Why do I Feel Alienated When Reading an E-Book?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Why do I Feel Alienated When Reading an E-Book?

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

I started reading e-books just recently. But I feel alienated; separated from the story. The whole thing looks artificial to me and my concentration is light. Please, what do you think I should do to increase my participation and concentration?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

What device do you use? I suggest to read the ebooks on Ereaders such as Kindle, as it enhances the reading experience.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Skye Rathke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skye-rathke.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary by Teddy konickson

Post by Skye Rathke »

Hm. I'll admit I've never had this issue with reading via ereader. But, I can agree that something like a kindle gives a different lighting experience and it can be nice. I would play with the settings of whatever app you're using - I had better luck reading in the amazon app on my phone in dark mode, for example. Using built in tools to bookmark and leave notes for yourself is a good way of doing it, too, in my opinion.

E-Reading may not be for everyone, but I would certainly agree that a few different apps, or if you can try a dedicated device (maybe if a friend has an old one, for example, rather than spending money on something you might not like) then it could be worth it to keep trying.
Marie Joy
Currently Reading: The Story of my life; with her letters
Bookshelf Size: 579
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-joy_2592945.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green
Reading Device: B07GRSK3HC

Post by Marie Joy »

If you're using an e-reader, I've found that a good case can help a lot. I bought a fake leather case for my Kindle Oasis that's a little thicker than the official case, and even though it adds some bulk, the soft cushiness of the case makes it feel less like I'm holding just another electronic device and more like I'm holding...well, a book! It also protects the Kindle well when I inevitably drop it onto the ground multiple times a week, haha!
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

I read most of my books on a kindle reader (or use the kindle app on my phone). I think I have been doing it for so long that the experience of my reader doesn’t phase me. Like a previous poster stated, I would recommend getting a nice case to hold your reader which can make it more comfortable and enjoyable. I also frequently change the lighting, background color, and font (size and style) to keep me from getting fatigued since I read so much. Hope this helps!
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”