Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Re: Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

Steve tried to change the system. But if there is anything I have learned in life, it is that one man cannot change an entire system. However, just like one three bears fruit which then produce seeds that can be planted, his actions may inspire others to do the same. But a tough thing to do.
Ivan Mukaaga
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-mukaaga.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ivan Mukaaga »

Quitting is not the right thing. It’s better to keep trying but it is also good not to be very optimistic about people’s response because in the end you will be disappointed.People love corruption because it earns them quick money, so, it takes a disciplined heart and mind to say no it.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I don't think that a single person can stop corruption in an organization by themselves. They can be the first one to acknowledge that there is something wrong and to bring it up to others who can help them stop corruption. It might take years for anyone to listen, agree, and want to help make a change. That one person can be the start of change by just being aware that something is not right and change is necessary. It is intimidating to be that first person to speak up and go against an entire organization. It takes courage and energy to want to sacrifice yourself for the benefit of the whole. Steve feels conflicted about being the first person to speak out against the corrupt police department and confides in Bill about worrying that if he goes against all of the corrupt cops then it could destroy his life.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I believe one person can make small differences but this was a huge fight to go against alone. Had Steve had a better support system I believe he could have made more of a difference and maybe even enjoyed the job once the corrupt system got busted and change started to take place.
Judy knight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-knight.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Judy knight »

I don't think a single person can do it all by himself. I think he needs the help of people who also have the same goals. Although,.a single person can inspire other people to do the right thing.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

Steve stood for what he believed in, and I think that should be the question. As an individual, all you can do is choose integrity, if everyone did that then we'd probably eliminate this menace. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks that way, making it harder to progress.
Joanne Ike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanne-ike.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Joanne Ike »

While it is definitely admirable to try to take on corruption alone, without reliable support, the effort likely won't go far.
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

Steve is on the right track and his heart is in the right place. But one person cannot change an big organization. However, it is still important that he tries and plants that seed.
Rebecca Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-review.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rebecca Review »

Effecting change to a whole organization would nearly be impossible by one man.
Steve needed other people also, that he could trust and was ready to stop the corruption with him.
Abeke Sara Muturyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abeke-sara-muturyo.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Abeke Sara Muturyo »

Yes. A single person can stop corruption. It is not that that person will singlehandedly do it. He can bring up and train people that think just like him and his ideals will be preached from one household to the other. Before you know it, most people will see his way as the right way and corruption will stop. This is what I believe. That person should never give up.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I don't think one person is able to stop corruption in the whole organization especially if everyone else is against him/her. In the book we see Steve struggling to find at least one cop to be on his side without success.
Emmanuel prince 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-prince-7.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Emmanuel prince 7 »

Leaving the system is just like running away from your problems which will definitely come back to you. So I think that even if a single person cannot stop corruption, running away shouldn't be the solution.
Chinedu Nwakaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedu-nwakaji.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Chinedu Nwakaji »

In my opinion, it may be possible to an extent but it won't be easy. When you are faced with fighting a whole lot of individuals with the same attitude, it would a miraculous intervention for you to win the battle.
Chinedu Nwakaji
Currently Reading:

In my opinion, it may be possible to an extent but it won't be easy. When you are faced with fighting a whole lot of individuals with the same attitude, it would a miraculous intervention for you to win the battle
Chinedu Nwakaji
Currently Reading:

If a single individual sets out to end corruption in an organisation, he would be faced with lots of opposition. In other words, it is not going to be a very easy task to embark upon.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”