John Grisham

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
beth+krueger
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-krueger.html

Re: John Grisham

Post by beth+krueger »

The first book I read by John Grisham was The Firm. What a fantastic book!!! I was hooked on his style and have thoroughly enjoyed reading him since.
MRosalina
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrosalina.html

Post by MRosalina »

I love all of them - just not too many in a row, as the themes can be a bit similar.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Once I saw Grisham's books described as "American Literature." I was surprised to hear a contemporary, prolific author described that way, but you know, it's true. I prefer those books that are set in the South, where you get a fuller taste of that rich, dark, interesting culture. I like "A Painted House." The books that move faster, and take place mostly inside a cutthroat law firm ... not so much. But even the ones that I don't really like, are truly page-turners and hard to just toss aside half-finished.

I'm not as fond of the scenes of horror that sometimes come up in his books. Try to just skim those.
Moe4522
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moe4522.html
Latest Review: "The Sins of His Grandmother" by Jeremy Francis

Post by Moe4522 »

I am kind of on the fence with John Grisham unfortunately. I have read many of his books, somewhere between 5-10 and i find that i am almost always dissatisfied with the endings. Each book is such a page turner and then at the end it seems as if he rushes through to finish. It's as if there isn't as much detail or imagination as the pages prior. I wish he would put more effort or at least the same effort in the endings as he does throughout the rest of the book. The endings matter too!
Latest Review: "The Sins of His Grandmother" by Jeremy Francis
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Yes, Moe4522, I would not say that about all his books, but I can think of some that would make me agree with you.
andicakes9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andicakes9.html

Post by andicakes9 »

John Grisham is one my favorite authors! My grandma gave me one of his new books "Sycamore Row" as a Christmas gift but I found out it had some of the same characters as "A Time to Kill" so I read that one first. A Time to Kill was a slow start I didn't start loving it till page 200+ and from then on it was great. In this book I got goosebumps and cried. After I read both books I read Pelican Brief and The Firm and I just bought The Broker. At Half Price Books his books are normally $3 so you can easily get through his 28 books. BTW, don't watch the movies they suck.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I own several of his books, but I have to space the out a bit when I read them. They are all so well written, but reading them one after another becomes a little boring to me.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Denise16
Currently Reading: Somebody Love Me
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Denise16 »

I do like him a lot, unfortunately, I haven't read many of his books. The only one I read was The Testament. I really enjoyed that one.
heather_kathryn
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather-kathryn.html

Post by heather_kathryn »

I enjoy John Grisham's books, and often listen to them in the car on CDs from the library.
j jagelovicz
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-jagelovicz.html

Post by j jagelovicz »

Grisham is an author that I repeatedly return to. I read my first John Grisham book, The Pelican Brief, in 7th grade and I've been reading his stuff ever since. My all time favorite is A Time To Kill. However, I also loved The Chamber, The Street Lawyer, The King Of Torts, Bleachers, and The Testament. I recently picked up a copy of The Rogue Lawyer and I can't wait to start it!
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

Reading The Rogue Lawyer now and enjoy its fast pace.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I know I have read one but it's been a long time and I can't remember which one it was
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I love him soo much, I mean his books. The Firm started it all for me. I'm currently on The Rainmaker. I loved The Client. I read and watched The Pelican Brief. I've read several of his books and I got the PDF versions of the ones I haven't read. I am so in love in love with his books; he always keeps me glued.

-- 13 Jun 2017, 05:13 --
Moe4522 wrote:I am kind of on the fence with John Grisham unfortunately. I have read many of his books, somewhere between 5-10 and i find that i am almost always dissatisfied with the endings. Each book is such a page turner and then at the end it seems as if he rushes through to finish. It's as if there isn't as much detail or imagination as the pages prior. I wish he would put more effort or at least the same effort in the endings as he does throughout the rest of the book. The endings matter too!

Okay, as much as I love his books, I'll be honest. This is absolutely true. I personally like the fact that he leaves you shocked at the end of his books in that you're wondering if that's really the end. But then, a lot of people like books to have a thrilling and action-filled end.
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

Just finished his newest novel, Camino Island. Curious what people think? I really enjoyed the read.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
vilana74
Currently Reading: Sandy's Story
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by vilana74 »

I really liked Grisham's A Time To Kill and read a few more of his books after that one.
However, I stopped at The Runaway Jury... lost interest, I guess. I found Grisham too repetitive and formulaic. But it was a long time ago. I've read a lot of Patterson since then... and he is too: repetitive and formulaic

Do you suggest I return to Grisham? What book should I pick up first?
Thanks

Return to “Discuss Authors”