Authors using pen names?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Authors using pen names?

Post by MandyP »

I just finished reading A Guide for Murdered Children by Sarah Sparrow. Does anyone have an idea as to this authors real identity?
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I think using a pen name can be great because it creates an air of mystery around the author and makes it easier for some people to remember the author. In turn, some authors use different pen names depending on the type of genre they’re writing in, which can make it harder to compare the two.
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

Lemony Snicket
JK Rowling (Robert Galbraith)

Those are the two that come to mind off hand. I love the idea of a pen name. I think authors use it for a number of reasons but the one that immediately comes to mind is so that they can appeal to a wider audience without dealing with a bias. For example, I read somewhere that there were quite a few female science fiction & fantasy writers back in the day, who would write under male pen names to widen their readership.

I do mean bias in more than one way - sometimes they will publish under a different name to test their own writing - they want to know if they are actually good writers or if its just an association with their name. Another reason is if they are drastically altering their audience (JK Rowling).
ljfricker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljfricker.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by ljfricker »

I think pen names can be really useful for when an author wants to explore a new genre or create a new character without being judged by their previous books. I especially like it when big name authors do this, it proves that they aren't just relying on their name and out to make money, they want to genuinely share this new book and see how people judge it. I think we all enjoy being anonymous sometimes and having a chance to explore yourself without being who everyone has decided you are.
Alana Rosansky
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alana Rosansky »

I just found out Riley Sager is a pen name for a well known author. Incredible books. Well written and spine tingling plots. Anyone know who it is?
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Many, many authors use pen names. Sometimes it's to hide their identity. Sometimes there's a pen name for each genre they write in. Google it, there are lists.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Thinking about it in a fictionalized way, feeling like your someone else when you write under a different name. That's truly a creepy idea. I do understand that it's usually a book written outside their normal genre though.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

msstroda wrote: 15 Feb 2007, 15:24 I use a pen name for my romance novels, because my name sounds too much like a man's name and the romance publishers do not want romance written by a man. I actually had to prove I was female when I submitted a novel to Harlequin due to my name being Mickey. I can't help what my name is and I don't like having to use a pen name becuase I am proud of all of my work. Ahh well, life goes on.
This is a shame! There are a lot of good romance writers that are men. Its too bad they have to hide behind a feminine name just so people will even consider reading their work. I had no idea this was even an issue until I came across this thread. So sad.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I don't know any offhead but I've heard of a couple of authors using pen names. I plan to use one myself when I'm published, mostly because writing won't be my only career and I'd like to remain anonymous for as long as I can.

Return to “Discuss Authors”