Providing a diverse genre selection

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Providing a diverse genre selection

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm currently a trial bookshelf moderator and I could not help but notice that instead of limiting our genre selection to other fiction cannot we introduced more genre selection like detective, historical non-fiction, memoirs (instead of putting subject books like management and biography books under non-fiction) to give more order and clear idea to what this book is about. I find certain historical non-fiction read under historical fiction, that's too bad. What do you think about my suggestion?
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I would love to see more genre options for bookshelves. I read a lot of Erotica, and while it might technically fall under Romance or Other Fiction, I think it'd be better to be forthright with this genre. Many folks who read Romance may not want to read Erotica and I think it'd help to better weed through that distinction with new genre choices added to Bookshelves. I understand that the hashtags can help with this issue (if it's even an issue; I may be the only one seeing a problem), but feel the genre would better help.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Sahani Nimandra

PlanetHauth wrote: 11 May 2018, 00:41 I would love to see more genre options for bookshelves. I read a lot of Erotica, and while it might technically fall under Romance or Other Fiction, I think it'd be better to be forthright with this genre. Many folks who read Romance may not want to read Erotica and I think it'd help to better weed through that distinction with new genre choices added to Bookshelves. I understand that the hashtags can help with this issue (if it's even an issue; I may be the only one seeing a problem), but feel the genre would better help.
That's true. All I wanted was to give a clear direction to the reader as to what this book is all about straight so that they can make a choice if they want to read it or not.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

The tagging system enables this.

The one problem there is when people get a little overzealous with the tags. I saw a book the other day that, I swear, had over 50 tags, but being unfamiliar with the book, I didn't know which ones were extraneous. :(

Seriously though, the tags really help with this. My comfort genre is urban fantasy (no way is that getting its own genre designation), but the tagging makes finding them so easy. :mrgreen:
I'm hoping we get something similar for the forums eventually.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Sahani Nimandra

Gravy wrote: 11 May 2018, 19:30 The tagging system enables this.

The one problem there is when people get a little overzealous with the tags. I saw a book the other day that, I swear, had over 50 tags, but being unfamiliar with the book, I didn't know which ones were extraneous. :(

Seriously though, the tags really help with this. My comfort genre is urban fantasy (no way is that getting its own genre designation), but the tagging makes finding them so easy. :mrgreen:
That's good, but when I checked through book some information are wrong, I mean SO WRONG! sometimes all the information in one book is wrong. What I usually do is start a new book with the same name and I merge it. Sometimes in tags to I see that, some tags are clearly not related to the book and for this reason I though why not expand our genre system. It gives clear direction.
Sahani Nimandra

Gravy wrote: 11 May 2018, 19:30 The tagging system enables this.

You know what, why don't we recognize the most important the most important genre and then add them in while the others we can use the tag system. What do you think?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Scott's in charge of what genres are added or not. :tiphat:

Also, it's better not to create a new book. The old one may be in the correct/preferred form for entry, or could be a book submitted for review. If there's actually an error in the book's title/subtitle than that works (though it's still best to leave review requests alone), but otherwise we can just delete the incorrect tags. :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Sahani Nimandra

Gravy wrote: 12 May 2018, 07:30 Scott's in charge of what genres are added or not. :tiphat:

Also, it's better not to create a new book. The old one may be in the correct/preferred form for entry, or could be a book submitted for review. If there's actually an error in the book's title/subtitle than that works (though it's still best to leave review requests alone), but otherwise we can just delete the incorrect tags. :tiphat:
Hm! I guess you are right!
GingerJSM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerjsm.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by GingerJSM »

I would personally just like to be able to know ahead of time that the SEX will be heavy in the book before I commit to reading and reviewing it. My last book review was a 36% because every other page was just blatantly pasted with graphic sex and I honestly had no idea WHO to recommend such a book to. (According to the editor that was the only reason for deductions)
Sahani Nimandra

GingerJSM wrote: 23 May 2018, 22:42 I would personally just like to be able to know ahead of time that the SEX will be heavy in the book before I commit to reading and reviewing it. My last book review was a 36% because every other page was just blatantly pasted with graphic sex and I honestly had no idea WHO to recommend such a book to. (According to the editor that was the only reason for deductions)
If it was twisted threads, then yes, I have reviewed that book and ya I agree with you on the sex part some of them were meaning less.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

GingerJSM wrote: 23 May 2018, 22:42 I would personally just like to be able to know ahead of time that the SEX will be heavy in the book before I commit to reading and reviewing it. My last book review was a 36% because every other page was just blatantly pasted with graphic sex and I honestly had no idea WHO to recommend such a book to. (According to the editor that was the only reason for deductions)
One of the guidelines requirements is to indicate who would or would not find the book appealing. The editor HAS to mark you off for not following a guideline. For something like that, you could say something along the lines that those who enjoy erotica with an interesting storyline might find the book appealing. Or you could go with the "wouldn't find it appealing" and indicate that those who don't enjoy erotica would not find the book enjoyable.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kitten69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitten69.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kitten69 »

I understand the thought behind placing a book in a more descriptive genre listing and the fact that it may already be placed where it is supposed to be, while the other issue is that it could possibly be a book for review. I wonder if it would not be possible to entertain the idea of placing those specific genre under a larger title? For example I will use the Fifty Shades of Gray novel, (which by the way I had no idea of what this was until my 16 year old came home with it and I asked what it was. She had borrowed it from a friend to read and when I found out how graphic it was, I completely lost my mind). What if we took that and say the Argenau series by Lynsay Sands and placed them both under a title of Romance/Sexual or something to that effect, so that those who are not interested in reading explicit sexual themes are not so taken aback by the read itself.
Sahani Nimandra

Kitten69 wrote: 26 May 2018, 20:05 I understand the thought behind placing a book in a more descriptive genre listing and the fact that it may already be placed where it is supposed to be, while the other issue is that it could possibly be a book for review. I wonder if it would not be possible to entertain the idea of placing those specific genre under a larger title? For example I will use the Fifty Shades of Gray novel, (which by the way I had no idea of what this was until my 16 year old came home with it and I asked what it was. She had borrowed it from a friend to read and when I found out how graphic it was, I completely lost my mind). What if we took that and say the Argenau series by Lynsay Sands and placed them both under a title of Romance/Sexual or something to that effect, so that those who are not interested in reading explicit sexual themes are not so taken aback by the read itself.
Your concern is valid! A lot people want the romance and erotic to be kept a part or either highlighted so it will be a fair warning. I thing the TAG system would do but then it will be the BsMod responsibility to check into them.
Kitten69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitten69.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kitten69 »

Thank you for the response Sahani. I am unsure what the TAG system is (I am fairly new to this whole system altogether), but I would think that the description can be misleading at times. For example, I am an avid reader of paranormal romance as the general title is known, and most people see this as ghosts and vampire novels, but the romance part can get pretty steamy sometimes. If this TAG system is what I think it is then I believe that it would provide a more detailed description and that could more helpful to the readers when choosing their book.
Sahani Nimandra

Kitten69 wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 00:14 Thank you for the response Sahani. I am unsure what the TAG system is (I am fairly new to this whole system altogether), but I would think that the description can be misleading at times. For example, I am an avid reader of paranormal romance as the general title is known, and most people see this as ghosts and vampire novels, but the romance part can get pretty steamy sometimes. If this TAG system is what I think it is then I believe that it would provide a more detailed description and that could more helpful to the readers when choosing their book.
That's exactly why I decided to check in them, but this is a long term process.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”