Do Old People Spend More Than Youths?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
exbestfriend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exbestfriend.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Re: Do Old People Spend More Than Youths?

Post by exbestfriend »

This is a trick question. I think both demographics spend at the same rate; it depends on their lifestyle and economic power. While it seems like old people spend more, young people also do the same.
Joy Max
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-max.html
Latest Review: Scam Story by Gini Graham Scott

Post by Joy Max »

I think it depends on what age range you'd classify as old and young. For example, a thirty five year old father or mother probably spends more than an eighty year old. The thirty five year old has to take care of both their needs and their children's needs whereas an eighty year old is just taking care of his or herself.

On the other hand a sixteen year old probably spends less than an eighty year old. Their parents are the ones that shoulder the bulk of their expenses unlike an eighty year old who has to take care of his or herself.
Dchel050
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dchel050 »

My review is not showing on google for DChel Valves with another account but it shows that it is posted when I see it with my account.
Ammarah Azhar Khan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammarah-azhar-1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Ammarah Azhar Khan »

I think as the age increases, the expenses increase as well. many people a diagnosed with illnesses in their early 40s that stays with them for the rest of their life, therefore a large chunk of money goes there leaving them with less money to spend on daily basis. they have no money to spare and all the savings expire early. that may be why people think that old people spend more than Youths.
Ivan Mukaaga
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-mukaaga.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ivan Mukaaga »

No friend, the reason they save is not because they spend more, rather, it’s because they will spend yet not having any income.
Rinkal21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rinkal21 »

No. Old people tend to adjust to whatever they have around. According to me, they try to save money more compared to the youths. I believe that old people have felt the importance of money in their past times when the world was not modernised as it is in present times. I feel that youths should learn from old people how to effectively save and manage money.
Shibeshi Kassa
Favorite Book: A Systems Thinking Decision Making Process
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shibeshi-kassa.html
Latest Review: 10 Leading Tools by KG Butler

Post by Shibeshi Kassa »

This depends upon the income of person when he is young and old now. If the income increases , and cost of goods and services increases when a person is old yes the expenditure of older will increase more than younger . It all depends upon income and inflation level . In general I feel old people spend more than youth because they heavily consume for expenditure of family , tour and recreation etc.
SparkindaGl0
Currently Reading: On Becoming Me: Memoir of an 80's Teenager
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by SparkindaGl0 »

I believe so. Old people spend more because the youths needs it. Old people are always spending on necessities more than wants. I’ve noticed my mom doing the opposite… She spends more than what she needs after all of her kids moved out. I think she feels lonely and not wanted or needed, :( . I love you, ℳ𝒶𝓂𝒾.
Favi001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favi001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Favi001 »

In some cases, I believe old people spend more than youths because there is a lot that they cannot do for themselves and would need to pay to have people do it for them.
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

I think spending has nothing to do with age but how you were brought up and how you reason too. I spend more than some old persons and some old people also spend more than others. So it would be needless to say, that an old person spends less than the young or otherwise
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

The truth remains that most youths don't like spending time with the old ones, because they feel old people are old-fashioned. But the old ones always want to converse with them.
Carly Sprout
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

Alice Fu wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 15:33 I can imagine the average old person spending more money than the youth. Younger individuals have the support of their parents while older people have to find ways to get by on their own. If they are physically inept, they have to pay for caretakers 24/7 as well, which would quickly drain out their money.
Wouldn't it typically become the financial responsibility of the younger relative to pay for the elder's healthcare? I have never encountered a senior citizen who paid for their own caretaker. Perhaps it is a cultural difference.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

Yes, of course. However, this does not seem to be a general situation. However, older adults will spend more chiefly for different reasons especially connected to health.
nina soledad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-soledad.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by nina soledad »

I agree with the idea that one should save for retirement at an early age or as soon as one starts to earn. However, the salary may not be enough for an individual to save at that age because of some reasons such as paying college debts, assuming the role of the family breadwinner, or staying in a place with a high cost of living. Furthermore, saving at that age could be a challenge to some since it is their first time to earn and some may not be responsible enough to save for their future needs.
Nnekazoe
Currently Reading: Self-Help Sucks!
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnekazoe.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nnekazoe »

I don't think old people spend more than youths. They spend only what it's needed at that particular time and for that purpose. But the youths spend more on things they could have and want to have in the further years.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”