Discuss the April 2013 book of the month "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
abithacker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abithacker.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Re: Book or Movie?

Post by abithacker »

This is somewhat of an anomaly. I would actually say the movie. The book is really good, well written and the story line is engaging and feels realistic, but the entire book had a very dark tint to it, almost to the point that I felt that there wasn't any hope. The movie takes this theme of the loss of hope and is able to rectify it through the way they ended the movie. The movie also ends much more promptly than the book, which I appreciated because in the book the ending seemed to drag. Both are good, but I really liked the movie better.
"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think" ~Albert Einstein
Kaufer01
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaufer01.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kaufer01 »

Ender's Game is one of my favorite young adult books. The book is much better than the movie. I went to see the movie in theatres right when it came out and was so disappointed. I felt that the movie left out some important plot points.
sneakylikafox
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sneakylikafox.html

Post by sneakylikafox »

I thought the movie was great, arguably better than the book. The book was just a little too dry, sometimes boring for me to get through. Due to that, I didn't read the rest of the series.
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

I personally liked the movie more than the book because reading about action and watching it are two very different things. I get more excited seeing action live than trying to imagine it in my mind.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Book_Hugger
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-hugger.html

Post by Book_Hugger »

I would suggest reading the book. The book described Ender's struggle to survive and comprehend everything he goes through. Seeing all the events unfold from Ender's point of view really makes the book, and the movie loses that kind of depth. However, the second book was nothing like the first. Ender's character kind of plateau's in the second book, causing me to lose interest.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

The movie was a little disappointing for me even though i kind of liked the series.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

Both. The book is well written and has a good plot twist. First you're rooting for Ender then bam, reality and now you're sad for him. Well played Mr.Card. The movie helps with seeing the tech you read about and again they handled the plot twist nicely. I would recommend both.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I've only read the first book and part of the second. The second just wasn't as good as the first in my opinion. I have yet to see the movie because seeing book to movie translations usually makes me nervous, especially when there's a lot of CGI to be used. I never really heard great things about it from people I know who are fans of all the books. But I do love Harrison Ford so I'm sure I'll see it one day.
Brandon101
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Brandon101 »

Paliden wrote:The first book is great. From there, it went downhill to me. A lot of philosophy........but no way to top the first book. If it had been left with just Ender's Game, it would be great. Also, the movie stayed very true to form in following the book which is rare enough. Loved that!!
I agree with this but i'd recommend you watch the movie - they did a great job of capturing the book.
violet-trey19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by violet-trey19 »

I like to read book.
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

I'm going with the movie, the visuals are amazing
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I have not read the book but I generally find the books more insightful than their adaptations. Having seen the movie though, I think I'll wait until I've exhausted my TBR shelf before I give it a go.
Team Glitch Magic
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Team Glitch Magic »

I think that the book is better because in the laser tag thing there are more tactics I think
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

So I finally saw the movie and I have to say that the book is far superior to the movie in my opinion. I wasn't too surprised by this but I was expecting better from Ford.
Hawkite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawkite.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Hawkite »

Ender's Game is one of my favorite books of all time. No question. The movie had a lot to live up to, so it's not surprising I was disappointed. That being said, I think it was a solid movie that I would have enjoyed if I hadn't already read the book like, four times. I love Asa Butterfield as an actor, and I thought the zero-gravity battles were well-executed. To anyone who even remotely enjoyed the move, please go read the book, it is absolutely worth it.

On that note, I'm going to go re-read it (immediately followed by Ender's Shadow because Bean is the best).

Return to “"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card”