Ender's Game

Discuss the April 2013 book of the month "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
Tonya1_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Ender's Game

Post by Tonya1_ »

I have seen the movie a few times because I thought it was great, but I have never gotten the chance to read the book yet.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

A bit of trivia:

Ender's real name was Andrew Wiggin. Ender was a nickname given to him by his sister Valentine. "Ender", in Turkish means extremely rare.

I happen to be reading it right now for the second time. Another interesting note - Card changed the name of the aliens from Formics to Buggers in this re-write for reasons I do not know. If anyone knows please tell me.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Cash-Centered Creep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cash-centered-creep.html
Latest Review: Kill Fannie Mae by Frank Latell

Post by Cash-Centered Creep »

lady_charlie wrote: 12 Jun 2013, 10:32 I have been thinking about this, too, especially since I also recently read Beyond The Beautiful Forevers. Is childhood different when you are poor or well off? Does boarding school change a person forever?
Childhood is formative for everyone, so the childhood of someone who was educated at a boarding school is likely to have a marked impact on them for the rest of their lives.

One could say that the somewhat sheltered conditions of a boarding-school education are not necessarily a great preparation for dealing with the world at large. The current mess in the UK over Brexit, and the fact that most of the people involved in that mess have attended boarding schools such as Eton, could be seen as evidence of that assertion.
Jacquelyn-63
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacquelyn-63.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Jacquelyn-63 »

I really did not enjoy this book. While well written, morally I couldn’t get past the fact of Ender being a child soldier. I understand that this happens in real life, and I find it just as revolting as I did with this book.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

I love this book. My favorite parts are watching the brilliant Ender excel in Battle School. I have also read many of the other books in the series, but I didn't really enjoy them as much. The exception being Ender's Shadow, probably because it is set back in Battle School again but with a different protagonist.
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

Since I had seen the movie before reading the book, I wasn't sure what to expect of this novel.
I really liked it and intend to read the rest of the series soon. Though I liked the movie, the book tops it by far.
frowngoclownfish
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: Speaker for the Dead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frowngoclownfish.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by frowngoclownfish »

Have you ever read a book at the right time in your life? Like you decided to pick it up said book the moment you needed it most... For me, that book was Ender's Game. I was at a very low point in my life when my mother bought it for me. It changed my life. I own the entire series, all the spin-off series, most of the graphic novels, and the Funko Pop figures they made for the movie. I'm the person I am today because of this book.

As far as the movie goes, it is one of my favorite book to movie adaptions. It isn't perfect, but I still find it to be really good. (And I watch it at least once a year.)
Chewy24601

Post by Chewy24601 »

I never liked science fiction at all, and I'm still iffy on the genre, but Card is such a great writer and his character and dialouge driven stories always keep me on the edge of my seat. I don't think I've cried reading a book till this book and that led me to own every book in the series. I absolutely love all the characters, this series is just amazing.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I remember reading this book when I was much younger and devouring all but the last book in the main series. While I like the mainstream aspect of it, I also like that it asks us to re-examine our views on the military and how it messes up more than just the enemy but also the men and women involved. Or that's how I interpreted it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I absolutely love the books and anything written by this author. I am fascinated by the sci-fi worlds he has created.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Intuitive Catalyst
Favorite Book: The Road
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Intuitive Catalyst »

DATo wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 01:06 A bit of trivia:

Ender's real name was Andrew Wiggin. Ender was a nickname given to him by his sister Valentine. "Ender", in Turkish means extremely rare.

I happen to be reading it right now for the second time. Another interesting note - Card changed the name of the aliens from Formics to Buggers in this re-write for reasons I do not know. If anyone knows please tell me.
Yes, they were Formics initially then the children began calling them Buggers and the name stuck.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

This book was recommended to me by two people whose opinions I value very highly. I was not disappointed. Although this genre is not my favorite, I thought this book was incredible. This is my spouse's favorite book of all time, and for good reason.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Mady4kac
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch

Post by Mady4kac »

This book is amazing! I read it twice already and I just had to read the next one. I read the whole quartet up to Children of the Mind and Ender’s Shadow. The only reason why I stopped there is because they are the only books I could get my hands on.
The book is not only science fiction but also has lots of history, philosophy, a good variety of languages and a great ending.
It indeed is the best science fiction novel there is out there.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure about the novel being the best science fiction book out there but I think it deserved the awards it received.
Ciao :)
Massimo
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Jacquelyn-63 wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 08:29 I really did not enjoy this book. While well written, morally I couldn’t get past the fact of Ender being a child soldier. I understand that this happens in real life, and I find it just as revolting as I did with this book.
I hope nobody liked the fact that Ender was forced to be a child soldier. There's a tragic element in Ender's story, and that continues in its sequels. He's marked for life by what he was forced to do.
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card”