What do you think about the love Steve and Roxy had? It is healthy or toxic love?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Black Gem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-gem.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: What do you think about the love Steve and Roxy had? It is healthy or toxic love?

Post by Black Gem »

I won't use the word toxic for their relationship, but the gap in communication between them was and is actually unhealthy for any relationship.
Uriel David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uriel-david.html

Post by Uriel David »

Syaida_Iwani wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 11:10 For me, the love between Steve and Roxy was not healthy because they both lack of communication, trust and honesty in their relationship.

There was one time where Steve didn't tell about his works as a police officer and that already gave a crack to their relationship. Both of them seemed to push each other away that leads to more heartbreak.
It seems good at the beginning, although it is Steve who makes the effort and sacrifices. He chooses not to go to law school in order to stay with Roxy. He also accompanies her to visit her mother. I am still reading the book and so far I haven't seen Roxy sacrificing for Steve. Their relationship is not healthy.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I would say yes. Roxy knew how far Steve would go to show his love for her and she abused it while putting everything he believed in in jeopardy.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

Steve and Roxy's love is a type of love that portends toxicity. Initially, communication is efficient, and this can be pointing to damages looming, as it means some things are hidden away from each other.
Chris Don Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-don-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chris Don Nwaka »

I've always wondered if Roxy actually loves Steve because I don't believe that kind of love is healthy. I noticed how distant they were growing as I read the book, and I predicted that it may lead to cheating—and it did. When I got to the section where Roxy was discovered in bed with Cal, I felt disgusted. I was very irate.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

A love that has loops is toxic, no matter what. Steve's absence and work was just an excuse for Roxy and she even cheated, that's bad
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

The love between Roxy and Steve was hectic and unhealthy because Steve was willing to sacrifice his career to please Roxy, which is not good. A relationship should be both partners helping each other.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
James Fx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-fx.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by James Fx »

To me, it’s toxic. At some point, i wished they could have just broken up. If I can remember right, Roxy cheated on Steve. So, it’s not in any way healthy.
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Online Concept »

I think their love is toxic because Steve had to delay his dream and pursuit to get into law school just so he could stay with Roxy.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I would say the relationship is toxic. The level of commitment was one sided. Steve would do everything with the approval of Roxy. Roxy on the other hand seems not to care about Steve's opinion in anything she does. So yes their relationship was toxic .
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

The love between Steve and Roxy was not healthy nor toxic, at a point, there was a lack of communication and trust between the two of them creating a distance between them, regardless of all these lapses, Steve still cares for Roxy's safety.
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

That was a toxic love right there. It’s pretty obvious. If I could remember well, I think she cheated on him once. Then why did they still get back together? It was crazy.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

Yes I agree with you, Steve and Roxy's relationship was not healthy because they both lack of communication, trust and honesty in their relationship.
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

The love between Steve and Roxy was not healthy, there was a lack of communication and trust between them, which resulted in cheating. So I would say that their love is toxic.
Chris Don Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-don-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chris Don Nwaka »

Due to the fact that Roxy and Steve shared a clear vision for the future, I will say their love was healthy. However, things changed when Steve made the decision to join the police for the sake of his nation. To my mind. for you to fight for change or total freedom you must have a lot to sacrifice. Giving up was necessary for meaningful change. For the sake of his country, I believe Steve had to put Roxy's relationship on the line because Roxy was becoming a discouragement to him.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”