Authors of Children's Books

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
zifranka
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zifranka.html

Re: Authors of Children's Books

Post by zifranka »

Could depend on the kid's personality. I for one would have loved more to read within the horror genre. Maybe then I wouldn't think I was such a weird kid if I saw someone else drawing and writing about the things I thought about almost on a daily basis. Although I have yet to encounter an author that built a story around torturing bugs that doesn't necessarily include a bully being the main protagonist or villain.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Shasti wrote: 17 Jun 2010, 05:32 But - why has no-one mentioned Alan Garner? He is a true magician when it comes to young fantasy. I loved Elidor and The Weirdstone of Brisingamen so much, I spent nearly a year hunting down my own copies. For those who have not read either, they are almost like 'mini' Tolkien-esque tales. Worthy of sitting beside Tolkien and CS Lewis 'Narnia' books.
Yes, I agree about Garner, and the books you mention are also my favourites, along with The Moon of Gomrath. However, Garner himself rather denounced that and The Weirdstone of Brisingamen as he became more accomplished and more consciously literary. I think Elidor is terrific - but, although I agree with the comments about Tolkien and Lewis - I would say it is more gritty and realistic than either of those; it really connects with our world.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I love Shel Silverstein, Roald Dahl, Maurice Sendak, Eric Carle, Jack Prelutsky, Lemony Snicket, Dr. Seuss, J.M. Barrie, and A.A. Milne to name a few. What makes them great is that they present such poignant ideas about life and humanity rolled into a story for kids. Their stories are so charming!
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

readertim109 wrote: 06 Jan 2007, 16:02 Who do you think are the best authors of children's books? What makes a good children's author?

It probably depends on the age-range of the children, right?
There are far too many for me to name. I have enjoyed many authors over the years. I can remember enjoying the Berenstains, and Maurice Sendak a lot as a child. However, once J.K. Rowling started Harry Potter, I was absolutely consumed by the series. Harry Potter was released when I was around 10-11, so a lot of the social issues were easy for me to connect with because I was a similar age to the characters.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Liz_Wright
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-wright.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Liz_Wright »

My youngest son is 5 and he loves anything by Aaron Blabey, the author of the Pig the Pug series. My son brought Pig the Pug home from the book fair at school and within days he had memorized the whole thing. It was also pretty funny for an adult. Blabey also writes a chapter book series that are for 7-10 year olds called The Bad Guys. They are humorous graphic novels and the humor is good for both kids and adults.

My sons also enjoy Adam Rubin's books (Dragons Love Tacos, Secret Pizza Party, Thelma the Unicorn). They are better for younger kids, but my older son (8) enjoys the stories as well.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

For younger children, Sandra Boynton is wonderful. The book illustrations are fun, the words bubble off the tongue, and the songs (for the books with CDs) are catchy. For older children, Roald Dahl and Shel Silversten are indeed good choices. There's a slightly cruel edge to Dahl but it stops short of being obvious--reminds me of the parts of the Muppet Show that only adults notice.
AquaFin+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AquaFin+ »

I loved Dr. Seuss because the rhyming and repetition was mesmerizing to me as a child. I loved how it sounded silly and the stories were often whimsical and fun nonsense. It taught me a lot about playing with words and sounds.

Mercer Meyer is great as well because of the very real lessons they teach children about behaviour, and how to treat each other. The stories are relatable.

Robert Munsch was great! I loved his silly stories, and listening to his personal readings of his books. He puts so much character in each story that they all stand out individually for different reasons. A very memorable author. Munsch often plays with words and sounds as well, and when read aloud, really twists your tongue!

:techie-studyinggray:
_mylilyotv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by _mylilyotv »

I am a nursery nurse working with Children aged 2-4 and I've ALWAYS loved books by Julia Donaldson. She is a queen, no body beats here when it comes to Children's books in my opinion.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

Creativity and humor make great children's books. I feel as though Dr. Seuss was a great writer for children's books, but I never cared for them. I also think that Ree Drummond ( The Pioneer Woman) does a good job with her children's books as well.

Return to “Discuss Authors”