Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Danni6
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

Post by Danni6 »

My dad bought me the Christmas Box book written by Richard Paul Evans when I was a little girl. As an adult I still have to read every book he publishes.
flawless-farry

Post by flawless-farry »

wole soyinka was my favourite author when i was a kid back then... i gat to read everything by him..
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

kirknicola wrote: 17 Jan 2014, 05:31
uab_blazer wrote:Matt Christopher, he has written over a hundred books, so I never actually read them all, but I wanted to as a child.

I read Gaiman's American Gods and was extremely underwhelmed. Are there any other books of his that I should another try?
As a child, I loved Enid Blyton and tried to read almost everything I could find of hers. I looked up Matt Christopher, I see he wrote novels that centred around sport, and I was never very sporty.

You are one of the only people I've ever met who was underwhelmed by American Gods :) ... You probably wouldn't like Anansi Boys then ... Why don't you try a short story analogy like Fragile Things, or Smoke and Mirrors? That way you can find whether there's anything within his scope you'd like, quickly.
I was also underwhelmed by American Gods, as was the rest of the book group I was in :D sorry. Will keep trying.

When I was I child, I read all of Enid Blyton that I could get my hands on.
My dad got a complete Sherlock Holmes book (56 stories, 4 novels) and I quickly read them all (I was 12/13).
Agatha Christie was (mostly) done when I was in my teens/20s.
All the Harry Potter books when they came out.
Have not read the complete works of anyone else.
Last edited by Charlaigne on 07 Jul 2018, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

Ashley Simon wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 09:37 As a kid I picked up Little Women and grew obsessed with Louisa May Alcott. This year I've been unable to resist anything Margaret Atwood. I read The Edible Women last December and immediately plowed my way through The Handmaid's Tale, Alias Grace, The Heart Goes Last, Stone Mattress, The Blind Assassin, Hag-Seed, Bluebeard's Egg, and her essay collection Writing with Intent. Still feel like I haven't made a dent in her collection! Next on my list is Oryx and Crake, The Year of the Flood, and Cat's Eye. :)
Glad to see another Atwood fan! Which are your faves?

I have a soft spot for Cat's Eye (haven't read as many as you).
S Chinaski
Currently Reading: Before They're Gone
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshiercat.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by S Chinaski »

oceana wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 23:58 The first author that I had to read everything by was Brian Jacques. His Redwall series was so good that I went to the library every chance I got to get more until all of them were read and I was disappointed. :(
The "Redwall" series was absolutely magical for me when I was young!

I also got hung up on a series called "Animorphs" as a boy and loved everything "Goosebumps," "Nancy Drew," and "Encyclopedia Brown."

When I revived my love for reading as a young adult, it was primarily on mass quantities of Stephen Hunter, James Rollins, and Dean Koontz to start out with. Lol
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Agatha Christie! And she wrote a lot of books...but such good whodunnits.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

LunaRowan wrote: 25 Sep 2013, 02:19 The Boxcar Children were by far my siblings and my favorite books growing up! I have a meet so my kids will be able to read them one day. :)
I have the best memories of my mom reading these to me and my brother when we were kids! These books could be the reason I love to read. So thanks, mom, for reading to me!!!
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I discovered Sarah Dessen in middle school and still read the books she puts out. Her books are fun for young girls and I ate up every story! She also sets all her books in North Carolina, which is where I am from, that was a fun bonus for me growing up.
BrentM49

Post by BrentM49 »

My favorite Author is James Patterson. I am sure everyone knows James and his books. Kiss the girls was the first I read by him before the movie came out, then came along came a spider. All the Alex cross series were great. I have noticed that now he really just adds his name to let other authors pen the books.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

R L Stine! I loved the Goosebumps and Point Horror books from being 11, and read every single one by Stine held by our local library within a year.

I loved the rush of horror, the intrigue of things that go bump in the night. Stine was the first author that ever truly grabbed me.

Thank you for starting this post, thinking about this has really brought back some memories for me :)
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

kverrell wrote: 17 Jun 2015, 10:09 The first author I HAD to read everything by was J.K. Rowling. I was at the release parties for the later Harry Potter books, and would speed through them in a weekend. I was mystified by the world she created. As an adult, I find myself having to read everything by John Irving. His books have such complex characters, and I have enjoyed most of his books.
Have you read The Fourth Hand?
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

I think for me that author will be lisa kleypas. I have read her every book.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
Jmar_la
Currently Reading: Toxic Side Effect
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmar-la.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Jmar_la »

That would be Jan Karon and Francine Rivers. I have read each of theirs as soon as the books come out.
kamanden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamanden.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by kamanden »

John Kìrìamìtì. I read his series of books from "My Life in Crime", "My Life with a Criminal", to "Son of Fate".
jdy
Currently Reading: We Make God Cry
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdy.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by jdy »

I have a couple authors I love to read everything they have written. I really like Danielle Steele, her books are interesting, and she has so many I am amazed that every book is different. I also love V.C. Andrews although I have had to stop and start on hers sometimes because they could become so dark at times.

Return to “Discuss Authors”