J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

Post by Zora C Penter »

It is hard for me to compare, one was targeted more toward children than the other. However, I do feel that Suzanne Collins had more of an underlying message to tell than Rowling and that each of her individual characters had their own growth arcs. How much did any of the Gryffindor trio really grow other than in age across all 7 books, particularly Ron and Hermione?
Dorothy_Harman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dorothy_Harman »

My vote for Rowling. I like the Harry Potter series of books. She is really magical. But I didn’t like the play “Cursed Child”. I believe that Rowling finished the Harry Potter story by writing seven books.
Jill Pollini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jill Pollini »

Harry Potter for sure! Although I got into the series a little later than most people do, I found the Hunger Games to be a little bit cliche. Harry Potter was much more complex story with side plots interwoven into it. Harry Potter is much more enjoyable for me!
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Harry Potter! Hunger Games is good, but no book can be in the same league as Harry Potter. I am team J.K Rowling all the way!
R Lawrence
Currently Reading: The Poppy War
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-lawrence.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by R Lawrence »

I am going to have to go with Harry Potter. I was never able to really get into the Hunger Games.
Ana Paola Tames
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Ana Paola Tames »

I say J.K. Rowling!! As much as I enjoyed Suzanne Collins books, J.K. Rowlings books shaped my childhood.
Fifi_eve12
Currently Reading: The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

That's a difficult question to answer for me! In the case of their literature works, I would go with Suzanne Collins, as the Hunger Games is one one of my all-time favourite books and I found the characters more realistic (behaviour wise). But personally, I would go with JK Rowling, as she was so determined to get her books published and I find her really inspiring. :tiphat:
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Rowling, for sure.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Vianca_Aro3
Currently Reading: Next Time You Feel Lonely...
Bookshelf Size: 314
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vianca_Aro3 »

I can't choose between them but if I wanted to plant hope in children who are in desperate need of good values, I will choose the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.

Thanks to the Wizarding World I can dream without moving.

The Hunger Games is excellent but dark at first, strong children will be strong adults.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I would rather have written Harry Potter only because it's a coming of age story wrapped up in so many other genres and I find those particularly hard to write.
Burnaard+42
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-burnaard-42.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Burnaard+42 »

I love both of them and it would not be good to discriminate any, but if my life depended on the choice, Harry Potter's author would take the day. So yes J.K. Rowling it is.
Squidnnneyyy99+
Currently Reading: Sadie
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-squidnnneyyy99.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Squidnnneyyy99+ »

I'll be honest, I have never sat down to read the Harry Potter series. I have read theHunger Game series however, and I feel like I already know this answer. I remember when the HG movie came out and everyone my age wanted to see it. I remember even people who had not read a book in years picked up this series and loved it. So I would rather be Suxanne Collins because she inspired everyone to read her books.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

The Harry Potter series will always have a special place in my heart, so my vote would have to be for J.K. Rowling. The world she created is truly spectacular, and re-reading Harry Potter is just like returning home!
elizaron878
Currently Reading: The Copyist
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizaron878.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by elizaron878 »

J.K Rowling without a doubt, Her imagination is out of this world.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Nightreaderx
Currently Reading: Unhinged
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nightreaderx »

If I could choose to be one of these authors I would want to be J.K Rowling. The amount of creativity and imagination that has been put into her work is astounding. Not only did she write the Harry Potter novels, but she also wrote the fantastic beasts and where to find them, which is also a part of the wizarding world, just with different characters and in a different time period. If I could have even one-quarter of her talent, I would feel so privileged.

Return to “Discuss Authors”