Arbitrary killing in the name of national Interest

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Abeke Sara Muturyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abeke-sara-muturyo.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Arbitrary killing in the name of national Interest

Post by Abeke Sara Muturyo »

What the government did in the book was disgusting and barbaric. Why do that when they could simply arrested the individuals? This just shows how little some governments value human life. Killing in the name of national interest cannot be justified.
Chinedu Nwakaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedu-nwakaji.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Chinedu Nwakaji »

Arbitrary killings all in the name of national interest are highly tumultuous and unjustified. It is a very cruel act to embark upon and the law enforcement agencies must understand this clearly and desist from it.
Chinedu Nwakaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedu-nwakaji.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Chinedu Nwakaji »

I see no sense in killing arbitrarily and wrapping it up ok the umbrella of national interest. It is highly detestable and a very cruel act. This should not be encouraged at all.
Joanne Ike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanne-ike.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Joanne Ike »

Killing in the name of national interest could never be justified. No matter the situation. A government that kills children is horrifying. But sadly, these are the realities of war. Honestly, I'm baffled when I think about what could possibly be the justification for such things. How do the perpetrators live with themselves? Is simply justifying it as 'national interest' enough to assuage their consciences? These are the thoughts that run through my head when I think about this scenario
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Olomofe »

I was as well left with confusion as to what rationality it is for government to start killing people on an open fire. In every ways the rationality can't be justified.
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

Arbitrary killing in the name of national interest is not justified. The government killing its citizens for practicing their fundamental rights cannot be justified. It is a barbaric act and is wrong anyway you look at it.
Phil Akor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phil-akor.html
Latest Review: Why Does Government Need to be Funded? by Amphidromus

Post by Phil Akor »

The killing isn't justified in any way. The students were unarmed. I do not see how the killing of innocent civilians benefits the nation.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Unless the government is trying to reduce the population, I do not see how the killing of unarmed protesting students would benefit the nation.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

It depends on the aspect on which the killing is looked at. When we look at it from the perspective of the book, that is, killing peaceful protesters, killing students, killing your citizens that were expressing their freedom of speech, then, it can't be justified.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Sumto Nii wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 15:33 This book evokes memories. I don't understand how governments can be very insensitive. In my country, on 20th October, 2020, soldiers opened fire at a group of unarmed youth protesting against police brutality and harrasmemt of young people. And a lot of youths lost their lives. Actions like are cruel and barbaric. Government is meant to lives and properties. Not to randomly kill people on a peaceful protest. Arbitrary killing of people for any reason whatsoever is wrong. It can't be justified in any way.
When I read that part of Wild World in which the killing of protesters occured, this same incident that you talked about was all that was in my mind. It was same thing that happened. It's a terrible thing for the government to kill it's citizens.
Mbali Qalinge
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: He
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbali-qalinge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbali Qalinge »

Taking the lives of innocent people can never be justified, even if it's in the name of national interest. I can understand opening fire and people getting killed in a war even if wars should not be happening, but to do so on young children, I can't fathom the logic in that.
Amarachi Nwankwo03
Currently Reading: Summer Showers
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarachinwankwo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amarachi Nwankwo03 »

It would never make sense to me. I strongly believe that in most cases, the government tries to make excuses for their unjust actions. It is one’s right to peacefully protest. The kids on that march did not deserve to die. They were unarmed and peaceful. Law enforcement is supposed to protect every life. Not just the lives of the wealthy and important. So when you take live, in a bid to save life. Does that not counter the entire thing ? Those killings can never be justified.
reader ps
Currently Reading: Blue Collar Cash
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-ps.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by reader ps »

No, I don't think it's okay to kill individuals arbitrarily in the name of national security. Even if you have proper evidence against them, killing someone just for the sake of killing is never justifiable.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

I do not think this can ever be justified. Killing people for the sake of national interest shows a weak government. I do feel, however, that this is inevitable in a war where no other options are left.
Ol Yinks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ol-yinks.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ol Yinks »

It doesn't make sense at all. I believe the government may have selfish reasons for killing those people. It is wrong and it can't be justified.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”