Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

Post by KCWolf »

Lewis Carroll, Hans Christian Andersen, and The Brothers Grimm.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

As a child, it was Frances Hodgson Burnett. The Secret Garden was okay, but my favorites were A Little Princess and The Lost Prince.

As a teen, it was Iris Johansen. This was back in the days she was still writing romance.

Now, it's Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb, Christine Feehan, and Kyle Mills' contributions to Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp political thrillers.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
HopeW
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hopew.html
Latest Review: Guilty When Black by Carol Mersch

Post by HopeW »

When I was a kid my go to was Lemony Snickett. I had to read every new book in 'The Series of Unfortunate Events' as soon as they came out!

Now, I collect and am working on reading all of the Stephen King Novels. Preferably, in order of publication. He had me at The Shining!
Claudia Thornton
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-thornton.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Claudia Thornton »

I used to really love the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, but I got out of them by my late 20s. I suppose you could say I outgrew them. I read most of them at one point, though I did miss the last two or three before he died. My current favorite author is probably J.D. Robb, though to be truthful I have so many favorite authors that I'm having trouble keeping up. Catherine Coulter, her FBI series, is another favorite, as is the spinoff series with J.T. Ellison.
piplup45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piplup45.html
Latest Review: Veil of Secrecy by Margaret Franceschini

Post by piplup45 »

My first author obsession was Mary Pope Osborne, the author of the Magic Tree House books. I discovered them in 2nd or 3rd grade and always had a few of them checked out at the library.

The first author obsession I had whose books I actually count as books was J.K Rowling. I discovered the Harry Potter books in 3rd grade when only the first 3 were released. From that point on, I had an aunt who loved that I was reading such big books and took me to every single book and movie midnight release.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

The first author that I read all books by was Gertrude Chandler Warner, the author of The Boxcar Children series. I also remember a time that I read all of Phyllis Whitney's books. I know they are two totally different genres but they were at very different times of my life.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

Brian Jacques. I read every book in the Redwall series and convinced my parents to let me join the online forums to discuss them.

I found Ted Dekker a little later on through his Lost Books series but wasn't allowed to read many of his books (for good reason) until I was older. His books were really my first introduction to suspense/horror.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

APoohW wrote: 26 Mar 2014, 08:56 Dr. Seuss, I remember sitting on my dads knee and reading them. My Mom and Dad enrolled me in the Dr. Seuss club when I was three, I was reading by myself at the age of four. I guess there started my love for reading by the age of 6 I was reading books that were written for teens they were called the Avon series and Judy Blume. My kindergaten teacher hated me because I was reading and writting already so she really had nothing to teach me except math, and I absolutly positively HATED Math! I knew my numbers thanks to Dr. Seuss but that was it.
I have never been a fan of the Dr. Seuss books. I love the Grinch, but I just never cared for the books.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

Most of the Harry Potter books were either read personally or read to me. The only person that plowed through the HP books was my classmate from high school who also looked forward to the movies as they were always released on or near her birthday. For me, I've read most of Paul Danziger's Amber Brown books when I was growing up.

HP Lovecraft is a close candidate. Even though I haven't read all of his works, I've read a majority with Edgar Allen Poe being a close second.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Strangeminds wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 11:48 For me, it was Enid Blyton. I read one of her books in 'the Malory towers' series when I was in the fourth standard and really loved it. I wanted to read all books in the series and read most of it and her 'famous five' series and the 'secret seven' series. Even today, if I stumble upon one of her books in the library, I readily grab them without doubt
Ooh, me too! I like Enid Blyton as well, although the "Famous Five" and "Secret Seven" were never my favorites. I loved her short stories and "Magic Faraway Tree," but the absolute best ones for me were the two "Six Cousins" books.

As for me, I think the first author I had to read everything by was Junji Ito. He writes horror manga, and his stuff's a little off-the-wall, but that's why I love him. He reminds me a lot of Stephen King ;)
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

As a kid, I loved Laura Ingalls Wilder and Ann M. Martin. I don't know that I was able to read every one of Martin's books (The Babysitter's Club has about a million different stories) but I tried. In High school, I read through all of Jodi Picoult's and Nicholas Sparks'.
Strangeminds
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangeminds.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Strangeminds »

JudasFm wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 08:36
Strangeminds wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 11:48 For me, it was Enid Blyton. I read one of her books in 'the Malory towers' series when I was in the fourth standard and really loved it. I wanted to read all books in the series and read most of it and her 'famous five' series and the 'secret seven' series. Even today, if I stumble upon one of her books in the library, I readily grab them without doubt
Ooh, me too! I like Enid Blyton as well, although the "Famous Five" and "Secret Seven" were never my favorites. I loved her short stories and "Magic Faraway Tree," but the absolute best ones for me were the two "Six Cousins" books.

As for me, I think the first author I had to read everything by was Junji Ito. He writes horror manga, and his stuff's a little off-the-wall, but that's why I love him. He reminds me a lot of Stephen King ;)
Oh! I haven't read the 'six cousins' book but now its definitely on my to read list. Thank you for the recommendation.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Strangeminds wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 23:58 Oh! I haven't read the 'six cousins' book but now its definitely on my to read list. Thank you for the recommendation.
They're both fantastic :D The first one is "Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm" and the sequel is "Six Cousins Again." It's really worth reading them in order. They're a little more serious than Blyton's usual books and there are no lashings of ginger beer or Good People vs. Bad People; just people being people. She had a very shrewd grasp on human nature ;)

They're available to read on Open Library, but they were misfiled under "A book of Animal Stories."
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

Laura Ingalls Wilder was the first author that I asked my mom to buy me all of the books. I still get nostalgic thinking about it! I also love Anne McCaffrey. I own many books by her and went through a dragon phase for many years.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Melina the reader
Currently Reading: A New Earth
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Melina the reader »

I really love everything by the German author Kerstin Gier. She wrote the ruby red trilogy and the silver trilogy (dream a little dream). Read them when I was about 13 and 16 but I would still read them again because I think she is just a brilliant author. I love love love her humour and somehow she manages to be funny but still create suspense and a romantic atmosphere at the same time. I would really read anything she writes.

Return to “Discuss Authors”