C.S Lewis

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
surabhi279
Bookshelf Size: 0

C.S Lewis

Post by surabhi279 »

C.S.Lewis the author is known for his work on medieval literature, literary criticism and fiction having written classics like Space Trilogy, The Pilgrim's Regress and the entire Narnia series But my favourite is The Chronicles of Narnia..The best thing about his Narnia books is his storytelling that completely spellbinds you.
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

I absolutely LOVE medieval literature, I'm very fond of The Pilgrim's Regress...despite the fact many critics gave it poor reviews. C.S.Lewis is amazing :) These are all wonderful reads :)
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Star wrote:I absolutely LOVE medieval literature, I'm very fond of The Pilgrim's Regress...despite the fact many critics gave it poor reviews. C.S.Lewis is amazing :) These are all wonderful reads :)
i love medieval literature too :D
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain.
-J. K. Rowling

ham sandwich;)
=~S@g@~=

Post by =~S@g@~= »

I really adore C.S.Lewis Books. They're amazing. Sometimes a bit childish though. Nevertheless, I think the Narnia series is absolutely wonderful.
I love his books. :D
Dezire06
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dezire06.html

Post by Dezire06 »

I have loved the Narnia Series for ever, I have read them 6-7 times
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I'm not much of a fan of fantasy so I never read the Narnia books, just skimmed them, understood that they were fantasy (even if high quality) and generally more of the juvenile level.

Nevertheless I'm a big CS Lewis fan, his "Screwtape Letters" a classic treasure of wit and irony. And in philosophy, his "The Problem of Pain" is essential, and later, the much more powerful and intense "A Grief Observed" (after the death of his wife).

Incidentally, who's seen the superb film about Lewis and his love for his wife, "Shadowlands", w. Anthony Hopkins just perfect as Lewis. I highly recommend this film for Lewis fans.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Inishowen_Cailin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inishowen-cailin.html

Post by Inishowen_Cailin »

As a child I loved the Chronicles of Narnia.
Nimbus Wolfsbane
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimbus-wolfsbane.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Nimbus Wolfsbane »

I love the Chronicles of Narnia
With each page you turn another life you live...
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

I haven't read the Narnia books for years but was struck in one of the films how heavy-handed the allegory was (Aslan = Jesus etc. I'm not sure if reading them as an adult I might find the obviousness a bit...silly
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
R_H_Ali
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-h-ali.html

Post by R_H_Ali »

I've honestly never finished reading all the books in The Chronicles of Narnia. I plan to though!

From what I've read, I love love love C.S.Lewis' writing style in the books. He writes as though he is literally speaking to the reader face to face and engages the reader on a personal journey through the Chronicles of Narnia.

I do wish I read the entire series when I was younger though, but there's nothing I can do about that now, other than read it out in my more mature state of mind. Hopefully, it would have the same effect as it would have back then.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Narnia is a bit slanted to juvenile, and I really don't care for juvenile fiction (same for Harry Potter stuff). And yeah, when I was about 8 or 9 I read all the great juvenile books (I was a very advanced reader). But as St. Paul says, When I became an adult, I put away childish things.

Not to disparage great juvenile or as it's now called, YA fiction. Wonderful but not for grownups except for nostalgic reasons.

There are many great writers out there whose fiction drives me into total boredom. Most are of the typical 19th century style, long expository passages. Wonderful people and terrific authors like Isaac Asimov (whom I met and liked immensely) but many of his novels bordered on the pedantic. I liked reading them but kind of outgrew them.

Same for Narnia and Harry Potter. Of course I was years older when the Potter books came out, therefore only skimmed them. A bit of fun but hey, I'm not too big a fantasy fan anyway.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

I loved Narnia, and have enjoyed reading the series to my kids. I also liked the Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

I LOVE C.S. Lewis!!! Chronicles of Narnia were some of my favorite childhood books ever! I also really like his non-fiction books.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
chiliabowl1998
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiliabowl1998.html

Post by chiliabowl1998 »

I used to always read the Narnia stories as a kid.
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

I read "The Witch, The Lion, and The Wardrobe" when I was younger and the remaining books in the series later in life. I still loved them as an adult.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.

Return to “Discuss Authors”