Receiving payment through PayPal from Online book club

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Sebastian Mhanga
Bookshelf Size: 0

Receiving payment through PayPal from Online book club

Post by Sebastian Mhanga »

My name is Sebastian, based in Tanzania. I have just joined the online book club. I understand the club pays reviewers through PayPal only. Unfortunately Tanzania is not in the send and receive money category of countries for the PayPal system. The country is in the send only category. I would like to know what could be the solution for this issue?

Thanks.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Right now there is no other option.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Hello,
I joined OBC in April 2017 and I live in Nigeria. Paypal does not allow one receive money in Nigeria but we can pay for goods and services via Paypal. I understand clearly the logistic challenges Admin has in using other methods of payment including Western Union and direct bank transfers. Can I suggest that those who have similar challenges be offered an option of being paid using Amazon Gift cards? If that is acceptable to admin, Amazon Gift cards work very well for me. Cheers!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Doesn't amazon gift cards restrict the use of the payment for other purposes? Can it be converted to cash? How can we use it in Nigeria asides from purchasing things from Amazon?
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Hi Vickie, it is pretty restrictive. I agree. However, I guess if one has friends in US, one could consider transferring the gift card to them for cash, but I personally buy a few items on Amazon once in a while so it will definitely come in handy. Could be an option for a few people in our situation and that could reduce the number of people Admin has to figure out a way to pay. I read a post today in the suggestion box forum about buying bitcoins with the gift card. I am not into bitcoins, yet, but that might be helpful for those that are... A knotty issue I agree.
jimmysoft
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jimmysoft »

can I use payza instade of paypal
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Paypal is the only method of payment at this time. Alternatives are being worked on, but are not yet available. :tiphat:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

Sebastian Mhanga wrote:My name is Sebastian, based in Tanzania. I have just joined the online book club. I understand the club pays reviewers through PayPal only. Unfortunately Tanzania is not in the send and receive money category of countries for the PayPal system. The country is in the send only category. I would like to know what could be the solution for this issue?

Thanks.
Hi, am Kenyan, luckily we can receive money from PayPal. But, only in one bank that has the most terrible customer service department. I really hate it whenever their system crashes and no one to assist, especially when in a hurry.

I think Scott was supposed to introduce new payment methods. I would have preferred our homegrown Mpesa or even Payoneer. I think you can vote for this, there was a link but I can't find it.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Alicnim wrote:
Sebastian Mhanga wrote:My name is Sebastian, based in Tanzania. I have just joined the online book club. I understand the club pays reviewers through PayPal only. Unfortunately Tanzania is not in the send and receive money category of countries for the PayPal system. The country is in the send only category. I would like to know what could be the solution for this issue?

Thanks.
Hi, am Kenyan, luckily we can receive money from PayPal. But, only in one bank that has the most terrible customer service department. I really hate it whenever their system crashes and no one to assist, especially when in a hurry.

I think Scott was supposed to introduce new payment methods. I would have preferred our homegrown Mpesa or even Payoneer. I think you can vote for this, there was a link but I can't find it.
The poll is located in the private review team support forum, and it is still open. :tiphat:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html

Post by Alicnim »

Thanks @Gravy, I appreciate the feedback.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The FAQ explain about the available payment methods.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”