How Many Chances Do You Give An Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

How Many Chances Do You Give An Author?

Post by tsh1001 »

Say you read a book, and absolutely do not like it. Do you give the author more chances for redemption? How many?

Personally, I am a "one and done" kind of person... If the writing style is not my cup of tea, I don't have more tea.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
SurroundedByBooks
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surroundedbybooks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by SurroundedByBooks »

If I can’t finish the book then I’m done.

If there’s parts of the book I enjoyed, and it could have been a good book if the writing had been better, then I might pick up the next book and skim a chapter to see if they’ve got any better.

But there are so many books out there that it’s easy to just move on.
“You know, for kids!”
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

I use to agree with Waldorf in that if I couldn’t finish the book I’m done with the author. Mind, there have been times I didn’t like 1 book but a few years later I find myself pouring over another by the same author. So I always try to keep an open mind, most authors continue to work at developing their skills.
Michael_Cook143
Currently Reading: Courting Moon
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Michael_Cook143 »

If I've read books by them before and loved them, I'd probably give them a few chances if the next book doesn't fit me. If it's an author I've never tried before and I can't finish the book then I'm done.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

Honestly... it depends on the book. I read Great Expectations by Dickens and loved it, but I struggled through and couldn't finish a Tale of Two Cities. I still want to read more Dickens though. I guess it just depends on the novel. But I haven't read anyone I wouldn't read again. I'd think I'm a 'one and done' type of person, but I honestly don't know.
mplaunty
Currently Reading: Triplicity
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mplaunty.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Post by mplaunty »

Honestly, it depends on the subject matter of the book. I feel like anymore, authors are venturing into multiple different genres. I will usually give an author 2 chanced and if both fall flat I will call it quits.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

Usually, only one chance unless I get a lot of recommendations for a different book of the same author.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I will usually give an author more than one chance. Just one bad book is not a sign that the author is bad. Sometimes it is just that I don't care for that particular story. I think everyone deserves more than one chance.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

It really depends on how bad the book was. If there were just a few sections I didn’t like, then I would probably read more from that author. But if what I didn’t like about the book was clearly going to be a major theme throughout their writing, or I seriously disliked the writing style, then I probably wouldn’t try much more unless I was really interested in another of their books. But if I have read a book, liked it, read another by that author and didn’t like it, I would author more chances.
-Thea M. Frederick
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I'm also usually a one and done kind of person. But I would say it's rare that I've finished a book and said that was horrible. Also rare for me to stop a book because I don't like it.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Melina the reader
Currently Reading: A New Earth
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Melina the reader »

If I really didn't like the book at all then I give the author only one chance. I don't seee the point in reading another book by someone when I didnt like the style of writing (which I don't assume just changes from book to book). I have to say though that there is very few books that I read and absolutely dislike... I'm a pretty easy going reader so its not that harsh really.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I usually give 2 chances. I don’t want to judge an author just by reading one of his books. If both are not worth my time then I will never read his books again.
Peyton4
Currently Reading: The Four Hour Workweek
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peyton4.html
Latest Review: Striking It Rich by R.H. Webster

Post by Peyton4 »

I'm usually a one and done unless the author has other books that people really enjoy. Then I might pick up another.
May your days be full of magic and dragons.
Claris L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claris-l.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Claris L »

Depends on the following:

1. If can't make it through the book, I'm done.
2. If I can make it through the whole book and I completely hated it, then I'm done.
3. If I can make it through the book, and I didn't completely hate the book, I might try to read a second one. But if 1 and/or 2 happens with that second book, then I'm definitely done with that author.
Triduana
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 263

Post by Triduana »

It depends. If I like the style of the writing but dislike the story, I'll give the author another chance. You can't always like eveything by one author! If I don't get on with the writing style, I probably won't read the author again, as the style of writing will probably not change between books.

Return to “Discuss Authors”