J.R.R.Tolkien.

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
acasto
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 85">King's Warrior</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acasto.html
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford

Re: J.R.R.Tolkien.

Post by acasto »

I read all of the books and fell in love with them before I saw any of the movies. Right now I have the film pictures in my head, but that's only because I haven't read the books recently.
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford
Sarah1
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Post by Sarah1 »

I have always wanted to read this series. I even own it! It just seems to keep getting pushed back for other new books. I really need to read them!
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew
sarahdvt
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahdvt.html

Post by sarahdvt »

Silmarillion is my favorite book written by J.R.R. Tolkien. I really loved Luthien and Beren's story-so beautiful!!
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I have not read any Tolkien books yet. I somehow think that I will not enjoy it. I have not watched any of the movies either.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

I haven't read any of his books but I do really want to read The Hobbit
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

I loved his books. I read one as a summer reading assignment while I was in high school (a long while ago) and have been a fan ever since.
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
CuriousJorgi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curiousjorgi.html

Post by CuriousJorgi »

My mother has the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and growing up I knew they were some of her favorite books. My older sister read them and loved them, so when I was in junior high school I started reading them. I loved them. I then went out and got Smith of Wootton Major and Farmer Giles of Ham at a library book sale. I admit that I have not read about JRR Tolkein's life, but I love the books he wrote.
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

While he can be a bit wordy at times, he is a supremely gifted worldbuilder. Rivendell, Mordor, Gondor, Lothlorien, the Shire...I saw the movies before I read the books, and I could still conjure my own vivid mental images of these locations. He also is the creator of Samwise Gamgee, one of my favorite characters ever. His loyalty to Frodo is incredible. Where else can you find a friend who will literally travel to hell with you, even know he probably won't be coming back? I also think that Eomer really got passed over in the movies, after reading the books. He is a much more important character than the movie trilogy makes him. And Aragorn is another favorite character, especially in the trio of him, Legolas, and Gimli (another favorite friend pairing, by the way).
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

I've actually read the books after I saw the first movie (the fellowship of the ring). I loved the books and enjoyed the movies. I always liked sci-fi/fantasy, but after reading Tolkien's work, it became a strong preference in reading genre for me.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

I read the books and I am glad I did because as usual Hollywood left out a lot of the details from the book. There was a lot more that happened in The Lord of the Rings books than what happened in the movies. I did my research paper in college on The Hobbit so I did background research on Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings. The books were actually originally written as children's stories because the genre wasn't appropriate for adults when he wrote them. I agree that it is disappointing that more people do not actual read the books and experience the material the way Tolkien would want them to experience it.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
mlucius224
Currently Reading: Beautiful Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlucius224.html

Post by mlucius224 »

I saw the cartoon version of The Hobbit in 5th grade. I barely remembered anything about it and then when I was dating a guy into Lord of the Rings I went with him to see the movies. I watched the first two and was so intrigued that I read all the books before the third one came out, and then spent the third movie irritating him with my commentary! I teach high school English and last year I actually got to choose a new text for my Senior English course and I had so much fun teaching The Hobbit. The group I had were really into it and it made it all the more enjoyable. I actually haven't seen the third movie yet, and I don't feel bad about it since the movies are so different from the novel.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I've never read any of his work but I had a teacher who loved it. She would always talk about it in class about how much she liked the stories.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

One of my all-time faves, I started reading anything and everything by Tolkien when I was in high school. His books are as fascinating as his own life, and the people he associated with. His creation of the Elven language is also fascination. I just finished reading the Silmarillion, and it was great!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I strive to be a true expert some day. I've read LOTR and The Hobbit multiple times, and read the Silmarillion with some of his other independent works published posthumously, but definitely one of my goals is to be a genuine expert with more knowledge than just the films. (The LOTR films are my favorites of all time and the books just added more depth and beauty, in my opinion.)
Midnightnox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midnightnox.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Midnightnox »

I have read the Hobbit and the first LOTR book, but like other people, I did struggle to continue reading. Would love to finish them someday though.

Return to “Discuss Authors”