Your Rating and Overall Opinion of And the Mountains Echoed

Discuss the June 2013 book of the month, "And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini.

How do you rate And the Mountains Echoed?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
No votes
2 stars - fair, okay
14%
3 stars - good, recommend it
31%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
55%

Total votes: 42

dcolby
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Your Rating and Overall Opinion of And the Mountains Ech

Post by dcolby »

Often when reading if I am compelled at some point to cry I know I’ve stumbled upon a truly captivating book. This novel took me on a trip through multiple generations, and the lives of several different families. Woven together through a desperate act by an impoverished father. Ripping apart the lives of two young children who have a deep and, seemingly unbreakable bond. And so began the web of the story that took me from a Small Afghan village, to Kabul, Paris, America and beyond.

I couldn’t put this book down, I wanted to find out if these children would ever be reconnected, what had happened to them, and the rest of the families. I was itching to discover the connections between the individuals presented in the story. It was filled with chaos, hope, sadness, laughter, struggle. All the ingredients that make a novel truly captivating.

I would highly recommend this book, I challenge you to put it down!
doglvr

Post by doglvr »

dcolby wrote:Often when reading if I am compelled at some point to cry I know I’ve stumbled upon a truly captivating book. This novel took me on a trip through multiple generations, and the lives of several different families. Woven together through a desperate act by an impoverished father. Ripping apart the lives of two young children who have a deep and, seemingly unbreakable bond. And so began the web of the story that took me from a Small Afghan village, to Kabul, Paris, America and beyond.

I couldn’t put this book down, I wanted to find out if these children would ever be reconnected, what had happened to them, and the rest of the families. I was itching to discover the connections between the individuals presented in the story. It was filled with chaos, hope, sadness, laughter, struggle. All the ingredients that make a novel truly captivating.

I would highly recommend this book, I challenge you to put it down!
My sentiments exactly. I don't know if a sequel would be as good but I would love to find out.
dianaan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaan.html

Post by dianaan »

Smitha Nayak wrote:Mountains” spans several generations and moves back and forth between Afghanistan and the West. (Mr. Hosseini says the title was inspired by William Blake’s poem “Nurse’s Song: Innocence,” which refers to hills echoing with the sound of children’s voices.) It grapples with many of the same themes that crisscross his early novels: the relationship between parents and children, and the ways the past can haunt the present. And it shares a similar penchant for mapping terrain midway between the boldly colored world of fable and the more shadowy, shaded world of realism.
I had no idea about this! I find it inspiring when authors share insights about how they wrote and incubated a book and the idea for a book.
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

It was well-written, but I had a hard time getting into it. I guess it just wasn't my type of book. I'm not usually a reader who likes tear-jerker type books
doglvr

Post by doglvr »

Absolutely loved this book.
neha+thomas+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-thomas.html

Post by neha+thomas+ »

I have read the author's previous books, The Kite Runner is one of my all time favourites , I wanted to read ,'And the mountains Echoed', but was on hold at the library , so will have to buy my copy , but I really like his style of writing and narrating , enjoyed his previous books.
The Bookaholic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookaholic.html
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill

Post by The Bookaholic »

I was so excited when this book came out as the kite runner is EXCELLENT. This author has amazing writing talent, I look forward to starting this book.
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill
LisaT

Post by LisaT »

I think I rated this a 3. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as "The Kite Runner" or "A Thousand Splendid Suns," which is my absolute favorite by this author and one of my all-time faves ever.

He is a powerful writer with beautiful imagery. I will definitely keep reading his books, but IMO, he had a lot to live up to!

Lisa
thankyou
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankyou.html
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell

Post by thankyou »

It's a good book, but there's too much of jumping around in between. Okay, I know that sounds weird, but there's no other way I can explain it.
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell
wendyj
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyj.html
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid

Post by wendyj »

I just couldn't get into this one. I didn't finish it.
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

I like stories with such a sweeping scope, spanning generations, but they have to be carefully written so as to be easy to follow. If it's too much work to try to keep track of various characters/events, reading stops being a "pastime" or pleasant experience.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

Am late to this thread but have just finished reading this book.

I have also read his other 2 books and enjoyed all of them - the scope was larger on this one and the characters were hard to keep track of sometimes, crossing different times and places like they did.

The central story of Abdullah and Pari is neatly woven together at the end with the return of the feather box yet bitter-sweetly - Pari does not realize the significance of the feathers and Abdullah is too far gone in his dementia to even realise he has been re united with his sister.

Did anyone else find interesting the different approaches of various characters to becoming a burden on others or having the responsibility of a 'burden' - eg Parwana and her sister, Nabi and Sulemein, in sharp contrast to Nila's response to Sulemein, young Pari and her father and mother, Markos and his mother and Thalia?

This theme hasn't really been mentioned in this thread but I think is also integral to the book.

Another thing not explored in the book but about which I wondered - Pari finds out the truth about her background - but never responds to the fact that her adopted father, whom she had been told died years ago, had in fact lived on for many years, denied contact with her at all.
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Post by tracy19 »

I really enjoyed this book.
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

I have read all Khaled Hoesseini novels. They are very emotional and thought provoking.
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
hermione123
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hermione123.html
Latest Review: "Beyond MS Your Best Life" by Rosalie Richards

Post by hermione123 »

This was beautiful as expected of the author but it didn't really make me bawl like 'The Kite Runner' did. But I still loved it.
Latest Review: "Beyond MS Your Best Life" by Rosalie Richards

Return to “"And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini”