Is tolerance for war decreasing with each generation?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Lisa Grimaldi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-grimaldi.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Is tolerance for war decreasing with each generation?

Post by Lisa Grimaldi »

Yes, tolerance for war is decreasing with each generation. I think a large part of that is media coverage. Vietnam was the first war that was covered extensively and nightly by television. Visions of horror and death came into everyone’s living room on the nightly news. We saw first- hand what was happening over there. No more pretending that it was all heroic and patriotic. Most unfortunately, that hatred of war led to condemnation of Vietnam vets. They still suffer today.
Shweta_tanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shweta-tanwar.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Shweta_tanwar »

I think the tolerance for war is decreasing day by day. We have seen all sorts of things that can happen through war that we don't feel like going through all of it again. The physical and mental stress it causes is like devastating.
Alexandra Rita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-rita.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Alexandra Rita »

We are naturally greedy people. Even though the prospect of a war-free world is enticing, I doubt it is possible to put an end to it. That aside, I believe out thirst for war has reduced.
Love Nico
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-nico.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Love Nico »

I believe our tolerance for war is decreasing. And for good reason. I also believe that war can be stopped completely one day. It depends on how bad we want it to stop.
UcheNduka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchenduka.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by UcheNduka »

I would say that to some extent it is decreasing because, in the previous times, fighting and winning a war remains a yardstick for measuring who's strong and better.
However, nowadays, there are new and better approaches to determine a great country, such as economy, technologies, HDI etc.
So, yes I think the tolerance for war is reducing. But I don't think war can be completely wiped away.
Janice Rho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janice-rho.html
Latest Review: The Elephant Tooth of '95 by Rana Baydoun

Post by Janice Rho »

As someone from the "new generation", it is true that many of my peers are against the idea of war. I think that this is due to the difference of ideals, and how the things and ideas we viewed as important years ago are not as important now. Back then it was so important to protect your country and fight for what is right, but now our generation is more focused on talking things out, and trying to find alternatives for violence.
Aditya_khadanga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditya-khadanga.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Aditya_khadanga »

I do think tolerance for war is decreasing with each generation as now we have literal records of what happened during that time and now we aren't financially and mentally ready to witness something like that again.
Flora Posh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora-posh.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Flora Posh »

I believe tolerance for war is decreasing for each generation. My generation does not want to fight anybody's war. I believe war can be eliminated from the world.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

No, not when we develop advance weapons for war, day in day out. Sure technology has made the voice of those against war louder, but I think they also the same number of people against war in the previous generations, their voices were just not loud enough. What i am trying to say, is no matter how many generations have pass, people still remain/behave the same.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
princejal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princejal.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by princejal »

As the world progresses, and every country becomes more and more interconnected through the use of technology, the reality of war, which was something that used to be distant is no more as we are able to see up close and personal the effect that war has on a people or a system. We see the death, the blood, the suffering and as such we as a generation are less inclined to go to war and experience that suffering.
Eruore Ekpoh
Favorite Book: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eruore-ekpoh.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Eruore Ekpoh »

I completely agree that tolerance for war is decreasing with each generation, but at the same time, War is not something that can be completely eliminated.
Julia_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-review.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Julia_Review »

It is not possible to eliminate war. But we do have the most peaceful generation so far.
“How small a thought it takes to fill a life.”
― Ludwig Wittgenstein
Fred Dauda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fred-dauda.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Fred Dauda »

I agree that our tolerance for war is decreasing. Eliminating war someday is the dream I believe can become reality. It will demand a lot of sacrifice on every nation's part. So, it is possible to eliminate war one day.
Jennifer-Annie Abdul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookthumper.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Jennifer-Annie Abdul »

Nobody in their right minds want to witness a war. I believe that is why I'm the tolerance for that is reducing each generation. War is inevitable. It is bound to happen because we are so different from each other. I do not think it can you ver be eliminated.
Hughes Davidson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hughes-davidson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hughes Davidson »

Yes, tolerance for war is decreasing. While war cannot be eliminated totally, it can be reduced to the point that it will become almost non-existent.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”