Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved)

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved)

Post by labibliofile »

1. I've tried Option 1.
2. There is no error, I simply can't see the file in my Kindle app.
3. Redmi Y2
4. No
5. There is no separate folder which is a book directory. I first tried pasting the file to the kindle folder in the file manager, when that did not work I pasted the file to a folder named com.amazon.kindle which again had a folder named files, there are several folders in this folder which I'm assuming belongs to the books in my library as some folders are affixed by sample and others are just a random combinaion of letters and numbers. However, all the folder named start with B0 except for the folders that seem to contain information about my account.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

I got the issue solved there was a folder named books that was outside the Kindle folder and now I can view it on Kindle. I had tried that earlier also but it did not work but now it is working so I can read it. However, I had reported an error and now I'm unable to update the status.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

I don't have kindle unlimited app. what should I do to download the book for review?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

sri varshini303041 wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 02:17 I don't have kindle unlimited app. what should I do to download the book for review?
If you have already picked the book in the kindle unlimited format, it can't be changed. You need to quit it via your Update tab.

You should update your Presences and choose only formats you are able to download and read.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Post by gali »

labibliofile wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 00:07 I got the issue solved there was a folder named books that was outside the Kindle folder and now I can view it on Kindle. I had tried that earlier also but it did not work but now it is working so I can read it. However, I had reported an error and now I'm unable to update the status.
If you don't have an Update tab, you probably were removed from the review.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Phirmi
Currently Reading: The Daniel Fast
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Phirmi »

The file is a mobile file and after downloading the file it will not open in the Kindle app on my my smartphone. Whenever I try I get an error message saying there isn't an application available to open the file. I even reinstalled the Kindle app.
gali

Post by gali »

Phirmi wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 11:01 The file is a mobile file and after downloading the file it will not open in the Kindle app on my my smartphone. Whenever I try I get an error message saying there isn't an application available to open the file. I even reinstalled the Kindle app.
Do you mean Mobi? If you do, you should report it via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

gali wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 03:16
labibliofile wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 00:07 I got the issue solved there was a folder named books that was outside the Kindle folder and now I can view it on Kindle. I had tried that earlier also but it did not work but now it is working so I can read it. However, I had reported an error and now I'm unable to update the status.
Yeah, that's what happened, but then does that mean whenever you report an error, you're removed from the review?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

labibliofile wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 22:21
Yeah, that's what happened, but then does that mean whenever you report an error, you're removed from the review?
Depending on the reason for the error report.
Reports asking for another copy shouldn't remove you from the review, but instances where the member cannot download the book for some reason/the book is unavailable/the error report is not clear, will often result in the book being removed. :tiphat:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

Gravy wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 23:33
labibliofile wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 22:21

Depending on the reason for the error report.
Reports asking for another copy shouldn't remove you from the review, but instances where the member cannot download the book for some reason/the book is unavailable/the error report is not clear, will often result in the book being removed. :tiphat:
Okay that explains it then, thank you for the help!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

:tiphat:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Udochee_Tochee
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Udochee_Tochee »

So I went on Amazon, and I successfully added the book to my list, and I use an android phone. I downloaded the Kindle app, but I still can't access the book. It shows on my list, but I can't open it no matter how or what I try. Another problem I gave is the country I live in. I stay in Nigeria, so I run out of data a lot. At the moment I don't have data, so working is kinda difficult until I re-subscribe. But I would like the issue of the book not being able to open to be looked at. Thank you
gali

Post by gali »

Udochee_Tochee wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 06:35 So I went on Amazon, and I successfully added the book to my list, and I use an android phone. I downloaded the Kindle app, but I still can't access the book. It shows on my list, but I can't open it no matter how or what I try. Another problem I gave is the country I live in. I stay in Nigeria, so I run out of data a lot. At the moment I don't have data, so working is kinda difficult until I re-subscribe. But I would like the issue of the book not being able to open to be looked at. Thank you
It may be due to your location. You should submit an error report about it via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Phirmi
Currently Reading: The Daniel Fast
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Phirmi »

I have never tried to open a .mobi file before. I am using the Moto E4 plus. The error message says cannot find an application to perform this action. I have found the file under "My Files" but I cannot get it to copy to the "Kindle" file.
RFK1903
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RFK1903 »

I have a Huawei and am trying to open a mobi file. I already have a Kindle app but it won't open. I will try and move to a directory on my laptop but it will have to wait till this evening.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”