Indicating preferred English style.

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Indicating preferred English style.

Post by Helen_Combe »

It has been suggested that life would be easier for editors if they knew upfront whether the review is in American English, UK English or some other English. This could reduce the number of rechecks requested as the editor will be prepared for outlandish slang and weird spellings.
Perhaps a checkbox upon registration that could be applied to the review?
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Helen_Combe wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 05:25 It has been suggested that life would be easier for editors if they knew upfront whether the review is in American English, UK English or some other English. This could reduce the number of rechecks requested as the editor will be prepared for outlandish slang and weird spellings.
Perhaps a checkbox upon registration that could be applied to the review?
That might work, or some way to mark each review. I wish they would mark the books too as I'm currently reading one in British English that is frustrating because I don't know the slang. But I didn't realize it when I picked the book. I'm enjoying the book, but probably would have left it for someone else to read had I known.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

AmySmiles wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 07:56
That might work, or some way to mark each review. I wish they would mark the books too as I'm currently reading one in British English that is frustrating because I don't know the slang. But I didn't realize it when I picked the book. I'm enjoying the book, but probably would have left it for someone else to read had I known.
You could go to the book on Amazon and look at the author’s page. The biography usually gives their location.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Helen_Combe wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 08:22
AmySmiles wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 07:56
You could go to the book on Amazon and look at the author’s page. The biography usually gives their location.
I guess I should do that, I was just thinking it would be nice if OBC could include it in the author bio. Sometimes I'll do more searching on a book before selecting it, but this particular one I was interested in from just the description we are required to read that I didn't look into it any further. Oh well it's not the end of the world. I can learn some new phrases. :)
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

I just posted a review with (Review in British English) in the title because I was worried about being marked down for using British spelling. Having a checkbox so it is always nice and clear to the editors is a great idea.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

a9436 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 09:13 I just posted a review with (Review in British English) in the title because I was worried about being marked down for using British spelling. Having a checkbox so it is always nice and clear to the editors is a great idea.
What a good idea! Why didn't think of that? :doh:
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 09:31
a9436 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 09:13 I just posted a review with (Review in British English) in the title because I was worried about being marked down for using British spelling. Having a checkbox so it is always nice and clear to the editors is a great idea.
What a good idea! Why didn't think of that? :doh:
You sort of did, actually :D It was a post of yours in the review team support forum that inspired me.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Great idea :)
Either a checkbox or something as simple as writing next to the heading BE or AE should do it too!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”