Chasm B/W Tradition and Reality

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Chasm B/W Tradition and Reality

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

According to the author we have outlived the time of hoping and adopting the old retirement mentality.(Tradition)

For the author, retirement should be the beginning of a new career.(Reality)

Do you agree with the author?
Am still thinking about it
How about you?
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

Yes, I agree with the author. We should make retirement a career. The career is living out the rest of our lives and experiencing/doing the things that we have never done before. It is the time to make your happiness, your family, and your health a priority. We should be doing that our whole lives, but the reality is most of us just can't find the time to really take notice of said practices. So, yes, we should be acting as if retirement is a career; a career that we control and do what makes us happy.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Yes I agree with the author, retirement should be taken as a career. I have seen people live unhappy after their retirement because life became boring without work. But, if retirement is carefully planned and seen as a career. There will be things to keep one busy and happy.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Take an example of Lightning McQueen(A racecar). He was asked to retire but then he chose not to. He didn't want to retire as his heart was on the field. So if retirement can become, something but not exactly, like a career, then maybe I agree with the author. And careful planning is really going to help in life after retirement.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Yes, I agree with the author. Too often we see retirement as an end result rather than a process. We work and save, hoping that what we save will ultimately meet our needs. This sometimes does not happen.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

For me I think not so much as a life depending career but not make it a lazy time u can still earn money in other ways but not work as hard as u use to and not make it a priority because it's time of relaxing and enjoying life and experience ne things
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Yes, I also think that retirement can be a another chapter, in consideration of our age, necessities, achievements and what we still hope to achieve in life. It can also make us good counselors in regard to our experiences.
AnnaMarie Collins
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamarie-collins.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AnnaMarie Collins »

I think retirement is a personal choice, as some want to do it and some don't. That said, for those who choose retirement, I think it's the start of a new chapter in their lives; time to travel, try new hobbies, volunteer, and learn new things. Retirement can be exciting :D
Gabriela Contreras
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriela-contreras.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriela Contreras »

bishop_444 wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 16:35 Yes, I agree with the author. We should make retirement a career. The career is living out the rest of our lives and experiencing/doing the things that we have never done before. It is the time to make your happiness, your family, and your health a priority. We should be doing that our whole lives, but the reality is most of us just can't find the time to really take notice of said practices. So, yes, we should be acting as if retirement is a career; a career that we control and do what makes us happy.
I agree, a career can be life itself, doing what we never could do because of time, or opinions, or whatever. Retirement should be making life a priority
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

There's a cliché controversial statement on retirement being the beginning of an end. I believe this is thus because retirement calls for a complete overhaul of routine, lifestyle, income sources. Managing such is only possible if one engages in prior strategy for retirement. Otherwise, depression is going to catch up on one sooner than later.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Perhaps I can agree if we view retirement as the time when you are your own boss of your own personal company. You have to manage your home and finances. Wake up with a purpose, whether it be meeting with a social group, volunteering, keeping busy with a hobby, or running a side gig for a little extra income. Keep a schedule of things to look forward to. Plan trips to visit children and grandchildren. There are many things to keep you going throughout retirement. You don't just have to sit on your porch and watch the world go by. Although that is an enjoyable activity from time to time.
Nathalie Elsa Nelson
Currently Reading: Of the Earth
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsa-lee.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Nathalie Elsa Nelson »

I believe that retirement is a personal choice, some people want to do it and some people don't, it's different for everyone. For those who choose to retire, living your life after retirement can be your new career.
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Akinola John »

Yes, I agree with the author. After retirement traveling out the world, enjoying one's life, or teaching others how you have been able to achieve your goals before retirement can become the beginning of a new career.
Sabahat Kamran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabahat-kamran.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Sabahat Kamran »

I think that when it comes to retirement, there isn't a "one size fits all" idea of how you should retire. The author made a good point by saying that us living longer means that retirement can be seen as a new chapter rather than the end. I think that's why we should have some sort of concrete plan and structure for that time in our life.
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

Very true. A person can retire to face another aspect in life, especially for age 40 and above. The person can decide to start a firm or something he wishes to own.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”