Are there any authors who you will never read again?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Re: Are there any authors who you will never read again?

Post by aby johnson »

I think that would be Durjoy Datta. Not that his writing is bad or something. Just that i read two of his books and they both find kinda similar to me. So i understood that he takes a common plot line and changes characters and publishes them and girls love his cause he writes romance.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Iconicsmt
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Unborn
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconicsmt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Iconicsmt »

After being severely disappointed by Tess of the d’Urbervilles, I’m having a difficult time building up the will to partake in other Thomas Hardy works. Also, 10 years after being wholly disappointed by the abrupt ending of The Firm, I haven’t had the courage to delve in to another John Grisham story, ha.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
_khush_p
Favorite Book: Strong Heart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khush-p.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by _khush_p »

M Zee wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 11:42 Oh yeah. I have a couple of authors that I won't read due to their behavior outside their writing. I don't like to support people who treat others badly (well documented bad behavior) anyway. Someone can be meh writer and I would support their work over someone who writes great but isn't a good person.
OMG yes so true! I have encountered such authors too and it really saddens me that they have the skill of a great writer but not the personality of a decent person. And I absolutely relate with you about reading a low performing book over a great book written by a person who isn't so great. :?
SaraHysaro
Currently Reading: Batman
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by SaraHysaro »

Unless an author is actively donating money to causes I don't approve of I'm usually capable of divorcing them from their books, especially if they filter their unpleasant opinions through a character than the very narrative itself (or just leave said opinions out of it). I mean, I've enjoyed reading a bit of Lovecraft, and a lot of us have an idea what he was like as a person. :P

Style is definitely a bigger factor in turning me off a writer completely, but it's possible for the style itself to shift and evolve with time. I'm willing to give somebody a second shot if the concept seems interesting enough, provided the sample text isn't off-putting.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

Definitely, especially when the first book I read by the author does not appeal to me at all.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Lunupine
Favorite Book: The Future of Buildings, Transportation and Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunupine.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Lunupine »

Yeah. There is authors who I will avoid due to what they are like in real life or their writing style I can not stand.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I do not think so... Usually when looking for more books I do not look at the author's names.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

flaming_quills wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 07:31 I don't think I'll ever read E L James again or Stephanie Meyer for that reason. I enjoyed the Twilight series when I was younger but looking back not I realise I just liked it because everyone else liked it and not because the writing was impeccable or the story was good. As for 50 shades, I didn't really like it. I only read it because everyone else was reading it and I didn't want to miss out.
At last I found someone just like me! I really didn't like the Twilight series. I gave up in the second book. Fifty shades of grey was meh too. I felt like there was no story. I would never read Nora Roberts too.
Tamika Chitwanga
Currently Reading: The Reason: How I Discovered a Life Worth Living
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamika-chitwanga.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Tamika Chitwanga »

One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

The whole book was cliché and (barf) adolescent Mills and Boon romance.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I think that would be Patricia Cornwell for me. I bought 4 of her books few years ago and I liked the description, but I found it very misleading. The books were boring and some of them had so much of technical stuff I felt like I'm reading an instruction manual.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anna Bookowski »

M Zee wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 11:42 Oh yeah. I have a couple of authors that I won't read due to their behavior outside their writing. I don't like to support people who treat others badly (well documented bad behavior) anyway. Someone can be meh writer and I would support their work over someone who writes great but isn't a good person.
I have a similar feeling about it. If I get to know something upsetting about the author in personal life, like disrespectful behavior or believes that are unacceptable for me (let's say the writer is a raging racist in his private), then I am simply not able to read him/her anymore. Probably it is not exactly correct to mix the two levels - professional and private - but it's just stronger than me. For example I have no respect for Hemingway even though I know he was a very good writer; simply because I love animals and any kind of cruelty against them breaks my heart - and knowing he loved bull fights is just killing me and I hate the guy.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anna Bookowski »

I've read a few books of Haruki Murakami when he was on top of his popularity. And because his books were everywhere in bookstores, I was sure there must be something in them. But all I felt was disapointment. I found them all boring and depressing. I didn't find anything in them that would make me come back to this author. Even though there used to be such a hype around him. So I'm pretty sure I'll not get back to reading him anymore.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I read Norweigen Wood by haruki murakami and i dont think I'll ever be reading his books again.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

It is impossible to answer this question with certainty. There are authors that I've read three times, and in the past, I never imagined that this would happen.
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

jk rowling for sure

Return to “Discuss Authors”