What is your opinion on Stephenie Meyer?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Re: What is your opinion on Stephenie Meyer?

Post by Samy Lax »

I know many out there are true fans of Stephanie Meyer, but I am really not one of them. Somehow, her famous Twilight books end up giving me a headache. I have friends who sigh longingly when they read about Edward and send secret messages to the universe to get them an Edward of their own. Why don't I like her work? Maybe because I am not too appreciative of weak female characters or mush. Am I the only one on this boat?
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Ick. Those books were terrible in my opinion. Not the writing, just the characters. The story itself was creative but I found the "love triangle" at the core to be so disturbing and unappealing. It's one of those books you read and realize that you don't like any of the characters.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I didn't read the books, and I don't think I ever will, although I did watch the twilight movies several times (guilty) but what can I say I was a teenager!!
Shakra
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00SZ59XFA

Post by Shakra »

Stephanie Meyers eh...?
Her imagination is incredible, she really go's in a different direction than most supernatural writers and owns it.

When I was younger I was actually a massive fan of the "Twilight" series. Yes I found many mistakes but all in it is actually a pretty decent series to read.
Saying that... if you really want to enjoy a Stephanie Meyers book you should read "The Host."
The book is really different and worth the read.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I read first three books and a bit of fourth. I did it because I was on vacations and those were the only books I had with me. A friend recommended them. I disliked it. Didn't like the story, presentation of non-humans, narrative, writing style. I didn't like anything.
Ebbingwhitelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebbingwhitelight.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ebbingwhitelight »

I read all the books before the movies came out. At the time I was looking for something with a different twist to vampires. I also enjoy a flashback to high school so I did enjoy the books. I really felt a connection with the characters even when I didn't agree with what she did I understood why she reacted the way she did. As a YA read I thought it was good. But I think you should read these before watching the movies so you can enjoy it the way the author intended it.
Snrains13
Currently Reading: Animal Farm / 1984
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snrains13.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Snrains13 »

I find that she is incredibly overrated as an author. Tween and teen girls seem to defend her writing like vicious little beasts when it's put into question, but the fact of the matter is that her writing skills are average, if not below. Her English and grammar wasn't very good, the story wasn't mature, the characters weren't as well rounded as I prefer characters to be, and the books were just lacking a connection. When you don't feel connected to any characters or the story, what are you reading it for? You don't empathize, you don't relate, you don't have that craving to read about a character through to the end, so why would anyone continue to read if they are a more developed reader?
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I know people have said her books were overhyped. What I know for sure was that irrespective of any failings her books may have (I've read 5 of her books), they were always a gripping and riveting read.
I agree her works were not perfect but they were interesting and made you keep reading on. I don't think she wasnt trying to write the next great work of literature, and my stance is that she succeeded quite brilliantly at writing a novel which entertains and engages one.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I'm not a huge romance fan, but I ended up reading Twilight because I wanted to know what everyone else was so excited about. I thought the first two were OK. They were probably the fasted reads of my life, felt like I was literally flying through the pages. After that, it really started to go downhill. I had to finish it because I wanted to know how it ended, but I was thoroughly disappointed and would never recommend them to anyone as there are far better books to be spending your time reading.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I tried to read her books, but they were awful. I also didn't like the theme of stalking and obsession that went with the series.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I tried a couple times to read Twilight to see what all the fuss was about, but I couldn't get past the first chapter. I don't remember the exact reason why, but I believe that it had to do with the grammar and word choices. Those are usually why I stop reading a book.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I just think she's overrated. I don't think teenagers were drawn to her books because of the quality of the writing. It probably had more to do with the vampires and the unlikely romance.
Redotto50
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Redotto50 »

I got interested in the books and the movies because my daughter was a big fan, I didn't think the love triangle was in very good taste at all and it took away from the story. It got really old really fast. I think if they would have stuck more in the fantasy area throughout it would have opened so many More opportunities for other stories later in the series.
andreandhispen
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by andreandhispen »

I saw the movies which were cool and I have a friend who read the very thick books who loves the books more than the movies. :D
Sneha_K27
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sneha_K27 »

Upon hearing Stephanie Meyer's name, it instantly brings me back to highschool and the Twilight era. Although the books are very much hyped or were very hyped at some point, i do believe Stephanie Meyer is a good writer, albeit not the best.

This author single handedly made vampires seem appealing with her amazing plot line, and teens all over the world started swooning over the mention of Edward Cullen. And i must admit, i was one of them, until the second book came along...then it was all about Jacob Black for me :lol2:

I remember the most prominent quote from the Twilight book is what Bella Swan says: "About three things i was absolutely postive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him - and i didn't know how dominant that part might be - that thirsted for my blood. And third, i was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him" It still gives me the shivers, and no wonder so many teens fell in love with the idea that a vampire and human could fall in love. Vampires are like the epitomy of bad boys and we know how most girls love bad boys.

But what made me see Stephanie Meyer as more than just a hyped up author is when she realeased the book 'The Host'. Now that is a book i truly enjoyed, not because it brought me in through being hyped up about, but because i was genuinely intrigued whether Stephanie Meyer had potential to break away from the Twilight bubble.

And i must say she did a brilliant job. Again, in 'The Host', i found myself falling in love with the characters, you could imagine yourself in their shoes. She also built up the dystopian world really well, and the ending was all we readers could hope for, and it gave encouragement for a second installment to the series, but unfortunately that never came through.

In conclusion, Stephanie Meyer isn't the best author but she is an inspirational one, with such a creative mind, and she manages to execute that creativeness really well in her books. And don't forget, her Twilight series did inspire E. L. James' fanfic that led to the highly popular Fifty Shades of Grey. Need i say more?!?

Return to “Discuss Authors”