Email Verification Help

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Email Verification Help

Post by Scott »

For several different reasons, an email address may need to be verified. For instance, to subscribe to the Book of the Day requires verifying your email.

Normally, the process is very simple: You click the button to be sent the verification email, then you click the link in the email message, then your email is verified. Simple as that. Usually.

If you aren't getting the email verification link, please try the following in the listed order:
  1. Have the verification email resent. There should be a resend button on the appropriate page.
  2. Double-check your spam/junk folder.
  3. Double-check your email address is correct. It should be listed near the resend button.
  4. Add [email protected] to your whitelist or approved senders, etc.
  5. Contact your email provider about the problem. Since we may have never emailed you before, your email provider may be blocking the email by mistake. Most email providers put these emails into a special folder for suspected junk/spam, but some email providers are much less user-friendly and just delete the emails without notice to you.
  6. Switch email providers. Ours is probably not the only email you are missing.
  7. Post a reply in this topic explaining the steps you have taken to resolve the issue, especially in regard to step 5. I will do my best to help you.
IMPORTANT: When replying to this post, to get help you must explain what happened when you tried all the steps above, AND you must include what your email provider said about the issue when you asked them about the issue.

DO NOT POST A REPLY IN THIS TOPIC UNLESS YOU HAVE CONTACTED YOUR EMAIL PROVIDER DIRECTLY AND RECEIVED A RESPONSE. PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR EMAIL PROVIDER'S RESPONSE IN YOUR POST IN THIS TOPIC.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Done and done. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Done!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Done! 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Thank you, everyone :)

I think this will make the system work better for everyone. With that said, I am truly sorry for the inconvenience.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I haven't gotten the email verification yet--possibly because I've been having issues with my email most of today. I'll recheck tomorrow and try the resend if necessary--and I'll change to a different email address if all else fails.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

I've done mine too.

When does the new scoring kick in? That essentially sets a deadline for email verification if you don't want your points to take a hit.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

@MsMartha Let me know if the issue isn't resolved for you.

@anonanemone I hope to have the new scoring formula in place sometime tomorrow.

kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I've tried all of the above and haven't received any verification code. This email has worked before, but hasn't received any messages for a while. All email addresses I received messages from in the past have been add to the whitelist. I used a different email, but it isn't my preferred email. is there something different i have to do for comcast?
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

kio wrote:I've tried all of the above and haven't received any verification code. This email has worked before, but hasn't received any messages for a while. All email addresses I received messages from in the past have been add to the whitelist. I used a different email, but it isn't my preferred email. is there something different i have to do for comcast?
@kio what did Comcast say about it?

Are you receiving email to the one you have associated with your account now (hotmail)?

MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Scott wrote:@MsMartha Let me know if the issue isn't resolved for you.
OK, I've been trying to get this done, but no luck. The resend didn't work. I've been trying to change my email address and haven't had any luck with that, either--although I believe I've followed the directions to edit account settings on the control panel. I've tried using my current password, and changing to a new password--neither seems to work. LOL--now I'm afraid to close this down for fear I won't be able to sign in again. What do you suggest? Thanks!
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

MsMartha wrote:
OK, I've been trying to get this done, but no luck. The resend didn't work. I've been trying to change my email address and haven't had any luck with that, either--although I believe I've followed the directions to edit account settings on the control panel. I've tried using my current password, and changing to a new password--neither seems to work. LOL--now I'm afraid to close this down for fear I won't be able to sign in again. What do you suggest? Thanks!
I'm sorry for all the trouble. What did your email provider say about the issue?

MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Scott wrote:
MsMartha wrote:
I'm sorry for all the trouble. What did your email provider say about the issue?
To be honest, I haven't asked them. I did receive some emails from the Online Bookclub on 1/3/16. There's a reason for not asking--I've had some other issues over the past few months, and the provider has indicated that the issues were because of the sender, not the provider. Frankly, based on what the sender told me, I wasn't sure that was correct--so I switched that sender to my gmail account and it has worked well so far.

Since you're the admin, is there something you can do to update my email and password? I think I could send you a pm with info, rather than posting it here. Or maybe you can give me some specific instructions since the ones I tried on the User Control Panel didn't work--

Thanks so much for your help!
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You can contact me privately with your new email address (gmail?) and I can update it for you. The contact link is in the footer of the site.

MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Scott wrote:You can contact me privately with your new email address (gmail?) and I can update it for you. The contact link is in the footer of the site.
I sent a pm--it's showing in my Outbox. Will it automatically send to you, or is there something I need to do? Thanks--

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”