Willa Cather

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Willa Cather

Post by Carolreads30 »

Have you read many Willa Cather stories? My freshman year of college I took a winter semester class that involved the stories written by her. I believe that she is a misunderstood author at times, but very well written.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I agree. She is one of America's greatest authors, but she never seems to get the acknowledgement she deserves from the public anymore. I have read many of her novels, but I think the one that stands out most in my mind is My Antonia. I was fortunate to have an excellent teacher of literature in my freshman year of high school and this was one of the books we covered. Cather's themes were largely centered on "the land" and man's settlement of it. Antonia was an excellent representation of that theme. Her books also gave voice to the changes wrought by time to the land by people and also to people by their association with the land. I suppose these themes are not as popular today. Today the focus seems to be upon sci-fi, thrillers, and personality manipulations.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Carolreads30
Currently Reading:

Post by Carolreads30 »

DATo wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 07:34 I agree. She is one of America's greatest authors, but she never seems to get the acknowledgement she deserves from the public anymore. I have read many of her novels, but I think the one that stands out most in my mind is My Antonia. I was fortunate to have an excellent teacher of literature in my freshman year of high school and this was one of the books we covered. Cather's themes were largely centered on "the land" and man's settlement of it. Antonia was an excellent representation of that theme. Her books also gave voice to the changes wrought by time to the land by people and also to people by their association with the land. I suppose these themes are not as popular today. Today the focus seems to be upon sci-fi, thrillers, and personality manipulations.
I agree that she does not get the acknowledgement that she deserves. I had not considered that her themes were just not popular today. I would like to reread some of the books by her. In college, I enjoyed "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings"
DATo

Post by DATo »

Carolreads30 wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 16:44
DATo wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 07:34 I agree. She is one of America's greatest authors, but she never seems to get the acknowledgement she deserves from the public anymore. I have read many of her novels, but I think the one that stands out most in my mind is My Antonia. I was fortunate to have an excellent teacher of literature in my freshman year of high school and this was one of the books we covered. Cather's themes were largely centered on "the land" and man's settlement of it. Antonia was an excellent representation of that theme. Her books also gave voice to the changes wrought by time to the land by people and also to people by their association with the land. I suppose these themes are not as popular today. Today the focus seems to be upon sci-fi, thrillers, and personality manipulations.
I agree that she does not get the acknowledgement that she deserves. I had not considered that her themes were just not popular today. I would like to reread some of the books by her. In college, I enjoyed "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings"
Ummm... I don't think Cather wrote I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. That was written by Maya Angelou.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Carolreads30
Currently Reading:

Post by Carolreads30 »

DATo wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 17:04
Ummm... I don't think Cather wrote I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. That was written by Maya Angelou.
You are correct! I was thinking about The Song of The Lark. I am so sorry that I made such a mistake. I love Maya Angelou as well.
DATo

Post by DATo »

Carolreads30 wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 17:16
DATo wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 17:04

You are correct! I was thinking about The Song of The Lark. I am so sorry that I made such a mistake. I love Maya Angelou as well.
No problem. You know, believe it or not I had a hunch you were thinking of The Song of The Lark.
― Steven Wright
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I absolutely love Willa Cather. I think she is an incredible author. Her only works I’ve read are My Antonia and O Pioneers, both of which were very good.
-Thea M. Frederick

Return to “Discuss Authors”