Best Kindle to buy strictly for reading?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
rei_sawakami
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rei-sawakami.html

Best Kindle to buy strictly for reading?

Post by rei_sawakami »

Hi everyone,

I've recently appeared on the scene here and I was thinking about getting a Kindle to read all the new books I've discovered along the way, and I was wondering: if I'm only going to use it to read, what's the best Kindle to get?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have the kindle touch and happy with it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Paladin8

Post by Paladin8 »

If it's only for reading, I would say to get the least expensive, like the Paperwhite. Why pay for features that you aren't going to use ? The Fire, and other more expensive ones will let you do things you can do on your computer. I like the Paperwhite because, like you, I only use it for reading. It's also small and easily portable. Also, unlike the very cheapest, it will let me adjust the light, and thus read in the dark !
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

I would get the paperwhite, if you're only going to read on it.
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

I am not familiar with the paper white, but I have a kindle with 3G. Only for reading. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Because of the 3G I can search Amazon and download anywhere, anytime, no charge. And no WiFi connection needed. It is worth whatever the extra cost is to save the fees to have wireless.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
Abigailhixson93

Post by Abigailhixson93 »

The paperwhite is the best for strictly reading
luvmybooks619
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luvmybooks619.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by luvmybooks619 »

I also agree that the Paperwhite is the best Kindle to buy if it is strictly being used for reading purposes. I have the Kindle Fire and I love it, but if I didn't own a Kindle already, I would have certainly purchased the Paperwhite for reading purposes! Good Luck!!
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

I have the touch and the paperwhite. I personally prefer the paperwhit for reading purposes. Great at night, doesn't hurt your eyes, and stays charged longer than the others.
GBPhoenix17
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Ashes
Currently Reading: City of Lost Souls
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gbphoenix17.html
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by GBPhoenix17 »

I agree with the Paperwhite, and look into the 3G version, it's going to be a little more expensive but definitely worth it as you will be able to get books from practically anywhere. Other versions like the Kindle Fire are great but you have to pay more as it is more of a tablet than an e-reader.
plasticfaery

Post by plasticfaery »

I got the old one -- not the one with a full keyboard but with control buttons along the bottom. It's great for just reading but I do regret not getting a newer one because I do actually like it and now would have to drop the $$$ again to be more current while being stuck with a fossil of an e-reader. So even if you just want to read, that's worth considering :(
cmarie1
Favorite Author: Maya Angelou
Favorite Book: I know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Currently Reading: Men Cry In The Dark
fav_author_id: 2478

Post by cmarie1 »

Hello Everyone, I just joined the group today and am feeling my way around the site. To answer the question I have a Kindle Fire HD and I love it. I use it for reading, and internet use. I can download ebooks straight from Amazon.

My mother has a Kindle but that one is strickly for reading ebooks. She doesn't use it often so I can't really tell you how that one works.
Pwyrdan
Favorite Author: Susanna Clarke
Favorite Book: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Currently Reading: The Fall of Arthur by J. R. R. Tolkien
fav_author_id: 15707

Post by Pwyrdan »

I have a plain Kindle 6", and it downloads way faster than my son's Kindle Fire HD, and is easier to handle, being smaller! I prefer mine, especially since I'm always fighting with touch screens. But if I ever have to replace it, I may get the one with a keyboard, because it takes forever to "type" anything on the website by going up, down, right, and left with arrow buttons to select letters. But if price is a consideration, the plain Kindle is also the cheapest, at $60 -70.
Athertle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athertle.html

Post by Athertle »

I know this has been repeated a bit above, but just for emphasis, I'd go with the Kindle Paperwhite.

It is (quite simply) an amazing reader that has a screen that has a "next-gen built-in light" so that you can read without your eyes starting to hurt. It's the best e-Reader on the market right now (maybe a bit arguable) if you want to be able to read for weeks without it running out of battery.
Jawds1995

Post by Jawds1995 »

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and I think it's great. I only wanted mine for reading (as I already have a tablet) and it is doing it's job perfectly. It has wi-fi so I can download and purchase new books, and it has a too quality back light so you can read with no glare day or night. I would definitely recommend it, especially for it's price.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

I got the Kindle Touch back in '11,and love it,but I don't think it's still available.If the Paperwhite was available then it would have been the one,so definitely yes,the Paperwhite.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”