favorite Book: The Beach by Alex Garland
Currently Reading: Red Hill by Jamie Mcguire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyinneverland.html
fav_author_id: 2698

Post by jennyinneverland »

I don't think you can compare really, they're both COMPLETELY different. Different stories, writing style, everything so it's just a matter of opinion. I haven't read all the Harry Potter books (hangs head in shame) but I have read all the hunger games.
authorkcfinn
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authorkcfinn.html

Post by authorkcfinn »

I'd have to go with J.K. Rowling too, but simply because there's so much opportunity to explore the world she's created and do new things with her wonderful characters! If I were her I'd certainly be writing more books!
Javon149

Post by Javon149 »

Just to give you some background knowledge on me. I started reading when The Hunger Games was recommended to me. And I have recently gotten into the Harry Potter series (Just started the Order of the Phoenix).
So The Hunger Games series has really gotten me into reading. I immediately fell in love with the plot and characters' conflict. I enjoyed reading the books and then seeing the movies (OMG!) It was awesome, I'm a major fan.
But after reading The Hunger Games series I started the Harry Potter series and I love it. As I told you, I just recently started the fifth book and so much takes place within the series. I believe J.K. Rowling does an amazing job creating a completely new and unknown world and exploring it is simply incredible. And I believe for this reason J.K. Rowling takes the cake!

But honestly how can you compare such great (and different) authors.
Oh wait! I just did!

Return to “Discuss Authors”