New Oasis on the market

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

New Oasis on the market

Post by gali »

Have you seen the new Kindle Oasis?

Amazon is going to release a new Kindle Oasis which is waterproof and has a bigger screen. It is also cheaper from the old Oasis. I am happy with mine, but like the idea of a bigger screen. What do you think? Going to buy it?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

How much bigger is it? I'm always looking for a good new tablet.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali

Post by gali »

kandscreeley wrote:How much bigger is it? I'm always looking for a good new tablet.
It is 7-inch instead of 6''.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I probably won't get it then. My husband has a kindle fire and he enjoys it, but I use my tablet for a lot more than just reading. I don't like how limited Amazon is as far as apps and things. I like more of an android tablet. Course I don't know much about the Oasis verses Kindle Fire anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali

Post by gali »

kandscreeley wrote:I probably won't get it then. My husband has a kindle fire and he enjoys it, but I use my tablet for a lot more than just reading. I don't like how limited Amazon is as far as apps and things. I like more of an android tablet. Course I don't know much about the Oasis verses Kindle Fire anyway.
An e-reader is different from a tablet and gives a better reading experience. I have a kindle and like it, but I like the idea of a bigger screen.
A retired Admin/Mod

NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I never owned an eReader (gasp) until I started reviewing for the bookclub.

Previously, as an editor, I always accepted word processor documents so never had a need for a reader.

I rewarded myself after my first month's payments from OBC with an Oasis and I really love it!

I have nothing to compare it to though since I never used a previous version but I'd be happy to field questions if anyone is considering it (on a sale day :lol2: )

Reading other's comments makes me wonder if I didn't need to splurge on the newest edition? I suppose I'm happy with it just the same! :shifty:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
gali

Post by gali »

NL Hartje wrote: 05 May 2018, 22:22 I never owned an eReader (gasp) until I started reviewing for the bookclub.

Previously, as an editor, I always accepted word processor documents so never had a need for a reader.

I rewarded myself after my first month's payments from OBC with an Oasis and I really love it!

I have nothing to compare it to though since I never used a previous version but I'd be happy to field questions if anyone is considering it (on a sale day :lol2: )

Reading other's comments makes me wonder if I didn't need to splurge on the newest edition? I suppose I'm happy with it just the same! :shifty:
I bought it too and I love it! It is much better than the others. Enjoy! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Shaggy-Reads
Currently Reading: Bound in Flames
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaggy-reads.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Shaggy-Reads »

As of right now that will be a no for me. I enjoy my fire and what it can’t do my cell handles well; iPhone. We have an online school student so we have to utilize Microsoft office for many assignments and so far that isn’t helpful with a fire. I can’t see oasis changing that so I will stick to what works.
amypattenaude
Favorite Author: Deborah Harkness
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 20
fav_author_id: 2676

Post by amypattenaude »

gali wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 08:15
kandscreeley wrote:I probably won't get it then. My husband has a kindle fire and he enjoys it, but I use my tablet for a lot more than just reading. I don't like how limited Amazon is as far as apps and things. I like more of an android tablet. Course I don't know much about the Oasis verses Kindle Fire anyway.
An e-reader is different from a tablet and gives a better reading experience. I have a kindle and like it, but I like the idea of a bigger screen.
But how would all that compare with Kindles of old? My main concerns are the lighting, the screen appearance, the colors, touchscreen, etc... all the things that make a tablet or Fire fun to play with, irritate me on a reader without having the option to turn them off. I don't want to worry about where my fingers land while I am holding it in fear of flipping pages. I don't want it to glare with the slightest hint of external light. I don't want it to be bright like a computer screen there by causing extreme pain for my eyes and effectively ending all late night reading marathons. What is the closest thing that you can buy these days that is similar to the old Kindle? And I am probably not exaggerating when I say I think it's a second edition kindle. :o
gali

Post by gali »

amypattenaude wrote: 16 May 2018, 00:10
But how would all that compare with Kindles of old? My main concerns are the lighting, the screen appearance, the colors, touchscreen, etc... all the things that make a tablet or Fire fun to play with, irritate me on a reader without having the option to turn them off. I don't want to worry about where my fingers land while I am holding it in fear of flipping pages. I don't want it to glare with the slightest hint of external light. I don't want it to be bright like a computer screen there by causing extreme pain for my eyes and effectively ending all late night reading marathons. What is the closest thing that you can buy these days that is similar to the old Kindle? And I am probably not exaggerating when I say I think it's a second edition kindle. :o
I have older versions (kindle touch and Oasis 1). The new Oasis is much better and doesn't have a glare, nor does it hurt the eyes.
A retired Admin/Mod

amypattenaude

Post by amypattenaude »

gali wrote: 16 May 2018, 00:32
amypattenaude wrote: 16 May 2018, 00:10

I have older versions (kindle touch and Oasis 1). The new Oasis is much better and doesn't have a glare, nor does it hurt the eyes.
lol i didn't even know what the Oasis was until I tried to find out what generation my kindle was! I have had it since 2011! If they all last that long then I won't mind the day I finally have to buy a new one!
VictoriaRR23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by VictoriaRR23 »

:tiphat: I started with one of the first kindles (the one with the large button at the bottom, not sure about generation) I then went on to the paper white and just treated myself to the new Oasis and I am utterly in love! I've never experience any difficulty in reading the screen in any lighting conditions, it's incredibly light, the dual touch screen and side buttons to turn pages work seamlessly and its not a bad battery life. I purely brought it for the fact it's waterproof as I love reading in the bath or pool but I love all the features. The only part I don't use is the audiobook feature as I don't really enjoy audiobooks but apart from that I would 100%recommend it. :wine:
amypattenaude

Post by amypattenaude »

VictoriaRR23 wrote: 29 May 2018, 18:35 :tiphat: I started with one of the first kindles (the one with the large button at the bottom, not sure about generation) I then went on to the paper white and just treated myself to the new Oasis and I am utterly in love! I've never experience any difficulty in reading the screen in any lighting conditions, it's incredibly light, the dual touch screen and side buttons to turn pages work seamlessly and its not a bad battery life. I purely brought it for the fact it's waterproof as I love reading in the bath or pool but I love all the features. The only part I don't use is the audiobook feature as I don't really enjoy audiobooks but apart from that I would 100%recommend it. :wine:
I have had the same Kindle since 2010, but waterproof you say? I may not be quite as sad when this one dies after all!
VictoriaRR23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by VictoriaRR23 »

Yep it's waterproof, a fact i have tested after putting it both in the bath and hot tub. Obviously you still have to be careful but it's a great feature.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I like the idea of having a waterproof e-reader! Or, perhaps it being coffeproof might be more important, in my case. :lol:

I don't think I will upgrade. I have a Fire, and it works very well for what I need. I don't need to spend that extra money right now. However, if I am able, I don't see being without an e-reader. I love the convenience!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”