Have you ever met an author in person?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Re: Have you ever met an author in person?

Post by Corina Elena »

Funny story really...the only author I can say I've met is this woman that wrote a not-so-popular book when I was in high school. I would like to say I was moved or impressed, but unfortunately, that is not the case. We went with my entire class to see her present the book and in the end, we could buy a copy each and she would sign it. Naturally, I bought a book and gave it to her to sign. When I read what she wrote, it was something on the lines of "don't worry, he will come. You just have to have patience", hinting to a possible relationship in my future. I was so disgusted by it, really. I guess she thought a 16-year-old girl would have nothing else on her mind than wanting to meet a boy, which was really, really not the case for me. Kind of insulting.
Billhill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Billhill »

William Taylor used to read his books to us when I was at primary school.
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

I've had opportunities but I've been depriving myself because as an aspiring author myself, it gives me motivation to work hard and meet them someday and have them remember me too. It's petty, I know, but it keeps me going.
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
heena abdul majeed

Post by heena abdul majeed »

I met Lesley Kagan, creator of Whistling in the Dark. She lives in my general vicinity and went to a gathering of my book club. She was so much fun and rational ...
SavannahJones
Currently Reading: I will make of thee a great nation
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannahjones.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SavannahJones »

I met a newer author last year when she came to talk to Junior and Senior English classes at my high school. Her name is Amy Trueblood, and she wrote the book Nothing But Sky. She was really inspiring and informational, as I would someday like to be an author too. She gave me a free copy of her book and signed it for me. It was one of the coolest moments of my life! (And it didn't hurt that her book was pretty stinking awesome!)
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

R.A. Salvatore, fantasy writer, at my local library about 20 years ago. E. Ethelbert Miller, poet who taught at my college. Britney Cooper, cultural critic, a classmate of mine. Walter Mosley, novelist, in the green room at a Black History Month event. And Greg Pardlo, poet, who taught at a college I worked at.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius
Amd511

Post by Amd511 »

The only author I’ve met was James Patterson at a book signing for his novel “The Store”. I still have not read the book as I heard mixed reviews about it, but he also spoke about many of his other series during the interview. Would love to meet many others, specifically, Lee Child, Janet Evanovich, John Grisham, etc.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I’ve never met any author in person, but I wish I could! I would love to talk to the authors of my favorite books and ask them what inspired their stories, as well as ask for advice on how to go about writing a book.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

Yes I met Ngugi Was Thiong'o when he was launching his latest book "Kenda Muyuiru". He is an intellect and we'll exposed to politics and their tricks.
Wanja Kenya
Andy_C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andy-c.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Andy_C »

I met Deborah Levy, who I found quite arrogant. Horatio Clare was amazing and really humble. Shena McKay was great. I was taught by Alison Fell during my Masters degree, and she was the most inspiring writer I ever met. Also met Aamer Hussein, who is a very nice perceptive man, and generous with his time.
slins13
Currently Reading: The Instant Champagne Expert
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slins13.html

Post by slins13 »

Ray Bradbury came every year to our high school. He was a close friend of one of my teachers.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I actually have not had the chance to meet any authors but I really would like to. Maybe one day!
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Unfortunately, I have never met a famous author in person, but I hope someday I will.
Wendy11974
Currently Reading: Chin
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by Wendy11974 »

I had the pleasure of meeting several authors when I worked at a bookstore. I can honestly say my favorite was Colleen Hoover. She, Abbi Glines, and Jaime MacGuire came all together and it was so much fun. They were all so nice and as authors not demanding. The worse was Rev Run and Tyrese.
xjulirenae

Post by xjulirenae »

I went to WriteOut summer camp in Cedar City in 2017 and 2019. I was lucky to meet Shannon Hale, Brandon Mull, Yamile Mendez, Soman Chainani, Brendan Reich, and Ally Condie. It was so cool. We were able to have author pannels, and authors are just regular people who, like amateur writers, struggle with building the stories. They are quite relatable and actually funny.

Return to “Discuss Authors”