Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
anne Irungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anne-irungu.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Re: Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Post by anne Irungu »

i think a single person can stop corruption. all it takes is courage and determination to do what is right. the rest will fall into place on their own.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

I don't think a single person can stop corruption in an organization. It's an organization where a lot of people work, and an organization has employees ranging from 50-100, so if everyone is corrupt in the organization, it's very impossible to change them. Yes, I agree the person will try to use his character or his behavior to change the corrupt mindset of the other employees but it will be extremely hard because once someone is gaining something from being corrupt, it changes the person entirely, so imagine if you are gaining a penny more for being corrupt and someone is trying to make you change and changing means you forgetting that penny. It's not possible.
If corruption has to end in an organization, we need more than a single person to do the job. Like in the case of the movie "Neulovimye", a group of young people united to fight corruption and protect innocent people. Emphasis on "a group". Still stating my point that it will take more than a single person to end corruption in an organization.
Alet Van Tonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alet-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Alet Van Tonder »

I would like to believe that one person can have a significant impact on an organisation/society and there are numerous examples of such people. However, I am not convinced that all individuals will succeed in their efforts to change a system.
Krispies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krispies.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Krispies »

No matter the amount of effort he put in, one man cannot wreak about change on a wide scale as he'd want. But then Again, the change begins with a single man before the others join in.
Claire Twy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Victoria Ukamaka wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 05:15 Steve tried to do the right things and to make his colleagues do the right things at work. But he is a one-man-squad and his efforts are being frustrated. His life and job were even being threatened. In a case like this, do you think the person should just leave the system? Or can a single person stop the corruption in such a huge organization?
One has to have immense perseverance and resilience because it will be an uphill battle. I think it is possible with determination and grit, but one must be prepared for endless challenges.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I don't think any individual can stop corruption by themselves. The best they could do is try to raise awareness and make people understand that corruption actually affects their own lives. I've heard someone said that it often takes a second person who agrees with you to execute your idea, and I think it's true in this case.
Comfort Ansah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort-ansah.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Comfort Ansah »

It is very difficult for a single person to stop corruption in an organization as you will be up against many obstacles just like Steve. However, that should not change your perception and efforts to try and make a difference which might pay off at the end of the day.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

A single person can only try to the best of his ability, but at some point, he'll need to collective to buy into his vision and join him in demanding for a change.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I think one man cannot stop corruption. A joint of people can. When one man tries, like Steve did, bad things are bound to happen because everyone would be against that person. In a case like this, I think Steve should have walked away.
Fome Ewhe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fome-ewhe.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Fome Ewhe »

I believe there will be exceptions to my point. But I don't particularly believe one man can tackle corruption. There will be cases where one man could handle things, but we're human and need support, without that support things become extremely difficult. Steve was worn out cuz he seemed alone at times, his lover couldn't support him and I believe that if she did he would have felt better, to say the very least.
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

Nothing is impossible I think one person can change the system, that little change is a big thing is better than nothing.
Ivinky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivinky.html
Latest Review: Jake Miller by Billy Ray Williams

Post by Ivinky »

I don't think a single man can do it. Especially if corruption has eaten deep into the system. Steve wasn't alone, he reached out to persons.
Happy-Angel92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Happy-Angel92 »

In my opinion corruptions can entail alot of things and Steve is only one man just trying to do the right thing. With the right plan for a good cause and in time he can win the battle and show his work colleagues that what is doing is the the right way foward.
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

Yes, I believe a single person can stop corruption but it needs a lot of guts and sacrifice. Take for example Steve had to flee in fear of the consequences of his actions. I think it's more feasible for one to choose not to be corrupt and do right with the hope that some others will see the benefits and follow suit.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I think one person can be the start of a movement to stop corruption but they need a group of people to support them to achieve great changes.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”