Best Kindle to buy strictly for reading?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
dunappy
Favorite Author: N.R. Walker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Soaring Hearts</a>
Currently Reading: Dreams of the Forgotten (Sumeria's Sons, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 4294
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 35683

Re: Best Kindle to buy strictly for reading?

Post by dunappy »

It really depends on if you have easy access to wi-fi or not. I have to get one with the 3g because I live in the boonies and there isn't any wi-fi available. I hate driving 30 miles one way just to access a wi-fi hotspot to download books. If wi-fi isn't an issue, then either one will work, unless you then want text to speech functionality also. I use mine with text to speech while driving to and from work. So there are a lot of factors to take into account before deciding which one will work best.
BarefootBookworm
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barefootbookworm.html

Post by BarefootBookworm »

I got the Kindle touch several years ago (I think the paperwhite is the most similar now) after some research. I'm quite the avid reader, and wanted something with max battery and storage capacity, not too much $$, and a screen that would read like paper, even in sunlight glare. Hammock or poolside reading, anyone? My Kindle touch is still going strong. Battery usually lasts 1-2 months, even with several hrs of reading a day, and I think storage capacity is a few thousand books. Highly recommend!
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I have been considering getting a Kindle, and based on the comments I have read here, it seems like I might enjoy the paperwhite Kindle the best. I definitely want the least expensive and one that is specifically for reading. I don't see the purpose in paying for features that I can get on my ipod, phone, or computer.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
KPRUITT13_
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kpruitt13.html

Post by KPRUITT13_ »

I would say the best for reading purposes would be the kindle paperwhite. Especially if you like to read at night.
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

I went with Kindle because it gave me the best access to books I enjoy reading. I have the Kindle Paperwhite now and the Kindle Voyage. I bought the Voyage without ever seeing one. Now that I have, I don't think it's worth the $80 difference over the Paperwhite. The light on the Voyage is brighter and that's a plus. The buttons to turn pages don't interest me and the smaller, thinner device is a negative for me with my old arthritic hands. The glass cover straight across on the Voyage is a plus. The Amazon Kindle Voyage Origami cover was, to me, a joke. Cutesy but not usable. The Paperwhite is a better size for me, the light isn't as bright but it's adequate, the Amazon Kindle Cover is great, and it's $80 cheaper than the Paperwhite.

But, it really is a matter of personal preference.
Charlotte_danielle
Currently Reading: The Pillars of the Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-danielle.html

Post by Charlotte_danielle »

I have the kindle paperwhite. Definitely worth it, especially if you only want to read on it
EmmaBear91
Currently Reading: Parasite
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmabear91.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by EmmaBear91 »

If you are going to use it 100% for reading you should go with either the original kindle or the paperwhite. They are both the perfect size to transport comfortably. The only difference I'm aware of is the the paperwhite is backlit whereas the original kindle you will need a book light if you wish to read it in the dark.
kayper
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Fox flight lightfall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayper.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by kayper »

I like the kindle paperwhite
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I have a paperwhite, but now wish that I had purchased the Voyage. They are about the same, but the Voyage automatically adjusts to different lighting. A small thing, but to me would be worth it.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

Thanks so much for the info! Can anyone tell me the cons and pro of a Kindle vs. and Nook? I would really appreciate it.
Savoryhoneyham
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savoryhoneyham.html

Post by Savoryhoneyham »

For strictly reading the kindle paperwhite is fine and not overly expensive. However, I have mixed feelings about recommending it since mine has recently lost its ability to have new books put on it. Memory isn't full, it hasn't been dropped, and I can see the book files in the kindle folder when it is plugged into my computer but they never appear when I try to open them in the actual kindle. Can't seem to find a solution and I ended up just using the kindle app on my phone.

If you have a smart phone, you can always just use the free app.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

I vary between a standard Kindle (but with a keyboard) and my kindle app on my nice big tablet. Just depends what I am reading and how long for.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I just bought myself the kindle voyage as a Christmas gift to myself. It is Amazon's most expensive reader, but so far I can see why. It has the same screen lighting that paperwhite does, but now it can be adjusted manually or automatically. The device is noticeably lighter, and the fonts are clearer. My favorite thing may be the ability to use either the page forward and back buttons, or regular touchscreen for page turns. I also recommend the Fintie Vintage Voyage cover. Makes the device feel like a book, and fits so you can easily find those page turn buttons in a dark environment.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
crazyrussianmaria
Favorite Author: Margaret Mitchell
Currently Reading: Unearthly
Bookshelf Size: 414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyrussianmaria.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2998

Post by crazyrussianmaria »

I only have the Kindle Paper White but I love it. It's very much like an actual book and even the feel of it makes me feel like I'm reading an actual paper book. Also, it can light up so you can read in dark surroundings which is really helpful if you can't put a book down. And it's only for reading which I also love.
"You still think love can save us. It's more killing than hate. Hate is so clean, so simple, like being in the ring. With hate, you just keep hitting; you hit until they stop hitting back. With love, they never stop."--- Colleen McCullough
tnc08
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tnc08.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 281

Post by tnc08 »

I don't know about the paperwhite, but I have a kindle fire and only ever use it for reading. I love it

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”