Forum Rules

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

CharlizeGwapa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlizegwapa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Re: Topic Creation Guidelines

Post by CharlizeGwapa »

As a newbie, this forum really is helpful to me. Thanks for sharing.
bigbootyjudy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bigbootyjudy »

I am a new member and just now starting to see how the site works. I'm glad that all the rules and guidelines have been made available for our review. I'm reading everything available to us new member before I start doing anything. Hopefully that will help me to understand everything and make it easier to get started reading and reviewing books. Thank you very much
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

So are you not suppose to use a topic someone else already has?
amjohnson13
Perp07
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Perp07 »

I am still new and still getting to know how the website works. These information/guidelines are very informative although restricted to just posting reviews on books read. Thanks
Laiba shahzad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading: Pressing Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Laiba shahzad »

Thank you for these quick guide lines 😀
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I appreciate these guidelines in general, but as some one new (joined yesterday), who works in the field of user experience, I am wondering if I can give some suggestions as to how to make this post/page a little better.
Instructions for how to search for a book across all the topics within the Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series would be really great. There was a book I wanted to post a review for. I searched for it in the genre I believed was appropriate, and did not find it, so I created a new topic. That topic was rejected because there was already a thread about that book in a different genre - one I never would have thought to look for it in, searching individually. The response to my topic being rejected was simply that I should search for topics before asking to create one. I had searched, I just hadn't searched everywhere. So instructions in this specific post about how to use the advanced search feature to search across multiple topics/genres, I think might be really helpful.

The other bit of feedback I got on creating a topic, I am not quickly/easily finding guidance on, so again, it might be something to put here. I had a topic disapproved because
"Please note that new members are not allowed to open topics for books with a low Amazon sales rank. Thank you."
I don't have a problem with this rule, but I can't find where that rule listed anywhere. Nor any additional guidance on it. What is the metric/cut off line for low Amazon sales rank? And at one point do I stop being a "new member" (which, given that it's day 2 on the forum for me, I accept isn't happening any time soon), so that I can post a review of a book that has a low sales rank?
I don't know that this specific information needs to be on this post, but it should be referenced, with a link to the further information.

Thanks for considering these ideas for improving the experience of new members. I really look forward to participating here.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

esp1975 wrote: 22 May 2019, 11:48 I appreciate these guidelines in general, but as some one new (joined yesterday), who works in the field of user experience, I am wondering if I can give some suggestions as to how to make this post/page a little better.
Instructions for how to search for a book across all the topics within the Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series would be really great. There was a book I wanted to post a review for. I searched for it in the genre I believed was appropriate, and did not find it, so I created a new topic. That topic was rejected because there was already a thread about that book in a different genre - one I never would have thought to look for it in, searching individually. The response to my topic being rejected was simply that I should search for topics before asking to create one. I had searched, I just hadn't searched everywhere. So instructions in this specific post about how to use the advanced search feature to search across multiple topics/genres, I think might be really helpful.

The other bit of feedback I got on creating a topic, I am not quickly/easily finding guidance on, so again, it might be something to put here. I had a topic disapproved because
"Please note that new members are not allowed to open topics for books with a low Amazon sales rank. Thank you."
I don't have a problem with this rule, but I can't find where that rule listed anywhere. Nor any additional guidance on it. What is the metric/cut off line for low Amazon sales rank? And at one point do I stop being a "new member" (which, given that it's day 2 on the forum for me, I accept isn't happening any time soon), so that I can post a review of a book that has a low sales rank?
I don't know that this specific information needs to be on this post, but it should be referenced, with a link to the further information.

Thanks for considering these ideas for improving the experience of new members. I really look forward to participating here.
You should use the search option at the top of the page.

You can find the rule on low Amazon sales rank here: Strict Anti-Spam Rules: Important for authors and publishers:
8. If you have less than 25 posts or have been registered less than 1 week, you may not make a post about a book with an Amazon sales rank worse than 100,000 in books. This is because we assume you are either the author, publisher or paid promoter of the book if you start saying good things about some low-selling or independent book, and the first rule in this list strictly prohibits anyone from ever posting about their own book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

gali wrote: 22 May 2019, 14:18

You can find the rule on low Amazon sales rank here: Strict Anti-Spam Rules: Important for authors and publishers:
8. If you have less than 25 posts or have been registered less than 1 week, you may not make a post about a book with an Amazon sales rank worse than 100,000 in books. This is because we assume you are either the author, publisher or paid promoter of the book if you start saying good things about some low-selling or independent book, and the first rule in this list strictly prohibits anyone from ever posting about their own book.
Gali- Thank you for the reply. I did figure out the search function, but it is not intuitive. I am simply suggesting that letting people know they need to use the Advanced Search feature, not just the search feature, in order to search on multiple forums at a time, would be helpful to new people trying to figure out how to find out if a book already has a thread. I could see from other comments that I was not the first person to have some confusion about how to do that.

I also appreciate you sharing the information about what qualifies me as a new member and low Amazon sales rank. I completely understand and appreciate the rule. However, as I am not a publisher or an author, it did not occur to me to read Anti-Spam rules for Authors and Publishers, to know what I should and should not be posting. So again, my suggestion (not only to help new members, but also to cut down on work for the moderators) is to make that rule more visible to new members of the forums.

Thanks again
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

esp1975 wrote: 22 May 2019, 14:26
gali wrote: 22 May 2019, 14:18

Gali- Thank you for the reply. I did figure out the search function, but it is not intuitive. I am simply suggesting that letting people know they need to use the Advanced Search feature, not just the search feature, in order to search on multiple forums at a time, would be helpful to new people trying to figure out how to find out if a book already has a thread. I could see from other comments that I was not the first person to have some confusion about how to do that.

I also appreciate you sharing the information about what qualifies me as a new member and low Amazon sales rank. I completely understand and appreciate the rule. However, as I am not a publisher or an author, it did not occur to me to read Anti-Spam rules for Authors and Publishers, to know what I should and should not be posting. So again, my suggestion (not only to help new members, but also to cut down on work for the moderators) is to make that rule more visible to new members of the forums.

Thanks again
I added your suggestion about the search. :tiphat:

Scott does advise new members to read the Anti-Spam rules in his post, and there is a link to the Strict Anti-Spam Rules:
If you are new to the forum, please also familiarize yourself with our Strict Anti-Spam Rules. Make sure to adhere to those as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Michelle_F
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Michelle_F »

Thank you so much for these guidelines.
Adebowale_Gideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adebowale-gideon.html
Latest Review: All Good Things by Rosemary Reeve

Post by Adebowale_Gideon »

Thanks for the guidelines it is very helpful
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Thanks, Scott! I can definitely use these guidelines!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
NinjaCustoms17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by NinjaCustoms17 »

:D 8) New member here. My name is Jimmie. I'm excited to get the opportunity to not only review books but also learn from books I was already interested in reading. Thanks for these guidelines to help me get started!
Fershad1423
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fershad1423.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Fershad1423 »

Thanks! guidelines were a great help.looking forward to have a great journey with you all...
AsaDMc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by AsaDMc »

Thanks for the information and the opportunity to join your team.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”