Stephen King: Too prolific for his own good?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Stephen King: Too prolific for his own good?

Post by Artizi »

Stephen King is without a doubt one of my favorite modern authors. His writing style is, in my opinion, brilliantly detailed without turning stale from a baroque or overbearing style.
I enjoy the way he describes events and particularly horrific scenes in his books, and most his main characters are layered and compelling to the reader.

That being said, sometimes I feel he is his own worse enemy. He just writes... so... much. Book after book after book, which can definitely be a good thing, but at the same time, it sometimes feels like a double-edged sword.

Does anyone feel this way about Stephen King's prolific career?
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Artizi
Currently Reading:

Post by Artizi »

Though this could be a possible way he keeps up with his daily writing :lol: :lol: :lol: :

peggidial64
Currently Reading: Kindred Journeys
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by peggidial64 »

There are certain authors and/or books which I go back to over there years. Stephen King is one of those authors. Each time I re-read one of his books I immediately flash back to the first time I read that book. I always find something new to me that I had forgotten. I'm glad he is such a prolific writer, or else I would get bored re-reading his books (I read books rather quickly)! I think the only time I've been disappointed reading one of his books was Gwendy's Button Box.

Lately my son has been reading some of his books, and I love discussing the books with him. Gives me a whole new perspective lol!
Artizi
Currently Reading:

Post by Artizi »

peggidial64 wrote: 11 May 2019, 23:08 There are certain authors and/or books which I go back to over there years. Stephen King is one of those authors. Each time I re-read one of his books I immediately flash back to the first time I read that book. I always find something new to me that I had forgotten. I'm glad he is such a prolific writer, or else I would get bored re-reading his books (I read books rather quickly)! I think the only time I've been disappointed reading one of his books was Gwendy's Button Box.

Lately my son has been reading some of his books, and I love discussing the books with him. Gives me a whole new perspective lol!
That's a great answer! And yes, it would get boring to reread his books if he only had a handful of them! It's great your son got into the same books you enjoy, lovely bonding experience :)
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

If he writes too much, then why am I continually craving more? I like how he intertwines his characters between his books. It is as if there is a "Stephen King World" and all of his characters live in that world.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

As someone who has just started getting really into his books, I can say that the amount of books he’s written can be a little overwhelming. I had no idea where to start reading. At long as each book is unique and well written, I don’t mind, though. At least I won’t run out of reading material any time soon.
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Jlprince26
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jlprince26 »

CinWin wrote: 24 May 2019, 21:25 If he writes too much, then why am I continually craving more? I like how he intertwines his characters between his books. It is as if there is a "Stephen King World" and all of his characters live in that world.
I have to agree to agree with CinWin. I can not wait for the next book, and if there is a "Stephen King World," I, for one, would definitely visit all my favorite characters (especially Wolf, from The Talsiman).
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

I find his work ethic and dedication to continuing and improving upon his craft to be something admirable and inspiring. He is truly a master of his work, and seems to very much enjoy what he does. I can't fault him for having the discipline and being gifted with the motivation to keep up his work every day. This is his livelihood and most likely one of his favorite hobbies. It's an awesome thing to see that he gets to work on it as much as he does, and that he's had so much success in doing so. He does come out with books almost lightning-fast, but at the same time they don't feel rushed. That's incredibly impressive.

So long as he does take breaks and keeps up his mental health while tending to whatever business he has in his personal and professional lives then I see no fault in working as much as he does. For a beginnger that kind of work load and schedule would no doubt be overwhelming, but he's been doing this for a very long time and probably has made himself a routine he's comfortable with.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm

Return to “Discuss Authors”