New review team page

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Re: New review team page

Post by Scott »

Yes, nobody seems to have complained about the changes making it too hard to get a review. From the testing I did, it looks like there are still multiple reviews available to all reviewers, even new 'level 0' reviewers.

I suspect that some of the issues we have had in the past with trying to balance the availability of reviews with the demand to join the review team have already been alleviated with a moderate increase in the proofreading and quality standards for reviews, thanks to the editors.

-- 17 Mar 2015 12:19 pm --

One thing I have been considering is adding the option for reviewers to earn some temporary 'bonus points' to their score, maybe in the range of 5-20 points for doing things like completing their profile on the forums (i.e. uploading a custom avatar, signature, etc.).

Another change I made is that when a new review is published a 'latest review' link is added below the signature of that person. I'm hoping this will help reviewers who are quality participants in the community get higher popularity scores--under the thought that other members will think to themselves this person seems cool, I'd like to read their latest review for which I see a link right here.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Scott I recently had a review published and I noticed that I do not have a link to my "latest review" below my avatar or in my signature section.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

@bluemel4 I have just now retroactively added the link to the latest published review to all the review team members. A member's link should automatically update whenever a new review is published by that member. Thank you!
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Scott you are the best!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I think this might be my favorite addition to the site! 8)
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

bluemel4 wrote:Scott you are the best!
Thanks for noticing!

:P
ALynnPowers wrote:I think this might be my favorite addition to the site! 8)
Well, since you have over seven thousand posts it should be. :)

PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Very nice addition. I've used it already!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

Scott wrote: Another change I made is that when a new review is published a 'latest review' link is added below the signature of that person. I'm hoping this will help reviewers who are quality participants in the community get higher popularity scores--under the thought that other members will think to themselves this person seems cool, I'd like to read their latest review for which I see a link right here.
I really love that idea! I appreciate all of the help I can get :wink:
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Indeed. :) I think the signature reference to the review can really help members who use it right to increase their score. Basically, if one makes really helpful, insightful and nice posts on the forums, other members will think 'I like this person and this person's opinion; let me read that review that's mention right there in the signature by this person'.

Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Great addition, @Scott

I have a few questions regarding editorial work.

1) I've noticed that one particular reviewer's reviews have been very steadily improving so that their scores have moved from a 4 to, most recently, a 6 (I know this because I've rated nearly all of them). This is so great to see and I wondered whether, after discussing the monthly awards some time ago, there might be one for most improved reviewer? I know there has been some issues recently regarding the progress of members going unnoticed and this would offer a solution to that problem.

2) In reviews there might be spelling/grammatical/punctuation errors but the review generally might be very insightful and interesting, so I don't feel comfortable marking it down when its content is otherwise great. Is there any way to separate the score from a reviewer's decision to have it published or not? For example, a drop-down menu from which to choose "to be published" or "not to be published" and if the latter is selected the editor can explain why while also providing feedback in the current way. This means that reviews are given the best rating possible on condition that they make certain changes and once these changes are made they can re-submit and the review can be published with that rating. Of course, this might need to be tweaked, but I just wondered what everybody thought. I know this relates to a much smaller number of people.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I think I want to change the reviewer scoring formula to make more recent reviews count more towards the editorial analysis score than older reviews. That way members will not have their score dragged down by a few low scored reviews done at first when they are still getting used to everything, once they do a couple well-rated reviews.

I am not fond of the idea of having reviews rewritten. If the guidelines were not followed, I would like someone else to do the review following the guidelines the whole time. A big part of the issue here is that I am not counting on the editor process to find and correct every little thing to make it a great review, but rather I want the editor process to simply double-check that the review was done according to the standards. I want to make sure we are delivering a high quality service to the authors and publishers who gives us free copies of their books for review.

Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Scott wrote:I think I want to change the reviewer scoring formula to make more recent reviews count more towards the editorial analysis score than older reviews. That way members will not have their score dragged down by a few low scored reviews done at first when they are still getting used to everything, once they do a couple well-rated reviews.

I am not fond of the idea of having reviews rewritten. If the guidelines were not followed, I would like someone else to do the review following the guidelines the whole time. A big part of the issue here is that I am not counting on the editor process to find and correct every little thing to make it a great review, but rather I want the editor process to simply double-check that the review was done according to the standards. I want to make sure we are delivering a high quality service to the authors and publishers who gives us free copies of their books for review.
Understood, sir! :handgestures-salute:

Good idea about making newer reviews have more input :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Scott wrote:I think I want to change the reviewer scoring formula to make more recent reviews count more towards the editorial analysis score than older reviews. That way members will not have their score dragged down by a few low scored reviews done at first when they are still getting used to everything, once they do a couple well-rated reviews.

Here's my 2 cents about these issues:

I have mixed feelings about the scoring formula possibly changed to give more weight to more recent reviews. I agree with the reasons you posted. However, there are some books that are just a bit difficult to summarize and review, no matter how experienced the reviewer is. In these cases, the reviewer's overall score would be disproportionately lowered under the proposed scoring formula.

As for the proposal of having reviews rewritten, I agree with Scott. I am not a fan. I don't think the editors should have to basically suggest rewrites of a review in order for the review to become acceptable for publication. It's true that editors do give suggestions, including grammatical changes, rewording confusing sections, etc. However, the ultimate goal is for the authors to be given high quality reviews.

-- 22 Mar 2015, 20:56 --

I hope my observations don't come across as overly harsh.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Just forget I mentioned it. It was stupid of me :)
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

I may be exceptionally dense, but is there any way to see what is affecting our editorial analysis score? I completely understand the logic behind not allowing rewrites, but I feel it would be helpful to know what I can improve in my subsequent reviews. I fear I am repeating the same mistakes over and over, and my score keeps gradually decreasing.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”