Drafting Kids for War

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Re: Drafting Kids for War

Post by Tori_J »

Owuamanam Eberechukwu wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 20:00 Most governments, when in need, move beyond the status quo to draft kids for war.

If you had the power, would you end this menace? Or do you find reasons with the government for drafting young kids for war?
If I had the power, I would end war altogether. I really get frustrated that humans can't tolerate each other that much. Children should never be drafted for war, but even adults shouldn't have to fight and kill a fellow human too. Hopefully, one day, the human race will get here.
Soma45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma45.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Soma45 »

Children should have no business with a war of any sort what's so ever. They are to be sheltered in a safe and healthy environment and enjoy their childhood for their mental health.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

I don't really advice the drafting of kids for war but in a situation of emergency war, young adults could be trained for war.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I understand how there could be a need for soldiers during a war. I personally don't think any government should draft kids into a war. I wouldn't want my teens going off to war.
Judy knight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-knight.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Judy knight »

I don't think it is right to draft kids for war. They should not be exposed to that type of violence. It is absolutely unfair to do that to kids.
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

Yes, the threat that is drafting kids should be stopped. It is good this book sheds light on it.
Brown_Sucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brown-sucre.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out The Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 2 by Tom Wick

Post by Brown_Sucre »

I don't think it's ideal to have kids fight in wars, but during dire situations countries are forced to use every human power and resource available. I'm not an advocate for drafting kids, but then, it is what it is.
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Radhika Nair »

Drafting kids seems counterintuitive to me. What good are hare-brained youth in the armed forces except for being brain-washed and manipulated and turned into violent and uncouth vagabonds? But I guess that's the point, and it's sad. Might as well hire trained, seasoned fighters who are at least clear about why they're there and what they will do and how.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

I'd definitely end it. First, the age set out for youths to enroll into the military is quite young. Even though they're trained for a certain period of time, I still think the age limit should be lifted. Most of the time it's always because the kids are full of energy, with a lot of stamina and are seen to be fit for the war field.
Abeke Sara Muturyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abeke-sara-muturyo.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Abeke Sara Muturyo »

If I had the power, I would end it and imprison anyone that suggests such. This has got to stop. It always baffles me when kids are forced to die because adults did not know how to act or react right.
Keine Gheyinmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Keine Gheyinmi »

I do not support countries drafting children for war. They are still young and have a long way ahead with dreams so why waste their lives on the battle fields. If they are gone, who will take care of their parents in the future? Who will achieve their dreams? After the war no one even remembers that there were young children that fought for the safety of their country.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

Abu_Aisha1 wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 04:38 No matter the situation, drafting kids for war for me is totally irresponsible and unacceptable for any government. Hence, if I have the power, I would not hesitate to end this menace at this very minute wherever it's happening across the world.
Definitely...kids do not need to grow under such influences its very bad for their growth. They should not be included in matters like this until at least when they are eighteen and older.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Joanne Ike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanne-ike.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Joanne Ike »

Children should absolutely never be drafted. Honestly, no one should have to be forced to fight in wars but especially not children. A country's leaders start the war and then the citizens suffer. I understand being patriotic but that should be a choice and not something mandatory and since children are unable to make this choice (as they are not legally adults), they should absolutely be exempted. Sometimes, even the adults don't understand why they're fighting, why they have to die for a war they didn't start, not to mention children. Just the thought of it is horrifying.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Owuamanam Eberechukwu wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 20:00 Most governments, when in need, move beyond the status quo to draft kids for war.

If you had the power, would you end this menace? Or do you find reasons with the government for drafting young kids for war?
Of course, I would! Wars, especially modern ones, are absurd. I mean "modern" because well...let's face it, we weren't going to stop Hitler by talking nicely. But modern wars are usually just a power game where kids are pawns. The people who start them, and the people who benefit from them, never even touch war territory.
Perfect Ojonugwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-perfect-ojonugwa.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Perfect Ojonugwa »

They lack background. Sending them to combat is merely a death sentence. If I had the ability, I would surely stop it.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”