Do you have a preference between male and female authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: Do you have a preference between male and female authors?

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

Gender don't usually stop me or influence me while picking a book. But when I begin the first page the POV character take a male or female voice in my head depending on the author's gender. After the first few pages the POV's voice will morph. So no trouble there.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
G Duda
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-duda.html
Latest Review: From Burnout to Belonging by Kimberly Carozzi

Post by G Duda »

I don't, except in one VERY crucial genre:
I cannot stand female authors who write mlm romance. Some of them are good, but for the majority it's just such poor writing, oversexualisation of the characters, & a fundamental misunderstanding of how a romance between two men functions. To often they try to write mlm romance in a straight way, with one of the characters being a macho manly man, & the other a dainty author self-insert stand in. And it just pees me off real bad that random cishet women get praised for writing gay romance while actually queer male writers get completely ignored. (Some examples of this phenomenon are the author Rainbow Rowell, the Song of Achilles book, Heartstopper, etc.)
Otherwise, I can't say that it matters to me who writes the book in other genres. Fantasy, sci-fi, non-fiction, I'll read whatever really falls into my hands, I don't really care who the author is. So long as I enjoy the book, I really don't care
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Runan »

Honestly, I do not have a preference in gender when it comes to authors. I pick a book, read the blurb, and if I like it, I just read it. I don't think there's much difference between male and female authors. But there definitely is individualistic writing style differences between authors.
Runan
João Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by João Ramos »

I have a preference between good and bad writers. The gender is irrelevant. :D
Pearl Esebeluo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Pearl Esebeluo »

Personally, I tend to lean more toward female authors as I feel like thay understand their readers more as they give good and strong characters that helps readers relate more.
And not to be sexist but I think female writers are more creative and write better stories but that is not to say male writers are not good. They are but they can be quite serious.
Anxieee Mishra
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anxieee Mishra »

Most of the time my only focus is on the plot and writing style. If an author has good writing style and creates amazing plots, I'll read. But My all time favourite author is coincidently a women ( Jane Austen) and as is my second favourite (Jhumpa Lahiri ) so I guess my preference leans a bit toward female authors. I don't know perhaps i can just relate more to their characters.

Return to “Discuss Authors”