Fiction/Classic Discussion

For May 2022 we'll be reading General Fiction/Classics books.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Fiction/Classic Discussion

Post by gali »

This month we will be reading Fiction/Classic books.

General fiction is "the catch-all term for novels and other literature that don't fit into a particular genre."

Classic is "a book that has been recognized by critics and the public to be excellent and a “must-read". It represents a genre or a writing style, or it can be a novel that makes a contribution to literature. There are all kinds of classics, from horror classics to romance classics."

Some guiding discussion points
  • What are you reading/have read for this month? Share the title and author of the book you read.
  • What were your impressions?
  • What genre is the book?
  • What makes it a classic if at all?
  • What are some characteristics that you see in the book that seem unique to the genre?
  • What rating would you give this read?
  • Would you recommend the book you read? Why or why not?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

Did people really not respond to this question? Ok, here goes:
I’m reading Another Gospel by Alisa Childers, and it is extremely thought-provoking for me. I grew up Protestant (a Christian), and this book challenges believers to know why they believe what they say they believe. No more just spouting off “because the Bible says so” or “because that’s what I was taught.” This book reminds me of Lee Strobel and his quest to disprove Christianity, but instead became a Christian due to his research. This author grew up Christian and is now defending her why.
This is obviously not going to become a classic because it is extremely controversial, but it does challenge readers to understand why they believe what they say they believe.
This is a Christian information book - it’s not an inspirational one, but one that teaches and challenges the reader.
I’m giving it a 4 out of 4 stars for the simple fact that it had informed and challenged me so much already.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Kayla Archer wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 22:29 Did people really not respond to this question? Ok, here goes:
I’m reading Another Gospel by Alisa Childers, and it is extremely thought-provoking for me. I grew up Protestant (a Christian), and this book challenges believers to know why they believe what they say they believe. No more just spouting off “because the Bible says so” or “because that’s what I was taught.” This book reminds me of Lee Strobel and his quest to disprove Christianity, but instead became a Christian due to his research. This author grew up Christian and is now defending her why.
This is obviously not going to become a classic because it is extremely controversial, but it does challenge readers to understand why they believe what they say they believe.
This is a Christian information book - it’s not an inspirational one, but one that teaches and challenges the reader.
I’m giving it a 4 out of 4 stars for the simple fact that it had informed and challenged me so much already.
Thank you for the recommendation. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “May 2022 Genre Discussion”