Was Roxy's behavior justified?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Re: Was Roxy's behavior justified?

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

No. Granted, she didn't know how demanding Steve's job would be before he started, she did not support him afterwards because it didn't suit her needs. She was a very selfish character who only looked out for herself and that's well and good, if you're single. But she did not make her decisions with the consideration of Steve. I felt bad for Steve, he loved Roxy and probably would have supported her if the roles were reversed.
Ochieng Stephen Owino
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-stephen-owino.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Ochieng Stephen Owino »

Her actions were not justified. Truthfully, as I read the book, I began to loathe Roxy for how she was handling the poor man. If I was in her position, I would stay with the man. He joined the force for me...I bet that is true love.
Ruqayyah Rafeeq
Favorite Book: Before the Coffee Gets Cold
Currently Reading: The Fine Print
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruqayyah-rafeeq.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ruqayyah Rafeeq »

Honestly, I had such high hopes for them as a couple. At the beginning of the book, you knew that they were eventually going to go through hardships together. She literally said that he was the only one she could rely on, then goes and sleeps with his friend once things get rough! She didn't consider him, she was laughing in bed with his friend not caring at all what he was doing for her and for the rest of society.
Ruqayyah Rafeeq
Favorite Book: Before the Coffee Gets Cold
Currently Reading: The Fine Print
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruqayyah-rafeeq.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ruqayyah Rafeeq »

Honestly, I wish he left her in the past where she belongs, and I wish that he never looked back. He shouldn't hold on to his past with her, I say he should let her go.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

I think Roxy represents the "hippie nation" the older generation hated in the book. She showed very selfish characteristics and was focused on herself throughout the book. She was full of 'rhetoric and banners' but no action. Sure, she was trying to become a doctor to help save the world, but she was missing what was happening in the present. I struggled with her. I felt for Steve dealing with so much isolation and controversy.
Joy Baridi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-baridi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Joy Baridi »

What Roxy did is not justifiable. I cannot imagine the pain Steve felt when she left. If I were Steve, I would move on with my life. There is no need chasing someone who did not want to stay.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

Sometimes I wonder if people have conscience, I don't think she should be pardoned for any reason. She did not deserve it. This part really made me angry while reading the book.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

Overall, I think Roxy was quite selfish in the relationship she shared with Steve. It seemed her "love" for Steve was premised on his continuous devotion to the anti-establishment movement. This is a bit understandable since most people prefer partners they share the same political opinions with. However, it also does not make it seem to me that Steve really joined the police force because he wanted to bring change but because he wanted to be there for and to please Roxy whose being revolved around social justice.

Given that Steve joined the force because of Roxy, indeed she should have supported him, however, her emotional dependence on Steve since the inception of the relationship may show that she was not in fact ready for any such role since she was quite self-absorbed.

Roxy seemed to want Steve to be perfect, without considering any special circumstances he was in or his personal needs. Their relationship from the beginning has always been based Steve being there for her and not the other way round because Roxy needed healing. It in a way, justifies Roxy's failure to be a reliable source of support. But to answer the question, if I were in Steve's position, I would have first of all picked law school over Roxy and the police force.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I think that Roxy should have stood by Steve through thick and thin. She did encourage him by making him believe that she would stand by him. So she should have supported him no matter what. If I was Steve, I would be very upset and disappointed. I would feel betrayed.
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Post by Danielle Briggs »

I do not think Roxy's behavior was justified at all! Steve could have went to law school and stated multiple times that he would have if it wasn't for her, so he looked for an alternative career while she finished school. She supported him joining the police force, knowing all that it entails, but once he was actually an officer, she acted like it was all a surprise. I understand her frustration with his drinking and coming home crazy late since she was still trying to study, but that does not justify all that she did to him.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

This is a difficult question though it seems simple enough. Supporting Steve, in the beginning, shows a willingness to do the right despite the consequences. As such, I wouldn't judge her so harshly for bailing on him. People have different stress-allowance capacity.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think Roxy bears the responsibility for Steve’s decisions. I don’t think that she should have been one of the main reasons for it anyway. It puts a lot of pressure on her. Everyone is ultimately responsible for their own happiness, not that of others.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

I know that Steve's work makes it unable for him to be constantly there for Roxy, yet, her actions can never be justified. Owning to the fact that Steve made his decision to stay close to her.
Divine Treasure
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divine-treasure_3577866.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Divine Treasure »

I don't think her actions were justified. I come from a home where my mum and dad stand by each other no matter how challenging the situation is. We were taught to do the same. She supported him to join the police force and bailed on him when there was a challenge.
If I were to be Steve, I will never forgive her.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

This made me think of Roxy as selfish. She supports Steve's decision to go into the police force because it ment he wouldn't leave her. Then when his job wasn't convenient for her she bails. But then he saves her from jail and she is back on the Steve wagon. He deserved better support from her.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”