Is buying a Kindle e-reader really worth it?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Bookgirleva
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Is buying a Kindle e-reader really worth it?

Post by Bookgirleva »

You can get an anti glare screen for your fire on amazon
Bookgirleva

Post by Bookgirleva »

Jennifer Fernandez wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 13:38
ladycatsinger wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 06:48 I have 2 Kindles: the original e-reader (called the Kindle Keyboard) that I have had for years, and a Kindle FireHD7 that I bought 4 or 5 years ago. While I still read physical books, when I am out and about I prefer my Kindle. It is light, fits in my purse and I can have my whole library at my fingertips. This is really important for me since I tend to read several books at once, depending on what I am in the mood for at the present time. That would be really inconvenient having to carry a stack of books with me. If you only want to use it to read books and magazines, get the regular Kindle, but if you want to be able to access the Internet, play games and listen to music, go for the Fire. I just wish they would make a Kindle Fire with a non-glare screen. That is one advantage the regular Kindle has over the Fire.
I think I would be leaning more to the non-glare Kindles. I thought the Kindle Fire would include the non-glare. I guess we can't have it all. It would be cool if they add it as an on/off function.
There is an anti glare and if you can buy with the fire, but the battery runs out about as fast as a cell phone due to its multiple functions. i have to charge mine everyday, at least. I use my fire in place of a PC most of the time. The regular kindle ereader usually needs to be charged once or twice a week.
Bookgirleva

Post by Bookgirleva »

Worth it for the free books alone
Runningmama
Currently Reading: Passion
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Runningmama »

My Kindle has saved my eyes - and my back! It is so nice to have for travel. I get headaches when I read e-books on my phone but no issues with Kindle.
bear_6743
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rheanna11.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by bear_6743 »

Hello! I absolutely love my kindle fire. I have had it for about four years now and it is the perfect device for me because I like to go on Facebook and when I want to switch from that to my ebooks it is very simple and convenient. I have not tried nook tablets so I cannot give an accurate comparison but I have been very satisfied with my kindle fire.
ShataraL
Currently Reading: Throne of Glass
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ShataraL »

I had the first Kindle, a Fire and currently I have a Paperwhite. Kindle changed reading for me. I wouldn’t recommend a Fire unless it is for a child because as an avid reader I don’t like to be interrupted while reading especially to charge a battery and since the Fires run on a different operating system to the paperwhites and voyages the batteries die faster. Also the space on a Fire is less. There’s also the matter of the glare. However if you have any iDevice, tablet or laptop you can download the Kindle app free of cost. You have your books for free and the portability. Although I love my kindle nothing beats the smell of the pages of a book. It’s a treat even now and again. But there’s less dust with a kindle lol.
bookdragon7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookdragon7.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B007HCCOIA

Post by bookdragon7 »

I am and always will be a huge supporter of regular print books. That being said, having a kindle has made me view e books in a more positive light. If you're a fast reader like I am, trips were painful to plan for, especially if I was already in the middle of a book. Carrying more than one book eats up luggage space and makes your bag heavier. Having a kindle is so handy! You have so many books in a small, light machine. I've never highlighted print books but the highlighting option is also very handy. Getting free books and having so many downloaded has made me begin to read more again regardless of my busy schedule. They are handy and worth buying.
LFCCOG1
Currently Reading: Stepping Up
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by LFCCOG1 »

I do have a Kindle that was given to me, but I'm not sure I would have bought one for myself. You are correct that Nook is the Barnes and Noble form of Kindle. Although I have enjoyed reading a few books on my Kindle, I much prefer actual books, and hanging out in bookstores to find books I might never find otherwise. There's just something about holding a book in my hands and turning the pages that I prefer over "swiping right."
perthy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by perthy »

To be honest, buying physical books is still better for me because they're more fun to read and your eyes don't strain as much. I only have a Kindle reader because I tend to travel a lot. But really, physical books are still King for me. I am just more enthusiastic to pick up one and read them.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I'd love to have a Kindle and avoid much eye discomfort from reading in digital devices.
Bakerreader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bakerreader »

is Kindle worth it? I think so. I'm on my third version and getting ready to trade in for newer model. I think Kindle is incredibly user friendly. I am on my Kindle more than I am on my cell phone. I thought originally I would miss a hard book format, but Kindle stores hundreds of my books with no space set aside in my house...super. I don't have to search through bookshelves to reread a book...I just pull it up from the cloud. I deal with eye strain issues from all my reading and Kindle let's you set the font larger, change the lighting so it's not so harsh and even do blue light. Again, super for me. I've never had one issue or problem with any of my Kindles, so for me they ate extremely dependable. I get a bigger screen than my phone for shopping or gaming online. The books' prices are fair and I have actually gotten refunds from time to time as book prices drop. Who else does all that???
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

I am saving money to buy a kindle. I am from India. There are no service centres from Kindle here. Some reviews on Amazon scare me. They claim that their kindle screen was dark when they received it. Some just stopped working after 3 months and just wouldn't on. What if my kindle gets sick? how can I fix it without a service centre? And am saving pretty hard so I wanna know.... is it really worth it??? please be honest babes...
KS the Dreamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ks-the-dreamer.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by KS the Dreamer »

To be completely honest I love my Kindle.
I started reading ebooks on a tablet, I wasn't a fan and found the screen gave me headaches. I got a paperwhite since I read so much and I've never looked back. It is backlit so you can read in the dark and the screen is anti-glare. When I used to use a tablet, or even the kindle fire (which I'm not a fan of) if the sun shone I couldn't see the text, but the Paperwhite is ideal, plus the battery life is really good.
On the flip side, if you wanted something that would play games and host internet sites with ease, then the Paperwhite won't do that, nor does it do text to sound.
I have a fire which I use solely for text to speech listening, and my son uses it for colour books and apps.
I am currently on my 2nd paperwhite. The first lasted years, and only broke because a mug of hot chocolate was spilt on it. I find it reliable and durable and I can't imagine not having one.

I hope this helps
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle

Post by srividyag1 »

Jennifer Fernandez wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 18:22 Hello, fellow readers! I'm fairly new to this kindle world. I always read my books on paper. I've been using my tablet and cell phone with the Kindle app to read and so far I've never had a problem. I find that I prefer reading physical books but the Kindle app is so convenient for highlighting and taking notes. The portability is also very convenient compared to a heavy book. I started wondering about the difference between the Kindle app and the different readers. Also, what is a Nook? Is it some kind of Kindle reader but for Barnes and Noble? Is it compatible with Kindle? Anyone who has Kindle or Nook can give some advice? Should I change the Kindle App for a reader? I heard about the Paper White Kindle and I was curious but is it really like paper? Thank you in advance for your advice!
I would really recommend going for Kindle Paperwhite. The experience is drastically different from that of the kindle app. Kindle app, though with good design, still hurts your eyes. But kindle Paperwhite uses e ink technology and instead of backlight it used miniscule LEDs on the sides to throw light over the page. I read a lot in the dark using my kindle Paperwhite and I can assure you it'll not hurt the eyes. If it's a Choice between app and kindle device, there's no need for further ado.. And as far as physical books are concerned, I love the smell and the feel of paper, but space constraints and carrying a heavy book make my commute difficult, so I prefer kindle. Plus, you can't read a physical book in the dark. And guess what kindle is easy on the wallet too.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

I love my Kindle. I, too, liked the feel of a physical book, but the Kindle can hold an entire library in a tiny space. I got used to reading on it right away.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”