Determining what books to put on your bookshelves

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Determining what books to put on your bookshelves

Post by Sweetp120 »

I have only been a member for just a few short weeks, and navigating the site has been simple at times and then at other times I find I struggle with it. Mostly the struggle is in the bookshelves area. For me, as I can only speak for myself, its not just the title or cover that helps me decide to put a book on my to read list or just ignore it completely. I need some sort of description. Yes, there are hashtags and such on each page that you come across but as a new member only some information is shown to you. Am I the only one that feels a small descriptive paragraph could be helpful in determining whether or not I want to put the book on a certain shelf. Just thinking out loud and trying to understand.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

If a review for a book is on the OBC, it will have a link to it on the book's page.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

There are also original blurbs for some books. However, because it is a member submitted field, not every book will have it. :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

I agree, I would rather read a short description when I look at a book here than have to search the net for a write-up about it!
amjohnson13
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

I struggle with bookshelves too. It always glitches for me! But I think I am going to try out good reads and link them. I saw there was a way to do that, maybe that could work for you?
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Bhaskins wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 13:26 I struggle with bookshelves too. It always glitches for me! But I think I am going to try out good reads and link them. I saw there was a way to do that, maybe that could work for you?
Has it glitched in the past few days?

This thread is specifically for the Bookshelves glitch. We're trying to figure out what is causing it so it can be fixed, but we need those members who are experiencing it to help out. :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Oh! Good to know. I am note sure, but I will try. It's glitched out since I started a few months ago. All other pages are fine, that one seems to freeze!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

I have the same problem. What I do is search for the book to find a paragraph description elsewhere. It's not ideal, but it works. I also try to help other users after me by adding a description, genre, or cover (whatever is missing) so they wouldn't have to do the same. If many users did this, the problem would go away.
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Leah39 »

Yes! I’m brand new to this site, but was wondering where the book descriptions were. I especially noticed it when looking at the book of the month, where it just shows the cover of the book and not much more detail. I was hoping for a little blurb about the book to see if it’s something I’d be interested in, but I figured maybe that’s something I’d learn more about as I became more familiar with the site.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Leah39 wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 16:58 Yes! I’m brand new to this site, but was wondering where the book descriptions were. I especially noticed it when looking at the book of the month, where it just shows the cover of the book and not much more detail. I was hoping for a little blurb about the book to see if it’s something I’d be interested in, but I figured maybe that’s something I’d learn more about as I became more familiar with the site.
Click on the book cover. It will take you to more info, including Amazon links.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Leah39 »

Oh ok. Thank you for your help!

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”