Does anyone read classical literature any more?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Darrell Ingrum
Currently Reading: The Bounty Hunters
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darrell-ingrum.html
Latest Review: Diamonds of Devil's Tail by A.W. Baldwin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Does anyone read classical literature any more?

Post by Darrell Ingrum »

Well, although I read lots of new novels, my favorite ones are classical: Moby Dick , Frankenstein, and Faulkner's Snopes Trilogy. (Are Faulkner's novels called Classical? Probably not; they're Modern Era; but, whatever, I love them, anyway. And they're close enough.) Geez, what era is considered Classical, anyway? Anybody care to explain?

-D.
Laura P 2
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-p-2.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Laura P 2 »

I decided to read more classic literature, however, I have to admit, I don't love it as much as expected, especially Russian classics. They are full of unnecessary information which is barely related to the plot. It gets boring soon and I pick up another book. I am currently stuck with Anna Karenina. I wish I can read that all heard amazing love story without reading how to cut the grain. :D
Miculete Anemona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miculete-anemona.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth by Antoine Bonner

Post by Miculete Anemona »

I am currently reading Herman Hesse and I recently finished reading Conrad's "Heart of Darkness". Herman Hesse is one of the most amazing writers I've come across and I wish people would talk more about him.

Apart from those, I also read Homer, Vergilius, Dante, Petrarca, Shakespeare, Dickens, FItzgerald and many others. Classical literature is underrated these days.
maria m 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by maria m 6 »

@original question: I would guess most people read classical literature rather than newer lit...at least for a certain time in their life. - My personal answer: Yes, I go back to it again and again. All sorts of it. Literature, which is still on my list (philosophy, psychology, too...and tons of novels), but also new books, if I find them interesting. - Sometimes you also want to reread something you had read long ago. It`s like visiting an old friend - and discovering a lot of new things you forgot were there...
iwaswondering04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by iwaswondering04 »

I love classical literature, though I am not 100 percent certain where the boundaries begin and end. Pride and Prejudice is a favorite. I also like Les Miserables. I hope to read many more classics, as they are some of my favorites and generally more thought provoking then many newer books.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

I enjoy classical literature, and I am so glad my girls are getting into literature in school. It gives me an opportunity to dive into those classics again with them. I hope I can show them the beauty of classics while we read them together.
We just read Charlotte's Web, and, quite frankly, I don't remember ever reading that in elementary school, so it's a great opportunity for me to expand my horizons also.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

Oh yes!!! Can’t stop reading classics! I recently read pride and prejudice again!
Bridgett Hollowell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bridgett Hollowell »

Yes I love the classics and absolutely love to read.
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Radhika Nair »

Zupanatural wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 14:33 For years I only read the classics (Dickens, Hardy, Conrad etc.) and I was wondering how many people do that nowadays. Also, who would go down as your favourite classical literature author?

Poe & Maupassant are two of mine and today I'm going to say Poe is the winner. Maupassant's turn tomorrow... :D

I did my Bachelor's in English literature, so I've read and relished quite a few classics. I love the existential or absurdist element that is at the heart of the human experience and features prominently in the classics. That kind of intensity is what I most painfully miss in most modern literature. As for my favourite classical authors, I absolutely adore Jane Austen, George Eliot and Joseph Conrad. In fact I'm currently reading Conrad's Lord Jim for a good dose of book-induced modern suffering. 🙂
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

Jane Austen is my favorite novelist. I read all of her books at least once a year. I'm a huge fan of the classics. I do enjoy reading more modern books, but there's something special about the classics.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

This year I've read Frankenstein and Pride and Prejudice. I love classical literature, but that doesn't meant I don't mix in contemporary novels that explore different cultures and perspectives.
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

I still read a minimum of three classical literature every year. I even read "Great Expectations" last month. "The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky is one book I plan to begin 2023 with.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

Yes. I read Thomas Hardy, Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Dostoyevsky, Jane Austen, Sor Arthur Conan Doyle. They are all a masterpiece and nothing can beat classical literature.
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Shilpy Bhasin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpy-bhasin.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn

Post by Shilpy Bhasin »

I love the classics. I go back to them when I got nothing else to do in my life. They take a long time to read, longer than today's novels....but they also stay with you longer. <3
Emma Ussel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-ussel.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Emma Ussel »

I really like reading classics, the issue is that they're also incredibly biased in terms of facets of life they portray (even if it's subconscious). So many biases to filter away for an accurate picture of everything. Knowing about the historical circumstances of the classics, especially about the socio-economic status of the author, makes the analysis fascinating. Sadly most people read without actually thinking things through (looking at you, Cthulhu literature)

Return to “Discuss Authors”