Drafting Kids for War

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Re: Drafting Kids for War

Post by Gavice Victoria »

TusharJoshi wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 12:52 It all depends upon the situation. The feeling of patriotism may be overwhelming for many- urging them to defend their nation if that is the case. War is a complex topic and it's the individual's choice that should triumph over the interests of the state.
I don't think kids should be involved in wars at all. Come to think of it, what exactly can kids accomplish that would cause governments to even consider using them as combatants? It is synonymous to sending them out to go and die.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

Chimereucheya Okoroafo wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 13:10 In cases like this, if nothing is done, the war will still come to them. Nobody is safe during wars, and the governments do this to hide themselves and because they know that people can't complain because they are at war.
The main problem is letting a war happen. If I was in power, that's what I'd try to avoid.
I fervently hope that when as our generation assumes leadership in the coming years, we will cease sending children to fight in conflicts. Send the elderly guys to battle to finish what they started. You can't bring in an innocent generation to get kied for something they didn't start.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

Lindzy Herbrand wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 13:10 Whenever I read historical fiction or non-fiction pertaining to war, like with Wild World, I am relieved that in the U.S. there is no longer a mandatory draft. I don’t think it’s right for any age or country to force their citizens to fight without choice. As such my thoughts are that children should absolutely be exempt from drafts, and only those of legal consenting adult age should be allowed to participate.
This subject is really significant. I oppose conscripting children into the military. Even though I am aware that I will never have the authority to end such a horrifying practice, I still stand vehemently against it. It should be wrong both legally and morally. Thank God the law is better in the US.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

Kelsey Roy wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 15:29 There is absolutely no reason to draft children for war in civilized society. Consider what war does to full grown adults emotionally, physically, and mentally. Even if children were able to fight physically, the national emotional toll would negatively affect the nation for generations.
This is very true. Kids should not be exposed to the horrors of war because they lack experience. Laws must be passed to prevent this behavior.This has a serious negative impact on mental health. The kind of trauma that people see at younger ages still affet them even when they are adults.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

Cwaganagwa Dorothy wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 01:49 In my opinion, it is menacing, but such times just go to show that there is inadequance of qualified persons or those who would love to join without being forced or called upon. I think it is bad because I think that kids may not be able handle the emotional turmoil, terror, and hardships, however tough they mat be.
Although I am aware that a war requires soldiers, I do think the people fighting the battle should have the choice of using kids. Every time a desperate administration wants to win a war at any cost, they act in this manner and send people of all ages forcefully without even considering the implications of the action in the coming years.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

Abu_Aisha1 wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 04:38 No matter the situation, drafting kids for war for me is totally irresponsible and unacceptable for any government. Hence, if I have the power, I would not hesitate to end this menace at this very minute wherever it's happening across the world.
I could see why the government would feel compelled to frequently set up a system of enrolling children in the military during times of famine or conflict. However, We must stop sending young people into battle to support the adults who initiate wars.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

Reading_Jack wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 07:03 They are not experienced. Taking them to war is simple sending them to death. I would definitely stop it if I had power.
No experience at all! Even though it is a cowardly act to sit back and watch as your country is destroyed by vengeful men, that doesn't mean that those who are incapable of properly looking after themselves should go and die in war. It ought to be restricted to men.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

Chinaka94 wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 14:13 I would end it. It's a desperate move to protect the nation, however, an alternative would be to purchase the services of armed forces of neighbors.
I agree with you. In extreme cases where the nation is in desperate need of fighters, the nation could purchase the service of armed forces, just as you have suggested. Sending children is a poor notion, because purposely subjecting kids to something as horrific as war is unacceptable. Let the generation that caused the war fight it.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:

Sara Scott wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 14:56 There is absolutely zero reason for children to ever be drafted into war.
There are innumerable reasons why this is an atrocious premise.
They are not yet developed, they are too young to fully understand what is going on. They do not have the capacity to deal with that level of trauma or the lasting impact it will have on them for their entire lives. How can they ever expect to reintegrate into society or rebuild their lives later?
Exactly my point! How could kids be forced to fight in a war they didn't chose to go in? Perhaps if they stopped beginning so many wars, we could concentrate on the important things. Any rational society should not support or encourage this.
Monkeymoney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monkeymoney.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monkeymoney »

Drafting kids for war is a very wicked thing to do. This made me remember the poem, "The Dinning Table" where the children of Alphabeta were dragged to war, while those in power ate and feasted. If I had the power, I'd stop it.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

I understand the government desperation, but I don't think drafting kids for war is the best decision. It's just exposing them to a kind of violence that can breed trauma.
Ekuma Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekuma-blessing.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd Edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekuma Blessing »

In my opinion, there is no justification for allowing kids to participate in combat in a civilized society. Looking at what war does to fully grown individuals emotionally and physically, not to mention children who face and battle physically; the emotional toll would badly influence the nation for centuries, does not make for a pretty history in my opinion. well done
Ekuma Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekuma-blessing.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd Edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekuma Blessing »

In my opinion, there is no justification for allowing kids to participate in combat in a civilized society. Looking at what war does to fully grown individuals emotionally and physically, not to mention children who face and battle physically; the emotional toll would badly influence the nation for centuries, does not make for a pretty history in my opinion. well done
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

Drafting 17-year-olds to war is unjustifiable. If I were in the position of power, rather than draft kids, I will just hire war mercenaries to make up for the numbers.
Peace Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

I believe it is unreasonable to draft kids for war. Kids should be more concerned with their life goals. They should die because of the mistakes of adults. The government should also protect kids.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”