Was Roxy's mother in a normal mental state?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Re: Was Roxy's mother in a normal mental state?

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I’m not sure if I would phrase it as mental illness, but her mental health is definitely impacted by her grief. The fact that all of her memories of what her daughter likes are actually not of Roxy but her sister, and a constant refusal to acknowledge this when Roxy points it out, is a strong indicator.
As part of the coping mechanism, Roxy’s mother has turned to the church but in an extremist sort of fashion. The church gives her stability and rules to follow, which Roxy has broken and results in her being thrown out. Her mother, having not dealt with her own issues, doesn’t see what that will do to Roxy.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

She might suffer some mental illness because confirming the death of her daughter will be painful.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

Absolutely, I thought that was very evident. She might be suffering the loss of her dead daughter, Audrey, and husband. There's only so much grief a person can take. And she may have been brought up deeply religious to the point where she deemed any behavior not in line with her religion as deviation from normal behavior.
Ruqayyah Rafeeq
Favorite Book: Before the Coffee Gets Cold
Currently Reading: The Fine Print
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruqayyah-rafeeq.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ruqayyah Rafeeq »

She definitely is. She lashed out at her daughter and on her daughter's boyfriend for no constructive reason. She keeps forgetting the difference between Roxy and her deceased daughter constantly. She did nothing that resembles a steady mental state, I'm sure she was suffering from some mental illness after her husband and daughter died.
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Post by Danielle Briggs »

I believe Roxy's mother was definitely suffering from still losing her other daughter and seeing Roxy probably reminded her of that, since I'm sure they had similar features. I don't think her sending her daughter out of her home was caused by this depression though, since pre-marital sex was seen as such a bad thing then, especially for religious groups.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

There is no telling what Roxy’s mother could be suffering from. All human actions emanate from a certain mental background. We are all selfish and love can be painful. The question is how painful is doing a particular good and how much pain can we tolerate?
Am Eso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-am-eso.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Am Eso »

Roxy's mother definitely wasn't in a normal mental state. I kept on wondering how a mother will send her only surviving child and family out of her house and be bothered about her return. I think she needed to seek for help and not she try to cover her issues up with godliness.
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

I feel Roxy's mother suffering from a mental health illness is quite obvious. Moreover, it doesn't start after Roxy's sister does, it starts much earlier when Roxy's sister is suffering from cancer. Her mental illness is depicted through her actions when she refuses to handle any of the issues regarding her sister's suffering. For example, she is reluctant to visit her in the hospital or take any medical decisions. I suppose losing her husband and then a child because too much to handle.
D Adebayo
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d-adebayo.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by D Adebayo »

I feel that rather than suffering from a mental illness she just was not ready to move on. The death of her husband affected her and then her favoured child dying after just made her want to remain in the past were everythung was still okay.
Judy knight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-knight.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Judy knight »

No I don't think Roxy's mother was in a normal mental state. I think that the death of her husband and daughter had a huge impact on her and affected her mental state.
Phunmee_02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phunmee-02.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Phunmee_02 »

Yes, I think the death of her husband and her favorite daughter was too much for her to bear so it resulted in her mental illness. Roxy mentioned that her mother wasn't able to visit the hospital, and she was the one who'll teach her mother what to ask and reply when she reached the hospital, so those are vivid signs.
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

Her over-religiousness and harsh treatment of Roxy were unsettling. I don't think she had any mental illness but the way she acted was just part of nature which she could change if she wanted to.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Maybe. Maybe just grief because of losing Audrey. Grief and loss can make you act in unsuspected ways. Also, parents were harsher back then, and Roxy's mom had a strong religious belief that bordered on fanaticism, which can also make you dismiss people who should be part of your life in the name of a higher power.
Perfect Ojonugwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-perfect-ojonugwa.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Perfect Ojonugwa »

Although she was in a normal mental condition, she didn't really love Roxy that much and was an excessively fervent Christian. I wasn't as shocked by her conduct because kicking your daughter out because she slept on your bed is a common occurrence in Africa.
Brown_Sucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brown-sucre.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out The Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 2 by Tom Wick

Post by Brown_Sucre »

Well, judging from the point of view of losing a child, I think her PTSD was extreme. Roxy was only a victim of transferred aggression.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”