Chasm B/W Tradition and Reality

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Re: Chasm B/W Tradition and Reality

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I agree that the time of waiting after retirement to establish or plan is over. Every worker must start preparing for retirement from the moment they get into service. The reality now is that if you dont start early, it may be too late.
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

I totally agree with the author. People deserve to stop working at a certain age and live the rest of their lives doing whatever they wanted to do in their youth and couldn’t do because of the responsibilities they were supposed to fulfill.
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

I truly agree with the author that retirement should be seen as a new career because it can be more than just spending time to do hobbies. Also, by viewing it as a new career, people can continue to feel productive and helpful to society rather than a burden or just waiting for death. Lastly, people can continue to earn income which is necessary now that pensions are no longer being offered and more Americans are not saving enough to retire.
Ivan Mukaaga
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-mukaaga.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ivan Mukaaga »

I agree, retirement should be the beginning of another career but not forging ways to continue with the same carrier after retirement age. This has many advantages; 1- It opens space for the young generation also to have something to do, 2- It helps the retiring to widen his mind as he can now think of another carrier which may be the right one because of his advancing age.
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

Yes,I agree with the author. Retirement shouldn't be seen as the end of the world , rather it should be seen as a new chapter
Carly Sprout
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

I agree with the author. Retirement is only the next chapter of life. The reality is that many senior citizens have to continue working. Some might take up more of a consulting role in an allied field, others may try to generate a new form of income with a hobby.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

Yes, I agree. I concur. We never stop learning. And once we stop learning, we stop living. And hence we deteriorate and die. In so much as we have led an active life, we should keep up regardless of being retired from full employment.
IgnisRhapsody
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignisrhapsody.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by IgnisRhapsody »

I really like the author's perspective because people always have to stay active. No matter the age, we will always be able to do something. So seeing retirement as an opportunity for a new life is an excellent idea. Seeing the retreat as a different project will help many people to stay active. I don't know how possible that is because there aren't many retirement plans. Many companies make short contracts to avoid giving benefits to employees. But if you can plan a good system, you have to give yourself the opportunity to stay in good condition.
Nnekazoe
Currently Reading: Self-Help Sucks!
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnekazoe.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nnekazoe »

Yes, I agree with the author. We should make retirement an important goal and career because we intend to live our best life and also live a life of gratitude for our hardwork in the past.
Babalola Oluseyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babalola-oluseyi.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Babalola Oluseyi »

I do agree with the author. Retirement should be approached like a career, with goals, hopes, and plans. It is essentially what you will be doing until you die. I feel that this period is a time for chasing after the things you always wanted to do but couldn't do before.
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Radhika Nair »

Owuamanam Eberechukwu wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 15:35 According to the author we have outlived the time of hoping and adopting the old retirement mentality.(Tradition)

For the author, retirement should be the beginning of a new career.(Reality)

Do you agree with the author?
Am still thinking about it
How about you?
I think this is a good example of how modernization has changed people's perspective across the globe. Back in the day, life was more limited in scope, hence communities were more tight-knit, and there was far more than mere professional labour to keep people occupied and entertained. But in this fast-paced world of hustle and isolation and long hours of professional labour and the general struggles and lack of social and communal support that force people apart, how can one stay sane after retirement with nothing to do, nowhere to go, nobody to talk or listen to? Anyone who is relatively healthy when they retire will likely want to continue doing some kind of work. Maybe they'll have enough resources to live their dreams, travel or write books or whatever. But in spite of that line of reasoning and the inevitable socio-cultural phenomena that have brought us to this are to my mind utterly depressing. This pandemic has really hit home for me that you can go on harvesting skills, but if you don't have a community to stand by you in tough times, your corporate skills won't save you in the way you require saving then.
Joanne Ike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanne-ike.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Joanne Ike »

Yes. I definitely agree. Retirement should not only be seen as an end but also the beginning. The truth is that for many people, it may even be the beginning of passions they had once abandoned in favor of more lucrative pursuits. They had to make a living after all. So perhaps, retirement for some will be the start of their career as a writer or blogger, or artist. Maybe it will be the start of the European tour they had always wanted to experience. Maybe it will just mean more time to spend with family. Most definitely for most, it will mean a fresh start. A new beginning.
Chinenye Sus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: Evelyn by Umut Sasoglu

Post by Chinenye Sus »

At first, I could not get on the same page with the author on this. However, i came to an agreement that the idea is correct after reading the book and I now completely agree with the author.
Latest Review: Evelyn by Umut Sasoglu
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

It is really difficult for me to imagine retirement being at the beginning of one's career as this poses problems of guarantee for employers and whether their workers can still remain properly motivated.
Nweze Raalchukwu1
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nweze-raalchukwu1.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nweze Raalchukwu1 »

I partially agree with what the author said. I do not think it should be thought about as a career. I think it is more of a phase where you decide to choose yourself, family and health as the priority. Thinking of it as a career seems somewhat restrictive

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”