Overall rating and opinion of "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for" by Ken Rusk

Use this forum to discuss the November 2022 Book of the Month, "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=495665

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for" by Ken

Post by Tosin Le »

This book was an eye-opening one. Finding joy and happiness in the work that we do should be learned; this was the aspect of the book that intrigued me. I dislike any aspect. The non-fiction genre must have been incorporated into it. Self-help book readers would definitely love it.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

This book was a masterpiece. The fact that it emphasized the importance of finding joy in the work that we do makes me more endeared to it. I dislike any aspect. The non-fiction genre must have been incorporated into it. Readers of self-help books would love it.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Cristina Corui Mihailescu wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 08:33 I have sampled the book yesterday. I say sampled only because I have been obsessed with university studies ever since I was a little girl. I knew that blue-collar jobs were not for me. I have always loved reading and learning from books, not doing things. I have been a teacher for...ages, and now I consider such a book very useful in my job. Teenagers should be advised to do what suits them best. If they find pleasure in physical work, it is no less rewarding than a white-collar job. The book is very interesting for parents and teenagers as well, I will recommend it to my students.
I would say even if you are a white collar person, just sampling this book isn’t enough. There are so many useful concepts in this book that apply to both blue and white collar workers - just to people in general - about how we choose to live our lives and what we make of it. The concept of the 5 gallon buckets and the death clock are just two of things that can change your mindset about your life. Life visions and making a plan to achieve your goals is another.

I am a uni graduate and white collar worker, but this book’s concepts apply just as much to us. I urge you to give it a full chance.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

AvishaJain_13 wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 03:48 I loved the concept of this book, in this day and age it is hard to find new and refreshing topics that actually matter. It has begun to feel like every work of art is recycled but this book felt very original. I love how such a simple titled book and cover such complex topics. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
I completely agree with you. Whether the ideas were really fresh, or it was just a fresh way of looking at them, it really struck a chord with me. I recommend it to anyone, not just blue collar.
Stacey Harkins 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacey-harkins-1.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Stacey Harkins 1 »

I have not read this book yet. But congrats to the author for BOTM!
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

As far as self-help books go, I think this one is great; I rate it 4 out of 4 stars! There's much to like about the book, many ideas I agreed with and could relate to. And Rusk's writing style is so engaging and easy to understand (he's fond of definitions!). What I liked most was the author's main point that one does not have to have a college degree in order to have a successful life and career. I liked that he backed up this position with real-life stories and experiences, his and other people's. The list of people who made it without a diploma or degree was quite encouraging. Blue-Collar Cash (an apt title, by the way) has so many valuable lessons. You see, not only does it cover how one can earn a living outside of going to college or university, it equips the reader with goal setting techniques, which are very important if one hopes to get anything done. And the portions about winning character traits and good habits are gems.

I noticed that others mentioned that the book is focused on the USA. I did remark that for myself, but it really didn't bother me. I think the whole concept of the book could be applied to nearly anyone, regardless of your location/country. It's about working with your hands; you can do that just about anywhere. And I say that as someone who has lived in at least two countries, USA not included.

All in all, I loved the book; I have nothing negative to say about it. I would definitely recommend it to others, particularly those considering a college degree, have just finished, or are simply looking for some direction in life.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I love how many anecdotes the author uses to deliver his point regarding different aspects of how to approach life. It gave it a personal touch and kept me invested throughout the book!!
Stacey Harkins 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacey-harkins-1.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Stacey Harkins 1 »

I had not considered reading this book, but after all the high praise you all are giving it I believe I may try it out! Thanks! :tiphat:
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Post by Christell Lindeque »

The author tries to get the reader to work to live and not live to work. He also tries to make blue-collar jobs sound more appealing in the 20th century and that degrees and education are not needed anymore to make your dreams come true. He also says that he a person can make it big without college and he gives advice in this book on how to achieve this. This book isn't for me though but I find it is a must-read for people who find themselves in a situation where they have no college degrees but have dreams to follow.
Francis Odhiambo Comorenos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-odhiambo-comorenos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Francis Odhiambo Comorenos »

I really enjoyed reading this book. It encompasses the beauty of the blue-collar world that most people look down on. As the writer puts it, your journey to comfort, peace, and financial freedom will begin with having power over your mind (setting a positive mindset), and then setting your goals and following the right path.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I do not usually like how-to books, which I thought this would be. I was wrong and loved this book. The author takes pride in his methods of success and portrays that positivity throughout this book. I learned a few tips and tricks and I will incorporate them into my mindset.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: The Shade of Highfall by Mark O'Dell

Post by Ruka N »

AvishaJain_13 wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 03:48 I loved the concept of this book, in this day and age it is hard to find new and refreshing topics that actually matter. It has begun to feel like every work of art is recycled but this book felt very original. I love how such a simple titled book and cover such complex topics. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
Very well said! I couldnt have said it better!
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: The Shade of Highfall by Mark O'Dell

Post by Ruka N »

Christell Lindeque wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 12:18 The author tries to get the reader to work to live and not live to work. He also tries to make blue-collar jobs sound more appealing in the 20th century and that degrees and education are not needed anymore to make your dreams come true. He also says that he a person can make it big without college and he gives advice in this book on how to achieve this. This book isn't for me though but I find it is a must-read for people who find themselves in a situation where they have no college degrees but have dreams to follow.
Yes, this is one of the best parts about this book!
Hannah Hampton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-hampton.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Knowledge by Terence H.Young

Post by Hannah Hampton »

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and have even recommended it. As a college student who is passionate about their studies, this book still gave me invaluable insight into the blue-collar workforce and its history and impact in America. This book also contains a lot of financial advice, which is useful no matter which industry you work in.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I do love the idea of this book! In the older time, the norm and tradition were that you WILL go to college after school so you can get a good job afterward. In today's era, technology is already so far advanced that there are online courses and classes for literally anything you would like to do or learn more about, plus a lot of them you can get for free as well. There are also a lot of companies that are giving people chances to learn the work at the company or employing people that only have experience and no degree. It is more than possible to create a successful and financially comfortable life without having gone to college. I enjoy all the positive and negative aspects of the book and I can't say there is anything I disliked. I would definitely give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Discuss "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk"”