Announcing Bookshelves - Free Web App at Online Book Club!

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: Announcing Bookshelves - Free Web App at Online Book Clu

Post by Gravy »

Thank you, Scott!

----------------------------------------

Thanks, bookowlie!
Gravymaster would be awesome :laughing-rolling:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Oh, yes ... one more thing. How do we fix issues with purchase information? The fields can't be altered, so the only way to do it is to sabotage the old copy, create a new (correct) copy and then merge the two.

But that leads to another issue: if this is what moderators have to do each time, the process will take much longer than it has to if every step has to be approved by a fellow moderator. Is there any way to quicken the process at all?
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

ryanj1 wrote:Oh, yes ... one more thing. How do we fix issues with purchase information? The fields can't be altered, so the only way to do it is to sabotage the old copy, create a new (correct) copy and then merge the two.

But that leads to another issue: if this is what moderators have to do each time, the process will take much longer than it has to if every step has to be approved by a fellow moderator. Is there any way to quicken the process at all?
You mean the non-working purchase links? I wondered about that as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
cherokee_rose
Currently Reading: The Bookmaker
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherokee-rose.html

Post by cherokee_rose »

I have been absent from the site for quite awhile so I was very happy to come back and see this bookshelf app. Great work on it!
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

ryanj1 wrote:Oh, yes ... one more thing. How do we fix issues with purchase information? The fields can't be altered, so the only way to do it is to sabotage the old copy, create a new (correct) copy and then merge the two.

@ryanj1 I have made some slight changes just now due to your good point. As moderators, you will know always be able to click the link to add purchase links. More importantly, when you click that link you can as moderators change the purchase links even if they had already been set. If they had already been set, then the fields should be pre-filled with the previous information (in case you don't want to change that field) but you can change it now.

-- 20 Apr 2015 01:02 pm --
cherokee_rose wrote:I have been absent from the site for quite awhile so I was very happy to come back and see this bookshelf app. Great work on it!
Thank you! I am glad you like it! :D

One great thing about it is I am here to make changes and consider suggestions personally.

Sites like Facebook might be popular and really useful, but at the same time they will not be able to take each and every person's suggestions into consideration. With Bookshelves, I am eager for suggestions from the people who are using it. In that way, you can customize your experience with Bookshelves by truly helping determine where the software goes from here! :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Scott wrote:

@ryanj1 I have made some slight changes just now due to your good point. As moderators, you will know always be able to click the link to add purchase links. More importantly, when you click that link you can as moderators change the purchase links even if they had already been set. If they had already been set, then the fields should be pre-filled with the previous information (in case you don't want to change that field) but you can change it now.
Thanks, Scott. This is much better :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

@Scott
I figure this can be asked here as it, at least somewhat, pertains to the bookshelves.
When posting about a certain book, whether a review or even just posting in 'what are you reading now', would it be acceptable to add a link to the book on bookshelves?

Sorry if this is a stupid question :lol: :oops:

Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Graverobber wrote:@Scott
I figure this can be asked here as it, at least somewhat, pertains to the bookshelves.
When posting about a certain book, whether a review or even just posting in 'what are you reading now', would it be acceptable to add a link to the book on bookshelves?

I'd imagine so. Presumably your caution is based on its similarity to self-/promotion? I don't think that should be a problem seeing as the book would already be on the shelves :)

While I'm here, might it be possible to streamline the process of moving books from shelf to shelf without going to the book's page first? I'm thinking mainly about adding a "move to" drop down box right beneath the "bump to top" button and an "update position box" underneath that. Having to click on the book's page first can be a real pain :)
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

ryanj1 wrote:

I'd imagine so. Presumably your caution is based on its similarity to self-/promotion? I don't think that should be a problem seeing as the book would already be on the shelves :)
That, but also because of the link itself. I've explored all over this site and I seem to remember a warning or something about excessive links :eusa-think:
While I'm here, might it be possible to streamline the process of moving books from shelf to shelf without going to the book's page first? I'm thinking mainly about adding a "move to" drop down box right beneath the "bump to top" button and an "update position box" underneath that. Having to click on the book's page first can be a real pain :)
:text-yeahthat:
Completely agree.

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I encourage it! :D

-- 25 Apr 2015 12:27 pm --
ryanj1 wrote:While I'm here, might it be possible to streamline the process of moving books from shelf to shelf without going to the book's page first? I'm thinking mainly about adding a "move to" drop down box right beneath the "bump to top" button and an "update position box" underneath that. Having to click on the book's page first can be a real pain
Yes, great idea! :) I will have it done later today. We are especially lucky on this because I only just started my first coffee today. :techie-ebay:
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Just so somebody knows....

My bookshelf is kinda messed up. Many of the titles don't match the covers, and some covers repeat multiple times. It was fine before. Not sure what happened.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Scott wrote:I encourage it! :D
Thanks, Scott! :mrgreen:
Yes, great idea! :) I will have it done later today. We are especially lucky on this because I only just started my first coffee today. :techie-ebay:
Hahahaha! :lol:
Coffee 8)
PashaRu wrote:Just so somebody knows....

My bookshelf is kinda messed up. Many of the titles don't match the covers, and some covers repeat multiple times. It was fine before. Not sure what happened.
:shock:
I don't see anything like that...

PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html

Post by PashaRu »

Seems okay now. Must've been the gremlins.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Nope...The Glinch! :evil:
He does evil things like that :lol:

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

@"Scott", I like the new addition to the Bookshelves (update position box). It makes it easier to move books around. Well done! :dance:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”